ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: unshielded vs shielded Cat5 for router  (Read 1536 times)

Robert Lunceford

unshielded vs shielded Cat5 for router
« on: May 27, 2023, 12:58:16 PM »

The A&H QU series has a shielded network cable port as does the Airport Express router.
Any advantage or disadvantage to using shielded Cat5 cable between the QU and the Airport Express?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: unshielded vs shielded Cat5 for router
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 01:43:14 PM »

The A&H QU series has a shielded network cable port as does the Airport Express router.
Any advantage or disadvantage to using shielded Cat5 cable between the QU and the Airport Express?

The devices in question should be shield-agnostic.  In fact, all networkable devices should be.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 02:00:04 PM »

The biggest disadvantages of shielded cable are cost, rigidity, fragility, and weight, and for most Ethernet applications the advantages are pretty nominal. IIRC, Ubiquiti encourages shielded cable for their APs because it offers increased protection against lightning-strike damage, but if that's something you're worried about then I'm guessing you're going to have bigger challenges than your AP. ;D

That all said, given that at least one end of the cable run is properly grounded, you aren't going to make things worse by using shielded Ethernet cable (if you're reusing stuff you have lying around, for example), but for most applications I wouldn't suggest going out of your way to do so.

-Russ

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 02:02:26 PM »

The devices in question should be shield-agnostic.  In fact, all networkable devices should be.

The only caveat to this I can think of is that if neither device grounds the connector shell then the shield will float, which has the potential to can cause all sorts of issues.

-Russ

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 09:08:29 PM »

In fact, all networkable devices should be.

All IP networked traffic that goes through a switch, yes.  Technically digital sound boards and stage boxes are 'networkable' and many of those protocols specify shielded cable.  Commented for future searches, I know you know this. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2023, 09:58:25 PM »

All IP networked traffic that goes through a switch, yes.  Technically digital sound boards and stage boxes are 'networkable' and many of those protocols specify shielded cable.  Commented for future searches, I know you know this.

I mean, technically, most of the console-to-stagebox protocols that specify shielded cable are merely point-to-point connections and not actually "networkable", and for most (all?) of the exceptions (e.g. Yamaha's Dante connections) shielded cable is really more of a suggestion than a requirement. :)

-Russ

Scott Helmke

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 09:56:00 AM »

On the other side of the question there's radiation of network noise from unshielded cables.  Yes, that's RF, though it tends to be pretty localized. If you're interested in using VHF for wireless frequencies then you'll definitely want to think about it.

Thomas Le

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 10:13:09 AM »

I use unshielded from my SQ5 to my Edgerouter X SFP, haven't seen any issues.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2023, 10:18:15 AM »

On the other side of the question there's radiation of network noise from unshielded cables.  Yes, that's RF, though it tends to be pretty localized. If you're interested in using VHF for wireless frequencies then you'll definitely want to think about it.

This is reason enough for me to run shielded ethernet cables on everything regardless of RF frequency band used as a best practice.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 09:44:06 PM »

This is reason enough for me to run shielded ethernet cables on everything regardless of RF frequency band used as a best practice.

Twisted pair has a remarkably high CMRR.  I can't imagine that Cat5e and later has appreciable emissions that could induce from one STP to another.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 09:44:06 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.