Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

L

<< < (2/2)

Chris Grimshaw:
Ivan,

Given that we're talking about drivers that'll handle 2KW@8ohm, I think we're outside the realm of using wimpy drivers.

I can imagine a couple of examples where a cheap driver might outperform a more expensive one, but those are relatively obscure cabinet designs operating without EQ. All of the modern cabinet designs do benefit from higher-end drivers. Otherwise, I'd expect to find the occasional square magnet in a Danley design  ;)

Chris

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: Chris Grimshaw on August 29, 2023, 01:55:47 AM ---Ivan,

Given that we're talking about drivers that'll handle 2KW@8ohm, I think we're outside the realm of using wimpy drivers.

I can imagine a couple of examples where a cheap driver might outperform a more expensive one, but those are relatively obscure cabinet designs operating without EQ. All of the modern cabinet designs do benefit from higher-end drivers. Otherwise, I'd expect to find the occasional square magnet in a Danley design  ;)

Chris

--- End quote ---
When I say "wimpier" I just meant "Less powerful"-at least in terms of wattage capability.  It could just be a half power (-3dB) model that could outperform a "stouter" model.

I won't say model numbers, but in one of the Danley designs, Tom originally wanted to use a "less powerful" driver because the model said it would work better, and cost less.

When the prototype cabinet was built, we tried the original "wimpier" driver and a more stout driver (that is used in other models).

The model was correct, the "wimpier" driver did indeed outperform the "better" driver.

However we went with the "better" driver for a number of reasons, none of which had anything to do with actual performance, and more to do with availability, lead times etc.

I'm just saying that in horns, "better" is not always better.

John Halliburton:

--- Quote from: Chris Grimshaw on August 25, 2023, 09:01:46 AM ---I think I'd try to find the biggest, meanest 12" sub driver I could. Faital Pro do a couple that might be worth a look. IIRC, Celestion have just released one as well.

Chris

--- End quote ---

Having known Jeff since our days at Sound Physics Labs, and helping him in the early days, and owning some Growlers(built some too), I'd say if Jeff can't replace or recone the original, some of the really beefy autosound drivers are probably the way to go.  As Ivan said, horns tend to be more "selective" of the driver match up, so it may be a trial and error situation for sure.

Best regards,

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version