Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Console Connectivity Solutions

M32 / DL32 / M32R - FOH & MONs Routing

<< < (4/4)

Brian Jojade:

--- Quote from: Russell Ault on June 16, 2023, 06:09:43 PM ---Huh, I've always ASSumed that the DL32 will only clock to its AES50-A port (at which point the console with direct access to the DL32's outputs and headamp control must also be the clock master); is that not the case?

-Russ

--- End quote ---

On the DL32, you must connect port A to the clock master source.  However, it's possible that the mixer it's connected to isn't the actual clock source.  If you're daisy chaining mixers, the clock could be multiple steps upstream.  Clock is just what keeps all of the devices in sync for digital communication.  Everything else is separate.

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on June 17, 2023, 12:46:31 AM ---On the DL32, you must connect port A to the clock master source.  However, it's possible that the mixer it's connected to isn't the actual clock source.  If you're daisy chaining mixers, the clock could be multiple steps upstream.  Clock is just what keeps all of the devices in sync for digital communication.  Everything else is separate.

--- End quote ---

You're definitely right about daisy-chaining, but if you can't clock the DL32 off the S/DL32's AES50-B port when using it in split mode (i.e. with no daisy-chaining) then the choice of clock master would end up having a pretty significant impact on system routing, no?

-Russ

Peter Kowalczyk:

--- Quote from: Russell Ault on June 17, 2023, 01:47:26 PM ---You're definitely right about daisy-chaining, but if you can't clock the DL32 off the S/DL32's AES50-B port when using it in split mode (i.e. with no daisy-chaining) then the choice of clock master would end up having a pretty significant impact on system routing, no?

-Russ

--- End quote ---

I'm puzzling over the 'Clock Master' issue right now regarding a new project.  I'm upgrading a community theater install with an X32 & S32, and we're now adding an M32C.  We intend for them to be used either/or, exclusively, and ideally without re-patching anything in the back of the Rack.  Thats tricky if ONLY the AES50A port on the S32 can receive a clock; I guess I missed that detail. 

I seem to recall hearing that the S32 could serve as the clock master - is that possible?

Failing that, I guess I can configure the M32C as the Clock Master, and configure different routing modes depending on which console is to be the master and drive the outputs...

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Peter Kowalczyk on July 11, 2023, 05:08:23 PM ---I'm puzzling over the 'Clock Master' issue right now regarding a new project.  I'm upgrading a community theater install with an X32 & S32, and we're now adding an M32C.  We intend for them to be used either/or, exclusively, and ideally without re-patching anything in the back of the Rack.  Thats tricky if ONLY the AES50A port on the S32 can receive a clock; I guess I missed that detail. 

I seem to recall hearing that the S32 could serve as the clock master - is that possible?

Failing that, I guess I can configure the M32C as the Clock Master, and configure different routing modes depending on which console is to be the master and drive the outputs...

--- End quote ---

I believe some of the smaller stageboxes can be a clock master, but IIRC the S32 doesn't have that capability. Also, I'm fairly certain (although the manual doesn't specify) that the mic preamps can only be controlled by the console connected to the AES50-A port, so even if the S32 could be the clock master you still wouldn't be able to operate it in the manner you're describing (since only one of the consoles would be able to adjust the headamp gain). I'm pretty sure the only way to have the S32 be controlled by either the X32 or the M32C is to repatch the S32 as needed.

-Russ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version