Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Audio Measurement and Testing

Speaker level pad for measurement.

(1/2) > >>

Helge A Bentsen:
I wish to measure output of amplifiers with Smaart, done it in the past with a pair of Contryman type85 in the signal chain, but looking for a more elegant solution. Preferably speakon in and XLR/speakon out.
Is there a ready-made pad available for this?
Or could anybody point me in the direction of a schematic with resistor values so I can DIY my own?

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Helge A Bentsen on May 05, 2023, 04:06:32 AM ---I wish to measure output of amplifiers with Smaart, done it in the past with a pair of Contryman type85 in the signal chain, but looking for a more elegant solution. Preferably speakon in and XLR/speakon out.
Is there a ready-made pad available for this?
Or could anybody point me in the direction of a schematic with resistor values so I can DIY my own?

--- End quote ---

If you want to measure them at high power, into a typical speaker load impedance you will need a very high power resistor to provide the load.  Bink built one out of a couple of hot water heater coils in a bucket of water to cool them.

Mac

John Schalk:
My method is to use a DI and I connect it up with a speaker cable that has a Neutrik on one end and a 1/4" tip-sleeve on the other end.  I plug the 1/4" end into the input of the DI and take the XLR output of the DI into the measurement channel of my USB pre-amp.  I wasn't trying to do any kind of load testing though.  I was looking at the transfer function of the amp after applying some recommended DSP values.

Helge A Bentsen:

--- Quote from: Mac Kerr on May 05, 2023, 10:17:39 AM ---If you want to measure them at high power, into a typical speaker load impedance you will need a very high power resistor to provide the load.  Bink built one out of a couple of hot water heater coils in a bucket of water to cool them.

Mac

--- End quote ---

I forgot to specify that this isnít for load testing, itís for verifying DSP settings with a speaker connected :)

Steve-White:
I use these and make my own adapter cables and resistive 10:1 dividing networks as needed for higher power measurements.

ART DTI 2-channel Hum Eliminator

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DTI--art-dti-2-channel-hum-eliminator

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version