Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Console Connectivity Solutions

M32 / DL32 / M32R - FOH & MONs Routing

<< < (3/4) > >>

Peter Kowalczyk:

--- Quote from: Russell Ault on May 30, 2023, 01:10:09 AM ---It's basically the same, but in reverse. FOH console AES50-A is plugged into DL32 AES50-A, monitor console AES50-A is plugged into DL32 AES50-B), then:

On the monitor console:

* Make sure that the "Out 1-8" and "Out 9-16" blocks are routed to the "AES50-A Out 1-8" and "AES50-A Out 9-16" blocks (IIRC this is the console default)
* Route your monitor sends to Outputs 1-12
On the FOH console:

* Route the "AES50-A In 33-40" block to the "AES50-A Out 1-8" block
* Route the "User Out 9-16" block to the "AES50-A Out 9-16" block
* Route "AES50-A In" 41-44 to "User Out" 9-12
* Route "Out" 13-16 to "User Out" 13-16
* Route your your L/R/Sub/FF sends to Outputs 13-16
It's more weight and expense, but there are times it's still worth it (and the X/M32 platform, which has one of the less-graceful gain-sharing systems out there, might be one of those times).

-Russ

--- End quote ---

Thanks Russ, That makes sense.  I'll give this a try on tomorrow's setup.  (Trying to do so in the offline editor and not finding the 'user' routing features there.  Hmmm)

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Peter Kowalczyk on May 31, 2023, 02:58:06 AM ---{...}  (Trying to do so in the offline editor and not finding the 'user' routing features there.  Hmmm)

--- End quote ---

Huh, they should be there (if nothing else it's how I double-checked myself before posting); are you using the latest version of the editor? ("User" routing options were only added in firmware/editor version 4.)

-Russ

Peter Kowalczyk:

--- Quote from: Russell Ault on May 31, 2023, 09:34:04 AM ---Huh, they should be there (if nothing else it's how I double-checked myself before posting); are you using the latest version of the editor? ("User" routing options were only added in firmware/editor version 4.)

-Russ

--- End quote ---

Turns out it was just software / firmware incompatibility.  After updating both, this worked perfectly. 

Now, to ponder how to get a bidirectional talkback between the two desks. I'm sure there's a way...

Brian Jojade:

--- Quote from: Peter Kowalczyk on May 09, 2023, 11:40:48 AM ---If the Monitor console is the clock master, then it can drive the DL32 outputs, but then I'm stuck on how to route FOH audio back to the system...

Any advice?  Muchas Gracias!

--- End quote ---

Which device is clock master has absolutely no impact on routing.  On the AES50 bus, one device and only one device is clock master and sends clock signals down the chain.  If you daisy chain devices, the clock master will send the clock signal out the other AES port.

I prefer to have the clock master in the MIDDLE of the AES50 chain, not way at the end at FOH.  If the FOH console gets disconnected, EVERYTHING goes down.  If your monitor console is clock master and you lose FOH, at least monitors would keep working.  Of course, if you lose the monitor console, everything goes down, but that's because you'd lose both clock AND the AES signal, so nothing would stop that.

--- Quote from: Peter Kowalczyk on June 07, 2023, 01:04:22 AM ---Now, to ponder how to get a bidirectional talkback between the two desks. I'm sure there's a way...

--- End quote ---

You can route the talkback inputs down AES, although that gives you no level control on the local board.  If you assign the talkback to one of the busses, then send that bus down AES now it'll follow the button and level control.  The easiest thing to then do is use up an aux channel on the destination console so you can route the talkback where it needs to be (which speakers, IEMs it should come out of).  Eg, aux1 would be talkback coming from the other console, which could be mixbus 16. If you want 2 different talkbacks, you could use mixbus 15 and aux 2 as well.

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on June 16, 2023, 05:23:42 PM ---Which device is clock master has absolutely no impact on routing. {...}

--- End quote ---

Huh, I've always ASSumed that the DL32 will only clock to its AES50-A port (at which point the console with direct access to the DL32's outputs and headamp control must also be the clock master); is that not the case?

-Russ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version