ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SO cable vs SOOW cable  (Read 2140 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
SO cable vs SOOW cable
« on: June 01, 2023, 08:05:53 AM »

(It's trash pick-up day in my area of the town.)

On trash pick up day people sometimes odds/ends out for the "scrappers" to collect and sell.

I was out for my morning walk this a.m. and found a 50' length of 10/3 Royal Electric SO cable terminated with NEMA 6-20 connectors.

The rubber jacket is in excellent shape and it looks like the cable was used in a home to power a window AC (which was next to the cable on the side of the road).

To point:
My power cables (for portable sound) are all SOOW.
I have looked up some info regarding the difference between SO and SOOW and the info is vague.

I know that the SO is oil resistant - but is it also water resistant?  I assume so.............but.........?

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: SO cable vs SOOW cable
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 09:53:40 AM »

On trash pick up day people sometimes odds/ends out for the "scrappers" to collect and sell.

I was out for my morning walk this a.m. and found a 50' length of 10/3 Royal Electric SO cable terminated with NEMA 6-20 connectors.

The rubber jacket is in excellent shape and it looks like the cable was used in a home to power a window AC (which was next to the cable on the side of the road).

To point:
I have looked up some info regarding the difference between SO and SOOW and the info is vague.

I know that the SO is oil resistant - but is it also water resistant?  I assume so.............but.........?

The types of SO cord:

S = Service cord

J = Junior service cord

O = Oil-resistant outside jacket

OO = Oil-resistant both inside insulation and outside jacket

W = Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA) designation for weather and water resistance

T = Thermoplastic

E = Elastomer

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 10:34:33 AM »

Lucky you! If the outer jacket and conductor insulation are in good shape I’d use it in a heartbeat. Don’t worry about the missing “W”. I really doubt an inspector will ding you unless you use it for a pool light or submersible pump.

I’ve got S cords that I bought surplus when I was a teenager (66 now) and they’re still going strong – stronger than I am. --Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 01:13:49 PM »

Awesome find!  Cables treated well can easily last a lifetime.

The difference between SO and SOW is the weather rating of the wire.  It's both weather and water resistant. The water part is typically the filler material between the conductors, as the outer shell is clearly water resistant already.

The weather part also included UV protection in the cable.  SO wire left in the sun tends to get brittle and crack eventually.  SOW would last longer in that scenario.
Brian Jojade

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 07:27:50 AM »

To point:

SCORE!!!!

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 07:58:04 AM »

SCORE!!!!

I used that particular recently-found-cord on a high school graduation gig last week and my tech buddy couldn't stop talking about my find - lol.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 04:45:28 PM »

I used that particular recently-found-cord on a high school graduation gig last week and my tech buddy couldn't stop talking about my find - lol.

We are the ultimate nerds, getting excited about electrical cable.   ;)

GTD

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 04:45:28 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.