Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

What does a Caliphone PA150 sound like?

(1/3) > >>

Tim Weaver:
Theres one at the Goodwill next to my house. Even has the wireless mic and the yoke for a speaker stand. Its mint and 30 bucks.

I’ve never heard one before but I kinda want it for an iPod boom box. Worth it?

Mike Caldwell:
I just looked it up and would say go for it. Maybe I need to stop in the local Goodwill store sometime!

Stephen Beatty:
Wow, that name brings back some memories. We had a lot of their educational level stuff. Cassettes and headphones in the language labs and for loan.
They were well build and stood up to the end user.

I'd say go for it. Retro for the win.

Brian Jojade:
It may be a solid product, and gives you a microphone for small rooms.  Sound quality isn't going to be anything to write home about.  For an iPod boom box, you might be sadly disappointed.  There are so many small speakers on the market today that would run circles around this for about the same money.

Tim Weaver:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on April 11, 2023, 12:24:36 PM ---It may be a solid product, and gives you a microphone for small rooms.  Sound quality isn't going to be anything to write home about.  For an iPod boom box, you might be sadly disappointed.  There are so many small speakers on the market today that would run circles around this for about the same money.

--- End quote ---

Let me get this straight. I would only buy it for the quirky vintage factor. Not to try and use it for any type of gig. It would play music, and maybe be a convenient Q-box type tester for my bench mostly. It has XLR, 1/4" and RCA inputs so it would make a pretty decent line level squawk box.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version