Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Console Connectivity Solutions

X32 As Monitoring Console on Existing FOH System

(1/3) > >>

Chris M. Tucker:
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right spot. It's my first post here.

My band recently had a technical train wreck that I'd like to avoid in the future. The venue had a contracted production company who subcontracted and didn't pass on any of our planning in an effective manner. Their engineer was receptive to our input on settings, but it was just too complex to piece together at the last minute.

They ran an S32 stage box down ethercon to an X32 FOH console. We wanted to insert our own X32 into the system as a monitoring console to output to our IEMs, but never figured out the routing and connectivity in time to not stop our headline slot form being delayed because of technical difficulties. We have our own engineer who we'd want to run our monitors, and we're happy to let the FOH guy do his own thing as he sees fit based on what he hears. We want to be minimally invasive into his system, obviously, while still getting the stuff we need done.

If the S32 AES50A connects to the FOH AES50-A and the FOH board is the master digital clock, does it make better sense to:

* Split directly off of the S32 AES50-B to our Monitoring console in at AES50-A, or
* Take AES50-B out of the FOH console with through routing into AES50-A on my monitoring console
Then, from there, can I use the AES50-B out of my monitoring console to feed my own S32 which is in the same rack as my IEM transmitters and pre-wired, or do I have to use the local outs on my X32 and patch that way?

I know I'll need to do some pretty fancy User-In/User-Out routing, but in the case of a monitoring console that's just fine by me. I just want to make sure that the hardware will actually communicate when networked like this, and that my assumptions about where the master clock typically resides are accurate (though that's easy enough to find out in real time).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Erik Jerde:
The best approach in this sort of situation is just an analog split.  Digital splits can be great but when interfacing with someone else’s gear there are just so many ways they can go wrong.  Typically bands running their own monitors will just have an x32 rack and a simple passive analog split.  Being able to just hand the house engineer a set of labeled tails is super easy and makes the whole system integration thing a piece of cake.

Riley Casey:
As Erik suggested the analog splitter is the right answer. They are easily rented from a good sized sound vendor if you don't need one on a regular basis. More importantly unless you have both a FOH and monitor engineer working with you who are both familiar with the types of patching and interfacing required to do a digital split of the signals required you're skating on thin ice. Even if your monitor engineer were skilled at the required set up and had made the patches for the FOH engineer du jour so that sound check went well you would still be one scene recall away from having it all fall apart after the opener was finished and you were ready to take the stage. Don't take that chance.

dave briar:

--- Quote from: Erik Jerde on May 04, 2023, 08:53:45 AM ---The best approach in this sort of situation is just an analog split.  Digital splits can be great but when interfacing with someone else’s gear there are just so many ways they can go wrong.  Typically bands running their own monitors will just have an x32 rack and a simple passive analog split.  Being able to just hand the house engineer a set of labeled tails is super easy and makes the whole system integration thing a piece of cake.

--- End quote ---
As a “house tech” I 100% concur. You’ll have your copy of the inputs to run your IEMs and I’ll have mine (hopefully plainly labeled?) to run FOH. Also note that while in theory a split with one set of outputs transformer isolated would be the most robust solution, the consensus seems to be (and my experience concurs) that the additional expense is not generally justified.

John L Nobile:
I had a problem a few months ago where the band wanted the monitor console to control the headamps. X32 on FOH and another for monitors with a DL32. We had the setup working that way but I couldn't get any signal to the main PA. Time was tight and their tech didn't know how to do it so I just ran the main feed through my analog snake rather than trying to figure it out. Glad I never got rid of that thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version