ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RF Coordination with SoundBase  (Read 890 times)

Jesse Stern

• www.jsaudio.xyz
RF Coordination with SoundBase
« on: June 04, 2023, 04:04:09 PM »

I recently started using SoundBase in place of IAS and am blown away by how much more powerful and user-friendly it is.  Another way to say it would be that I'm blown away by how outdated and clunky IAS always felt, and why there have been no attempts to modernize it until now.  The only downside I see is relying on an internet connection and the SB server to stay up. Is there something else I'm missing, like is the future of SB fully replacing IAS too good to be true?

Eric Fredericks

Re: RF Coordination with SoundBase
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 06:29:50 PM »

This is from the discord and talks a-bit about the lack of development in IAS (Jesse, I know you were in this conversation over there but thought I’d include it here for clarity):

IAS was written by Jason Eskew, a former PWS employee. He left the company about 12 years ago to work in a different field outside of pro audio. Since leaving, he was still solely responsible for updating IAS and developing new releases. I can’t speak for him, but it seems both that he lost interest and doesn’t have the time anymore for further development. IAS was essentially written while he had downtime on corporate shows. Not doing anymore shows = less free time to work on it.

IAS is great, but it’s users wanted it to be more than just a calculator.  WWB is cool too, but the workflow is somewhat cumbersome along with it being too Shure centric.

When Covid came around, Matt and I were frustrated with what was available and saw the opportunity to try and build our own product. We wanted something built on a modern platform like React, and was easy to add new features on the fly. We also wanted our software to be community driven, and built by the users using it.
Eric F.
Frequently Coordinating

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 08:29:43 PM »

This is from the discord and talks a-bit about the lack of development in IAS (Jesse, I know you were in this conversation over there but thought I’d include it here for clarity):

IAS was written by Jason Eskew, a former PWS employee. He left the company about 12 years ago to work in a different field outside of pro audio. Since leaving, he was still solely responsible for updating IAS and developing new releases. I can’t speak for him, but it seems both that he lost interest and doesn’t have the time anymore for further development. IAS was essentially written while he had downtime on corporate shows. Not doing anymore shows = less free time to work on it.

IAS is great, but it’s users wanted it to be more than just a calculator.  WWB is cool too, but the workflow is somewhat cumbersome along with it being too Shure centric.

When Covid came around, Matt and I were frustrated with what was available and saw the opportunity to try and build our own product. We wanted something built on a modern platform like React, and was easy to add new features on the fly. We also wanted our software to be community driven, and built by the users using it.

I haven’t seen the Discord, but I assume that was all a quote of o post Donnie Kuser made.

Mac

Eric Fredericks

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 08:43:30 PM »

I haven’t seen the Discord, but I assume that was all a quote of o post Donnie Kuser made.

Mac

Yup.
Eric F.
Frequently Coordinating

Jesse Stern

• www.jsaudio.xyz
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 10:26:24 PM »

Yes I remember reading this on Discord.  Even now knowing some of the history, it still seems like it took a long time for a new player to step up. 
Not to spread negativity but I would be interested in hearing from the "naysayers" who could give me any good reason why SB won't make IAS entirely obsolete, because I don't see one yet.  It's like choosing between an LS9 or a CL5, except the CL5 is free.  Yes SB needs internet to work. But if I'm doing a show so far in the middle of nowhere that I can't even get a few mbps up/down on a cellular hotspot then at least I can count on it not being too dense an RF environment! 

Brad Harris

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 10:25:37 AM »

Yes I remember reading this on Discord.  Even now knowing some of the history, it still seems like it took a long time for a new player to step up. 
Not to spread negativity but I would be interested in hearing from the "naysayers" who could give me any good reason why SB won't make IAS entirely obsolete, because I don't see one yet.  It's like choosing between an LS9 or a CL5, except the CL5 is free.  Yes SB needs internet to work. But if I'm doing a show so far in the middle of nowhere that I can't even get a few mbps up/down on a cellular hotspot then at least I can count on it not being too dense an RF environment! 

Yup the online only (at the moment) is my #1 reason not to use this tool while on site for any reason.

I do use it for advance planning, as they've done a fantastic job with the DTV and Scan databases. Even if I hotspot with unlimited data, when 20K+ people show up streaming their "experience", guess what doesn't work..... anything connected to a cellular or public wifi.... If it reaches to where we are in the venue.

If I'm in an area with no to little DTV or other outside sources (and no reliable cellular/internet), guess what still needs to work? The math.... which is still online.

If I was a desk jockey in an office, this wouldn't matter at all, and I do enjoy cloud services, but only if they have a way to offline and properly sync.

Brad

Jesse Stern

• www.jsaudio.xyz
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2023, 09:38:31 PM »

Yup the online only (at the moment) is my #1 reason not to use this tool while on site for any reason.

I do use it for advance planning, as they've done a fantastic job with the DTV and Scan databases. Even if I hotspot with unlimited data, when 20K+ people show up streaming their "experience", guess what doesn't work..... anything connected to a cellular or public wifi.... If it reaches to where we are in the venue.

If I'm in an area with no to little DTV or other outside sources (and no reliable cellular/internet), guess what still needs to work? The math.... which is still online.

If I was a desk jockey in an office, this wouldn't matter at all, and I do enjoy cloud services, but only if they have a way to offline and properly sync.

Brad

Don't know the ETA but they are actively developing the offline version now.  It will still have the cloud functionality when you are connected but be capable of doing all the coordination offline.

Brad Harris

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2023, 10:25:37 AM »

Don't know the ETA but they are actively developing the offline version now.  It will still have the cloud functionality when you are connected but be capable of doing all the coordination offline.

Looking forward to it!

Brad

Jesse Stern

• www.jsaudio.xyz
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 09:03:39 PM »

So I noticed what might be the only downside so far, but not a huge deal as long as you are aware of it going in:

When you do a "single frequency test," it will only show the 1st violation it comes across.  This could be a DTV, tunable band, or other violation that you may be willing to manually accept.  But you WON'T necessarily see if that freq has other violations that you would NOT accept, like channel spacing or Direct Hits.  So you need to be diligent when manually accepting to make sure you are avoiding anything detrimental. 

The developers say they are aware of this and working to update it on a future release.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 09:03:39 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.