Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Jackery Explorer Battery Powered AC Inverter

<< < (2/3) > >>

Steve-White:
You got me thinking Mark, so I slapped a voltmeter on it, then double checked it against a Fluke 101 DVM.

Reads 109V RMS no-load and 108V RMS with ~650W load on it.  Ran it for a full hour with the 650W heater resistive load on it and it showed to have 23% left on the battery.  The first 30 minutes it used 40% according to meter, so battery capacity metering is decent.

108V is pretty low, but may be in tolerance for grid power is some areas where the standard is 110V.  Dunno, amps seem to run ok on it, of course they wouldn't come up to full power, but this application doesn't get anywhere near that.

Think I'll look at some comparison testing videos on these things - not 100% sold on using this thing for contract sound work yet.

I was really hoping for a plug-and-play solution and not have to do variac testing on the amp racks to determine input voltage tolerance.

@ 108V RMS, I'm not impressed the output or lack thereof for the Jackery Explorer 880.

Oh well, so much for that plan.

I want the thing setup in a standard 19" road case, so maybe it's going to be a DIY component build.

Mark McFarlane:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on May 20, 2023, 03:46:57 PM ---...
I want the thing setup in a standard 19" road case, so maybe it's going to be a DIY component build.

--- End quote ---

If the unit gets hot, putting it in another case may cause premature failure.

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Mark McFarlane on May 20, 2023, 04:50:45 PM ---
If the unit gets hot, putting it in another case may cause premature failure.

--- End quote ---

Correct.  Front to back inlet -vs- exhaust airflow is mandatory and is a definite design consideration.

So, here what I'm at.  Less Money / More Time -vs- More Money / Less Time.  I always seem to find that paradigm.  Found a buck/boost 500W autoformer in eBay for ~$40 and since this rig will hold 650W for an hour, it will work.  Put the line boost transformer on it with +12V patch and it's 120V RMS, slap in in a SKB blow molded case with proper baffling for front to back air flow and I'll have a $1000 solution in a 19" case that gets it done.

Just takes a little time.  Off to ordering the Acme Electric T181047 Buck/Boost Transformer/Autoformer.

I'll post some pictures and test results when it's done.

I considered abandoning the Jackery and giving it to a pal for camping, but I want the setup in a standard blow molded SKB 19" rack for compatibility with the amp rack and mix/receiver racks so they can be mounted semi-permanently on a hand truck if I take that opting and ride nice in the truck with other gear.

Thanks for kicking the brain in gear Mark!

Mark McFarlane:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on May 20, 2023, 05:25:03 PM ---...Thanks for kicking the brain in gear Mark!

--- End quote ---

Glad to help.

Steve-White:
https://www.jackery.com/products/explorer-880-portable-power-station

Just to be sure the Jackery Explorer 880 was functioning correctly, I looked at the specs.  They claim output of 110V, so at 108V under load it's working properly.

It'll probably run things just fine @108V RMS, but I'm going to go ahead and boost it up 12V to 120VAC to maintain full headroom in the amps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version