Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Jackery Explorer Battery Powered AC Inverter

(1/3) > >>

Steve-White:
I recently picked up a Jackery Explorer 880 AC Power Inverter from Harbor Freight on sale.

Usage will be for small wedding ceremony PA, roughly 500W system.

Anybody using these things?  Testing at home, it will power up my full home entertainment system up to about 1/2 power level which is probably peaking around 750W at those levels.

It's quiet, no noise - seems like it should get the job done.

Riley Casey:
We bought an Ego Nexus unit with four batteries after doing the math on the extra labor  to deploy the cable ramps required for rallies at the capital and it worked fine for speech systems. Not sure I'd count on it for systems with deeper draw duty cycles like heavy music.

Mark McFarlane:
I'll take a wild guess and let the other more knowledgable people chime in.  You need to know how much power your PA system consumes, not how much power it outputs.  If the PA is 50% efficient outputting 750 watts, and the 880 can deliver what the specs say it can deliver, it looks like you'll get about 30 minutes of operation time.  If you have a lower efficiency class A amp you can probably play a couple songs before the power is gone.  Amplifier power efficiency is complicated...  Assuming the 880 puts out clean power (maybe a big assumption) I'd try it out at home, play some music and see what happens.

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Riley Casey on May 20, 2023, 09:29:17 AM ---We bought an Ego Nexus unit with four batteries after doing the math on the extra labor  to deploy the cable ramps required for rallies at the capital and it worked fine for speech systems. Not sure I'd count on it for systems with deeper draw duty cycles like heavy music.

--- End quote ---

My thoughts exactly Casey.  For a wedding ceremony it's 1-3 songs, perhaps 30 minutes of low background music, low enough so conversations can be had and then the clergyman for the actual ceremony.  Low demand and about 45 minutes give-or-take of duration.

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Mark McFarlane on May 20, 2023, 09:44:27 AM ---I'll take a wild guess and let the other more knowledgable people chime in.  You need to know how much power your PA system consumes, not how much power it outputs.  If the PA is 50% efficient outputting 750 watts, and the 880 can deliver what the specs say it can deliver, it looks like you'll get about 30 minutes of operation time.  If you have a lower efficiency class A amp you can probably play a couple songs before the power is gone.  Amplifier power efficiency is complicated...  Assuming the 880 puts out clean power (maybe a big assumption) I'd try it out at home, play some music and see what happens.

--- End quote ---

Hello Mark,
Yeah, with the setup running Full Tilt the Jackery may hold it up for 30 minutes or so.

Home Testing?  "Testing at home, it will power up my full home entertainment system up to about 1/2 power level which is probably peaking around 750W at those levels.

It's quiet, no noise - seems like it should get the job done."

Testing on the home entertainment whole house music/video system is ~3 times more power draw than the wedding setup will be.  Initial testing shows it will work.  Also did some testing with a small electric heater, which I use in multiples when load testing my generators.  On low the heater pulls ~650 watts and it holds that fine on a 30 minute test.

What I'm looking for is someone with experience using the Jackery - i.e. are they any good?  Relative to sizing and load, it looks be about right for intended usage.

I didn't look at the output on a scope, it's quiet so it works.  They claim it's sine wave output, no idea if that's true or if it's stepped.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version