Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Product Reviews

Diadem Microphone Shure SM35

<< < (2/3) > >>

Oscar Perez:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on May 10, 2023, 12:15:31 AM ---
You trying to hear yourself in the PA or in a monitor?

--- End quote ---

Hi Scott, thanks for your answer.
It's on the rehearsal room, so there's no monitors, only a small PA system facing me. I haven't tried it in a gig yet.
The reason why I think there's something wrong with the mic is because the Shure SM58s that the choir girls are using don't experience this problem, we can turn up the volume to 7-8 for the SM58s, hear them loud and clear and get no feedback, whereas for my SM35 I can only turn it up to 5-6 which places it on the verge of feedback and my voice sounds at a significant lower volume than the 58s.

Hope that clarifies.

Thanks

Oscar

Oscar Perez:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on May 09, 2023, 06:25:31 PM ---What you need to do is stop spending money on gear and invest in a quality sound person.

If you can't get it done with an SM35, then no other mic out there is going to make it better. You have a setup problem, not a microphone problem.

--- End quote ---

Hi Tim,
thanks for your answer.
I experience this in the rehearsal room, with a very simple mixer and PA system.
The reason why I think there's something wrong with the mic is because the Shure SM58s that the choir girls are using don't experience this problem, we can turn up the volume to 7-8 for the SM58s, hear them loud and clear and get no feedback, whereas for my SM35 I can only turn it up to 5-6 which places it on the verge of feedback and my voice sounds at a significant lower volume than the 58s.

Hope that clarifies.

Thanks

Oscar

Jeff Lelko:

--- Quote from: Oscar Perez on May 10, 2023, 03:11:59 AM ---The reason why I think there's something wrong with the mic is because the Shure SM58s that the choir girls are using don't experience this problem, we can turn up the volume to 7-8 for the SM58s, hear them loud and clear and get no feedback, whereas for my SM35 I can only turn it up to 5-6 which places it on the verge of feedback and my voice sounds at a significant lower volume than the 58s.

--- End quote ---

Hi Oscar,

I can all but assure you that nothing is wrong with your microphones.  To echo Tim, this is a setup issue.  There are many factors that come into play when evaluating Gain Before Feedback (GBF) - too many to list in a simple reply.  I've been down this road before myself and as Tim mentions, if you're struggling to get good results with what you have then buying yet another microphone won't fix your problem - even a very expensive microphone.  I take it you've already tried to EQ the problematic frequencies?

Oscar Perez:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on May 10, 2023, 07:33:54 AM ---Hi Oscar,

I can all but assure you that nothing is wrong with your microphones.  To echo Tim, this is a setup issue.  There are many factors that come into play when evaluating Gain Before Feedback (GBF) - too many to list in a simple reply.  I've been down this road before myself and as Tim mentions, if you're struggling to get good results with what you have then buying yet another microphone won't fix your problem - even a very expensive microphone.  I take it you've already tried to EQ the problematic frequencies?

--- End quote ---

OK Jeff,
Thanks for your comment.
OK, I will give it a go with trying to tune it more carefully or even get help there.

Thanks everybody.

Cheers

Oscar

Dave Garoutte:
Try a 58 and see if the problem persists. 
Look at the pattern of your mic and make sure the speakers are in the null.
Turn down the speakers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version