ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: M32 / DL32 / M32R - FOH & MONs Routing  (Read 3336 times)

Peter Kowalczyk

Re: M32 / DL32 / M32R - FOH & MONs Routing
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2023, 02:58:06 AM »

It's basically the same, but in reverse. FOH console AES50-A is plugged into DL32 AES50-A, monitor console AES50-A is plugged into DL32 AES50-B), then:

On the monitor console:
  • Make sure that the "Out 1-8" and "Out 9-16" blocks are routed to the "AES50-A Out 1-8" and "AES50-A Out 9-16" blocks (IIRC this is the console default)
  • Route your monitor sends to Outputs 1-12

On the FOH console:
  • Route the "AES50-A In 33-40" block to the "AES50-A Out 1-8" block
  • Route the "User Out 9-16" block to the "AES50-A Out 9-16" block
  • Route "AES50-A In" 41-44 to "User Out" 9-12
  • Route "Out" 13-16 to "User Out" 13-16
  • Route your your L/R/Sub/FF sends to Outputs 13-16

It's more weight and expense, but there are times it's still worth it (and the X/M32 platform, which has one of the less-graceful gain-sharing systems out there, might be one of those times).

-Russ

Thanks Russ, That makes sense.  I'll give this a try on tomorrow's setup.  (Trying to do so in the offline editor and not finding the 'user' routing features there.  Hmmm)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2023, 09:34:04 AM »

{...}  (Trying to do so in the offline editor and not finding the 'user' routing features there.  Hmmm)

Huh, they should be there (if nothing else it's how I double-checked myself before posting); are you using the latest version of the editor? ("User" routing options were only added in firmware/editor version 4.)

-Russ

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2023, 01:04:22 AM »

Huh, they should be there (if nothing else it's how I double-checked myself before posting); are you using the latest version of the editor? ("User" routing options were only added in firmware/editor version 4.)

-Russ

Turns out it was just software / firmware incompatibility.  After updating both, this worked perfectly. 

Now, to ponder how to get a bidirectional talkback between the two desks. I'm sure there's a way...

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2023, 05:23:42 PM »

If the Monitor console is the clock master, then it can drive the DL32 outputs, but then I'm stuck on how to route FOH audio back to the system...

Any advice?  Muchas Gracias!

Which device is clock master has absolutely no impact on routing.  On the AES50 bus, one device and only one device is clock master and sends clock signals down the chain.  If you daisy chain devices, the clock master will send the clock signal out the other AES port.

I prefer to have the clock master in the MIDDLE of the AES50 chain, not way at the end at FOH.  If the FOH console gets disconnected, EVERYTHING goes down.  If your monitor console is clock master and you lose FOH, at least monitors would keep working.  Of course, if you lose the monitor console, everything goes down, but that's because you'd lose both clock AND the AES signal, so nothing would stop that.

Now, to ponder how to get a bidirectional talkback between the two desks. I'm sure there's a way...

You can route the talkback inputs down AES, although that gives you no level control on the local board.  If you assign the talkback to one of the busses, then send that bus down AES now it'll follow the button and level control.  The easiest thing to then do is use up an aux channel on the destination console so you can route the talkback where it needs to be (which speakers, IEMs it should come out of).  Eg, aux1 would be talkback coming from the other console, which could be mixbus 16. If you want 2 different talkbacks, you could use mixbus 15 and aux 2 as well.
Brian Jojade

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2023, 06:09:43 PM »

Which device is clock master has absolutely no impact on routing. {...}

Huh, I've always ASSumed that the DL32 will only clock to its AES50-A port (at which point the console with direct access to the DL32's outputs and headamp control must also be the clock master); is that not the case?

-Russ

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2023, 12:46:31 AM »

Huh, I've always ASSumed that the DL32 will only clock to its AES50-A port (at which point the console with direct access to the DL32's outputs and headamp control must also be the clock master); is that not the case?

-Russ

On the DL32, you must connect port A to the clock master source.  However, it's possible that the mixer it's connected to isn't the actual clock source.  If you're daisy chaining mixers, the clock could be multiple steps upstream.  Clock is just what keeps all of the devices in sync for digital communication.  Everything else is separate.
Brian Jojade

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2023, 01:47:26 PM »

On the DL32, you must connect port A to the clock master source.  However, it's possible that the mixer it's connected to isn't the actual clock source.  If you're daisy chaining mixers, the clock could be multiple steps upstream.  Clock is just what keeps all of the devices in sync for digital communication.  Everything else is separate.

You're definitely right about daisy-chaining, but if you can't clock the DL32 off the S/DL32's AES50-B port when using it in split mode (i.e. with no daisy-chaining) then the choice of clock master would end up having a pretty significant impact on system routing, no?

-Russ

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2023, 05:08:23 PM »

You're definitely right about daisy-chaining, but if you can't clock the DL32 off the S/DL32's AES50-B port when using it in split mode (i.e. with no daisy-chaining) then the choice of clock master would end up having a pretty significant impact on system routing, no?

-Russ

I'm puzzling over the 'Clock Master' issue right now regarding a new project.  I'm upgrading a community theater install with an X32 & S32, and we're now adding an M32C.  We intend for them to be used either/or, exclusively, and ideally without re-patching anything in the back of the Rack.  Thats tricky if ONLY the AES50A port on the S32 can receive a clock; I guess I missed that detail. 

I seem to recall hearing that the S32 could serve as the clock master - is that possible?

Failing that, I guess I can configure the M32C as the Clock Master, and configure different routing modes depending on which console is to be the master and drive the outputs...

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2023, 09:51:02 PM »

I'm puzzling over the 'Clock Master' issue right now regarding a new project.  I'm upgrading a community theater install with an X32 & S32, and we're now adding an M32C.  We intend for them to be used either/or, exclusively, and ideally without re-patching anything in the back of the Rack.  Thats tricky if ONLY the AES50A port on the S32 can receive a clock; I guess I missed that detail. 

I seem to recall hearing that the S32 could serve as the clock master - is that possible?

Failing that, I guess I can configure the M32C as the Clock Master, and configure different routing modes depending on which console is to be the master and drive the outputs...

I believe some of the smaller stageboxes can be a clock master, but IIRC the S32 doesn't have that capability. Also, I'm fairly certain (although the manual doesn't specify) that the mic preamps can only be controlled by the console connected to the AES50-A port, so even if the S32 could be the clock master you still wouldn't be able to operate it in the manner you're describing (since only one of the consoles would be able to adjust the headamp gain). I'm pretty sure the only way to have the S32 be controlled by either the X32 or the M32C is to repatch the S32 as needed.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2023, 09:51:02 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.