Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Console Connectivity Solutions

M32 / DL32 / M32R - FOH & MONs Routing

(1/4) > >>

Peter Kowalczyk:
Hello!  I'm sure this bridge has been crossed before, and I'm digging into the mire of youtube tutorials etc, and hoping someone with the expertise can offer a shortcut to a solution...

Setup:
M32 at FOH,
M32R at MONs,
DL32 stage box shared by both.

Objective:
Route FOH Audio System Sends (L/R/Sub/Fill) out of the AES/EBU Digital outputs of the DL32 into my system processor, AND,
Route Monitor Audio Sends out the DL32's analog XLR outputs 1:12.

I've typically set the FOH console as the clock master, which, AFAIK, means it has sole control of the outputs on the DL32.  Fine for FOH, but then we need to use the local outputs of the monitor desk to drive wedges, and in this case, being an 'R' variant, we're at half capacity.

If the Monitor console is the clock master, then it can drive the DL32 outputs, but then I'm stuck on how to route FOH audio back to the system...

Any advice?  Muchas Gracias!

Peter Kowalczyk:
In another thread in this section, @ russell ault described this configuration:

"The slightly more complicated version is "monitor X32 is clock, headamp control, and gets exclusive use of the S32's outputs; FOH X32 clocks to S32 and sends outputs through S32 to the monitor X32 (since on the S32 channels 1-16 on the input side of AES50-B are looped through as channels 33-48 on the output side of AES50-A); monitor X32 loops some of the channels from AES50 inputs 33-48 back out as outputs in the 1-16 so that they show up on the output XLRs of the S32".

...  That sounds like it'll work for me; just giving the monitor desk Pre-amp Control and FOH gets trims.  Thats fine with me.

The question then becomes:  How exactly do I route the FOH system sends thru the monitor desk and back to the DL32's outputs?

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Peter Kowalczyk on May 09, 2023, 12:04:12 PM ---In another thread in this section, @ russell ault described this configuration:

"The slightly more complicated version is "monitor X32 is clock, headamp control, and gets exclusive use of the S32's outputs; FOH X32 clocks to S32 and sends outputs through S32 to the monitor X32 (since on the S32 channels 1-16 on the input side of AES50-B are looped through as channels 33-48 on the output side of AES50-A); monitor X32 loops some of the channels from AES50 inputs 33-48 back out as outputs in the 1-16 so that they show up on the output XLRs of the S32".

...  That sounds like it'll work for me; just giving the monitor desk Pre-amp Control and FOH gets trims.  Thats fine with me.

The question then becomes:  How exactly do I route the FOH system sends thru the monitor desk and back to the DL32's outputs?

--- End quote ---

Okay, so, assuming you've started with the above (i.e. monitor console AES50-A is plugged into DL32 AES50-A, FOH console AES50-A is plugged into DL32 AES50-B), I'll add some specificity:

On the FOH console:

* Make sure that the "Out 9-16" block is routed to the "AES50-A 9-16" block (IIRC this is the console default)
* Route your your L/R/Sub/FF sends to Outputs 13-16
On the monitor console:

* Make sure that the "Out 1-8" block is routed to the "AES50-A 1-8" block (IIRC this is the console default)
* Route the  "User Out 9-16" block to the "AES50-A Out 9-16" block
* Route "Out" 9-12 to "User Out" 9-12
* Route "AES50-A In" 45-48 to "User Out" 13-16
* Route your monitor sends to Outputs 1-12
...and that should do it!

-Russ

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Russell Ault on May 09, 2023, 03:41:51 PM ---Okay, so, assuming you've started with the above (i.e. monitor console AES50-A is plugged into DL32 AES50-A, FOH console AES50-A is plugged into DL32 AES50-B), I'll add some specificity:

On the FOH console:

* Make sure that the "Out 9-16" block is routed to the "AES50-A 9-16" block (IIRC this is the console default)
* Route your your L/R/Sub/FF sends to Outputs 13-16On the monitor console:

* Make sure that the "Out 1-8" block is routed to the "AES50-A 1-8" block (IIRC this is the console default)
* Route the  "User Out 9-16" block to the "AES50-A Out 9-16" block
* Route "Out" 9-12 to "User Out" 9-12
* Route "AES50-A In" 45-48 to "User Out" 13-16
* Route your monitor sends to Outputs 1-12...and that should do it!

-Russ

--- End quote ---


You guys are getting soft, letting this get posted in the LAB without tossing beanbags at the OP.



Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on May 10, 2023, 12:17:19 AM ---
You guys are getting soft, letting this get posted in the LAB without tossing beanbags at the OP.

--- End quote ---

Peter K qualifies as an OG, he gets a pass. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version