Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

Problem with my force canceling 12" or 15" sub design?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Herman Chigrin:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on April 24, 2023, 10:40:28 AM ---What you are searching for is a "Cardioid array". It has been done a few times in a single cabinet, but I don't think they've been super popular so far. Most people would rather buy multiples of a regular sub and when an array is needed you just put 2 facing forward and one facing rear (for example. There are other ways to do this).

https://gearsource.com/master-product/meyer-psw-6-high-power-cardioid-subwoofer/37563/

--- End quote ---

I was actually referring to a "simple" non-cardioid but force cancelling woofer arrangement. However, speaking of cardioid subs, are they really useful in a small venue, when the subs are in close proximity to the walls?

My idea was to try a force-cancelling design where the sub doesn't rattle everything it's sitting on just because mechanical vibration transfer is often a real issue with vinyl playback (DJs). But I see that the 24" front to back woofer offset will create a null right above the operating bandwith -- probably not a good start, yeah?

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Herman Chigrin on May 01, 2023, 11:04:58 PM ---I was actually referring to a "simple" non-cardioid but force cancelling woofer arrangement. However, speaking of cardioid subs, are they really useful in a small venue, when the subs are in close proximity to the walls?

My idea was to try a force-cancelling design where the sub doesn't rattle everything it's sitting on just because mechanical vibration transfer is often a real issue with vinyl playback (DJs). But I see that the 24" front to back woofer offset will create a null right above the operating bandwith -- probably not a good start, yeah?

--- End quote ---

For vinyl systems in clubs the best results I obtained was using a parametric eq capable of notch filtering.

Herman Chigrin:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on May 02, 2023, 12:13:16 AM ---For vinyl systems in clubs the best results I obtained was using a parametric eq capable of notch filtering.

--- End quote ---

Sure, I will have that capability with DSP but I'm looking at the possibility of an inherently less vibration causing sub design. Doesn't push pull type cancel out the even order distortion? Also reduce the mechanical vibration?

Tim Weaver:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on May 02, 2023, 12:13:16 AM ---For vinyl systems in clubs the best results I obtained was using a parametric eq capable of notch filtering.

--- End quote ---
Years ago when DJ's were still using Vinyl we would put the turntables on floating decks that were connected to the slab. It would be a sch40 pipe cemented to the slab that stuck up through the DJ booth and had a plate on top big enough for the turntable. That way the vibrations of the booth wouldn't effect the turntables. Less feedback, and no skipping.

Herman Chigrin:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on May 02, 2023, 11:07:11 AM ---Years ago when DJ's were still using Vinyl we would put the turntables on floating decks that were connected to the slab. It would be a sch40 pipe cemented to the slab that stuck up through the DJ booth and had a plate on top big enough for the turntable. That way the vibrations of the booth wouldn't effect the turntables. Less feedback, and no skipping.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I have done similar when there was a possibility such as an outdoor stage or a building with concrete slab.

HOWEVER, in Chicago, this is often not a possibility because there is either a basement below or just all wood joist contruction. So no slab that is available to connect with.

Still I will have to come up with something reasonable. Perhaps I start with selecting 15" or 12" sub drivers that are optimized for a compact box.

Any suggestions for such a driver?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version