ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF Sub8006 and SRX828SP  (Read 2355 times)

Travis Retrum

RCF Sub8006 and SRX828SP
« on: May 22, 2023, 09:20:07 AM »

We upgraded our tops and now our 4 KW181s can’t keep up. I’m looking at these 2 choices. I’m aware these subs are in 2 different classes of price point. Im curious of comparing in terms of output. Does anyone know the excursion capability of the drivers in these boxes? If I can use 1 8006 where I would need 2 of the 828sp that would save space and set up. How much real world output does the RCF sub8006 have compared to the SRX828SP?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: RCF Sub8006 and SRX828SP
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 01:40:25 PM »

We upgraded our tops and now our 4 KW181s can’t keep up. I’m looking at these 2 choices. I’m aware these subs are in 2 different classes of price point. Im curious of comparing in terms of output. Does anyone know the excursion capability of the drivers in these boxes? If I can use 1 8006 where I would need 2 of the 828sp that would save space and set up. How much real world output does the RCF sub8006 have compared to the SRX828SP?

I suggest you audition them both, they sound very different to me but I've not heard them side-by-side.

There is also a significant difference in price.  The USA minimum advertised price for the RCF seems to be around $6k.  The MAP for the SRX is around $2k5.  Do you get 4db$ more performance in the real world or have 4dB$ preference in the way the RCF sounds?  Do you get 4dB$ improvement in transportation, handling, warehousing, or fitting into tight venues (fewer units needed for same performance)?

I think your decision will be more influenced by the most common genre or use of this rig.  The SRX has less "slam" and is easily one of the smoothest subwoofers JBL has sold in the SRX line.  The RCF is no slouch, either, and the LF extension is there and it seems to have more 65-90Hz "slam" factor to my memory.

Not sure where you're located, Travis, but the SRX828sp are fairly ubiquitous and can be rented easily in many locales.  The RCF likely will be a different matter unless you're in a major metro area.  Rent one of each and do a little shootout.  Let us know what you find.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 02:52:01 PM »

Hi Travis,

I am an srx828sp owner and have owned the RCF 9006 and auditioned the 8006 plenty.  While the 828 is a good price point (was even more so when I purchased them) the 8006 will murder them in my opinion.  I did do a side by side with 9006 and 828.  It took two 828 to have a similar perceived output of the 9006.  A lot of RCF users have said they feel the 8006 has more output than the 9006 with tonality going to 9006. 

In reality the 8006 costs more but you can do more with less of them in regards to the 828. 

The “Hair Splitters” can come along and ask for the definition of “murder’ in a subjective review but that is my experience. What originally peaked my interest in RCF was a band that played after a band I worked an event for.  Bands brought their own production.  I ran my srx835/828 with my band.  The band after us was using RCF 732 and 8003 subs.  The impact and tonality of single 8003 per side made up my mind right there and then.

The 828 is a fine sub and good value but not on the same level as the 8006. I also feel the 828sp is fairly underpowered for what it is.

Travis Retrum

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 07:40:02 PM »

Hi Travis,

I am an srx828sp owner and have owned the RCF 9006 and auditioned the 8006 plenty.  While the 828 is a good price point (was even more so when I purchased them) the 8006 will murder them in my opinion.  I did do a side by side with 9006 and 828.  It took two 828 to have a similar perceived output of the 9006.  A lot of RCF users have said they feel the 8006 has more output than the 9006 with tonality going to 9006. 

In reality the 8006 costs more but you can do more with less of them in regards to the 828. 

The “Hair Splitters” can come along and ask for the definition of “murder’ in a subjective review but that is my experience. What originally peaked my interest in RCF was a band that played after a band I worked an event for.  Bands brought their own production.  I ran my srx835/828 with my band.  The band after us was using RCF 732 and 8003 subs.  The impact and tonality of single 8003 per side made up my mind right there and then.

The 828 is a fine sub and good value but not on the same level as the 8006. I also feel the 828sp is fairly underpowered for what it is.

Thanks for your info. I was looking for someone who had a real world comparison. Do you think it’s a fair assumption that 1 8006 would produce about the same output as 2 828? If I can run 1 box instead of 2 without any downfall from doing it and then have that much more bass when adding a second box later it seems like a great choice.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2023, 12:03:52 AM »

I suggest you audition them both, they sound very different to me but I've not heard them side-by-side.

There is also a significant difference in price.  The USA minimum advertised price for the RCF seems to be around $6k.  The MAP for the SRX is around $2k5.  Do you get 4db$ more performance in the real world or have 4dB$ preference in the way the RCF sounds?  Do you get 4dB$ improvement in transportation, handling, warehousing, or fitting into tight venues (fewer units needed for same performance)?

I think your decision will be more influenced by the most common genre or use of this rig.  The SRX has less "slam" and is easily one of the smoothest subwoofers JBL has sold in the SRX line.  The RCF is no slouch, either, and the LF extension is there and it seems to have more 65-90Hz "slam" factor to my memory.

Not sure where you're located, Travis, but the SRX828sp are fairly ubiquitous and can be rented easily in many locales.  The RCF likely will be a different matter unless you're in a major metro area.  Rent one of each and do a little shootout.  Let us know what you find.

I don't know if it's still true but RCF owned DB Technology.  They had identical subs to this line.  I would need to find a powered 828 and you could rent the DB tech from us.  The other company that shares are warehouse has quite a few of the 8006 model he uses with a line array from DB tech.  It's a good rig.  We can test in lot, you can take with you or we can see if landlord will let us use an empty bay.

You near Cleveland?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2023, 08:55:37 AM »

Thanks for your info. I was looking for someone who had a real world comparison. Do you think it’s a fair assumption that 1 8006 would produce about the same output as 2 828? If I can run 1 box instead of 2 without any downfall from doing it and then have that much more bass when adding a second box later it seems like a great choice.

I would say yes.  The 8006 just has burliness to it that the 828 does not

Travis Retrum

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2023, 12:02:37 PM »

What do you mean by burliness?

Travis Retrum

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2023, 12:04:06 PM »

unfortunately not, I'm in Wisconsin

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023, 12:45:58 PM »

You might look at JTRs offerings.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 06:51:13 PM »

You might look at JTRs offerings.

Agreed, take a pair of 828 subs and compare them to a single Cap 218 Pro.  I haven't compared them, but would trust JTR for subs more than JBL.  Plus they're designed to play deep real bass, not just '80's kick drum mid-bass. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 06:51:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.