Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Experience with the Wolfmix WM1?

(1/3) > >>

Travis Retrum:
We currently use a ADJ my DMX go with light rider and have to find another solution. It’s unreliable, crashes at least once every show. We do production for a live rock band and would run sound and lights at the same time. Sometimes we have separate guys to do each sometimes one guy has to do it solo. The Wolfmix looks like an easy device to use and I was wondering what everyone’s experience is with it.

Mark Norgren:
We have been using MyDMX Go for a couple years.  It's a great app, but is totally unreliable in a wireless setup.  Go to a wired connection and things will be fine.  No more drop outs and the app is totally stable.

Jonathan Hole:

--- Quote from: Travis Retrum on April 18, 2023, 06:55:27 PM ---We currently use a ADJ my DMX go with light rider and have to find another solution. It’s unreliable, crashes at least once every show. We do production for a live rock band and would run sound and lights at the same time. Sometimes we have separate guys to do each sometimes one guy has to do it solo. The Wolfmix looks like an easy device to use and I was wondering what everyone’s experience is with it.

--- End quote ---

I provide FOH, lighting, production for a popular regional 80's cover band and for this season I added Wolfmix along with our Lightkey setup as the notion of a tactile real-time show interface and no computer were interesting.  For many outdoor amphitheaters we play there isn't permanent ethercon to FOH (typically a small concrete pad in audience) and running same is difficult due to terracing, so I have perfected mixing via iPad and running lights via Lightkey - connecting to a ethernet router on stage w/ DMX to ethernet interface - same router that our console is connected to for FOH wireless and band IEM mixes. (A&H SQ) Since I've not gotten into external pads with Lightkey and given that I hate leaving my computer in the audience to run back and forth sometimes or preshow, I figured I'd give it a try and honestly was skeptical but found a used Wolfmix on eBay and figured what the heck.

At our first show of this year where we provided production I actually ran the first half of the show (3 hour total show) on Wolfmix and 2nd half on Lightkey and to my surprise I really enjoyed the tactile controls on Wolfmix and quickly got into advanced real time effects, chases, and more - it was quite fun in a way I had not expected.  At first it seemed the interface and many levels and pages would be complicated but once I got into the flow I was flipping pages easily and getting around quite well, and it was fun reacting quickly to the band.  So for now, I'm keeping it in the show for when we provide full production - many of our shows are larger and production is provided.  But we provide up to around 1500 outdoors and I had no problem so far this year running the Wolfmix on wireless DMX along w/ my iPad for FOH - past couple shows I had proper FOH full console position but still ran the Wolfmix on wireless DMX.  It also boots almost instantly which is cool and I bet I have 3 full pages of presets (scenes/looks) programmed at this point.  BTW:  It runs from a USB adapter so easy to use with an external USB battery supply and low power draw. 

For reference, I have 4 movers and 8 pars on the back line, two stands of 4 pars each for front wash and some uprights or longer throw optional if need more front lighting.  Also, when you dig into the menus you'll find options such as decoupling the level of the front par group from the others in your presents so I can set the front wash at a consistent level for the band and not blind them depending on the location, but it still follows blackouts and such. 

The Learn Stage Lighting guy on Youtube recently put up a video (or two) on Wolfmix as it seems to be talked about more as a DJ console but for a small size and the power it has, it's quite interesting for live band.  I'll probably keep it going this year and see if I miss some of the extra power of Lightkey - and/or if I ever get around to programming our Ableton click tracks to Lightkey that may push me back to it. (Wolfmix does not support midi at this time). I think for a run and gun DMX console it's excellent as well.

As you can tell I was very surprised at this little box, blew me away really for the $ and so figured I'd give you a long reply w/ my thoughts!

John Schalk:

--- Quote from: Jonathan Hole on April 19, 2023, 09:07:14 AM ---The Learn Stage Lighting guy on Youtube recently put up a video (or two) on Wolfmix as it seems to be talked about more as a DJ console but for a small size and the power it has, it's quite interesting for live band. 
--- End quote ---
I really like his videos.  I watched his series on DMXIS which was installed at a club where I was mixing.  I'd consider getting that software except it's not supported any longer.

--- Quote ---As you can tell I was very surprised at this little box, blew me away really for the $ and so figured I'd give you a long reply w/ my thoughts!

--- End quote ---
Is there anyway to backup the WMX1's settings once you have it programmed?  Nice summary of this little console, by the way.  Your lighting setup is pretty close to what I suspect a lot of us "lounge lizards" are running :)

Travis Retrum:

--- Quote from: Jonathan Hole on April 19, 2023, 09:07:14 AM ---I provide FOH, lighting, production for a popular regional 80's cover band and for this season I added Wolfmix along with our Lightkey setup as the notion of a tactile real-time show interface and no computer were interesting.  For many outdoor amphitheaters we play there isn't permanent ethercon to FOH (typically a small concrete pad in audience) and running same is difficult due to terracing, so I have perfected mixing via iPad and running lights via Lightkey - connecting to a ethernet router on stage w/ DMX to ethernet interface - same router that our console is connected to for FOH wireless and band IEM mixes. (A&H SQ) Since I've not gotten into external pads with Lightkey and given that I hate leaving my computer in the audience to run back and forth sometimes or preshow, I figured I'd give it a try and honestly was skeptical but found a used Wolfmix on eBay and figured what the heck.

At our first show of this year where we provided production I actually ran the first half of the show (3 hour total show) on Wolfmix and 2nd half on Lightkey and to my surprise I really enjoyed the tactile controls on Wolfmix and quickly got into advanced real time effects, chases, and more - it was quite fun in a way I had not expected.  At first it seemed the interface and many levels and pages would be complicated but once I got into the flow I was flipping pages easily and getting around quite well, and it was fun reacting quickly to the band.  So for now, I'm keeping it in the show for when we provide full production - many of our shows are larger and production is provided.  But we provide up to around 1500 outdoors and I had no problem so far this year running the Wolfmix on wireless DMX along w/ my iPad for FOH - past couple shows I had proper FOH full console position but still ran the Wolfmix on wireless DMX.  It also boots almost instantly which is cool and I bet I have 3 full pages of presets (scenes/looks) programmed at this point.  BTW:  It runs from a USB adapter so easy to use with an external USB battery supply and low power draw. 

For reference, I have 4 movers and 8 pars on the back line, two stands of 4 pars each for front wash and some uprights or longer throw optional if need more front lighting.  Also, when you dig into the menus you'll find options such as decoupling the level of the front par group from the others in your presents so I can set the front wash at a consistent level for the band and not blind them depending on the location, but it still follows blackouts and such. 

The Learn Stage Lighting guy on Youtube recently put up a video (or two) on Wolfmix as it seems to be talked about more as a DJ console but for a small size and the power it has, it's quite interesting for live band.  I'll probably keep it going this year and see if I miss some of the extra power of Lightkey - and/or if I ever get around to programming our Ableton click tracks to Lightkey that may push me back to it. (Wolfmix does not support midi at this time). I think for a run and gun DMX console it's excellent as well.

As you can tell I was very surprised at this little box, blew me away really for the $ and so figured I'd give you a long reply w/ my thoughts!

--- End quote ---

Awesome info and great to hear. Im gonna check out the videos on learn stage lighting

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version