ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Baseball stadium speakers/horns  (Read 2045 times)

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Baseball stadium speakers/horns
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2023, 03:53:08 PM »

The plastic cap with a crack in it is mostly cosmetic, but also will impact weather proofing.  Sealing it up with epoxy wouldn't be a bad idea.

The speakers are tapped for 40 watts on a 70 volt system.  If you don't have a 70 volt amp, these are tapped as 125 ohm speakers.  Moving the tap over to the 16 ohm tap would give you significantly more volume with your existing amp.  These horns are rated at 100 watts, if I remember correctly, so paired with the behringer would be a good load and they should get loud enough to rip your face off.  However, realize that they have a limited effective frequency response.  If you try to send low frequencies to them, you'll quickly overdrive them.  Dropping everything under 200hz on the EQ would be a good idea to maximize what you can get and would be perfectly fine for voice. Music will sound like a horn, no matter what you do.

They are rated at 60 watts and Atlas specifies a 300Hz crossover in the typical style for 70v horns.  Simple 6dB/oct with a single 4 microfarad capacitor when tapped at 40 watts/70v.  If running 16 ohm the recommended capacitor value jumps to 33 microfarad.

https://www.atlasied.com/vcf/ATS001741B-PD-30T-60T-5V-Install-Sheet.pdf

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Kevin Russcher

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2023, 04:09:32 PM »

They are rated at 60 watts and Atlas specifies a 300Hz crossover in the typical style for 70v horns.  Simple 6dB/oct with a single 4 microfarad capacitor when tapped at 40 watts/70v.  If running 16 ohm the recommended capacitor value jumps to 33 microfarad.

https://www.atlasied.com/vcf/ATS001741B-PD-30T-60T-5V-Install-Sheet.pdf

Lee
What does the capacitor do for the speaker? I don't have to worry about the cross over frequency since I don't have a 70v system right?

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2023, 05:49:10 PM »

What does the capacitor do for the speaker? I don't have to worry about the cross over frequency since I don't have a 70v system right?

The capacitor functions as a first order high pass filter. 
Since you have a limited frequency response driver in that horn that has no built in protection against low frequencies a crossover (or some way to limit the amount of low frequency) reducing the low frequency to the driver is required or you will damage the driver itself.  This has nothing to do with the speaker being run through a 70v transformer or not.  It is about the speaker design itself.

The rating of the capacitor would change depending on the tap that you use on the speaker input.  This is shown on the table at the bottom of the document that I linked.  This is also shown there but to emphasize it "Use non polarized electrolytic capacitors rated at 150VDC or greater, wired in series with the positive lead of the speaker line, one per driver." 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2023, 10:02:46 PM »

In addition to Lee's comment 70 volt systems need to also be high passed based on the transformer at the speaker or horn so the transformer does not saturate from high levels of low frequency, when that happens the amp sees more or less a dead short.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2023, 10:02:46 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.