Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: GLD 80  (Read 1353 times)

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
GLD 80
« on: April 01, 2023, 02:47:02 AM »

Yep, a new thread on an "old" desk....

I just noticed a few of these in excellent condition selling for $2500 or so and was thinking about picking one up. Then I remembered you need the Dante or M-Waves card if you want to record multitrack audio on this desk (pretty common request these days). Either one of those cards will still set you back close to $2k, used. Anyone know an economical way to get multitrack audio from the GLD? At $2500 a GLD is interesting....at $4500, not so much.

Man there is some serious margin in those interface cards!

Rob Bernstein

Re: GLD 80
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 11:33:42 AM »

Yep, a new thread on an "old" desk....

I just noticed a few of these in excellent condition selling for $2500 or so and was thinking about picking one up. Then I remembered you need the Dante or M-Waves card if you want to record multitrack audio on this desk (pretty common request these days). Either one of those cards will still set you back close to $2k, used. Anyone know an economical way to get multitrack audio from the GLD? At $2500 a GLD is interesting....at $4500, not so much.

Man there is some serious margin in those interface cards!
Wow, I'm tempted to yank the Dante card from my GLD80 and double my investment (paid $935 for it).
I am not aware of any other way to do a multitrack recording from the console. The USB ports on the front will only record a stereo mix to a thumb drive (or an SSD drive, which I have done).
Although I don't use a console with actual faders very much anymore (my gigs are mostly weddings with no space to put a console), this is still a really nice board to work on.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 03:42:11 PM »

Wow, I'm tempted to yank the Dante card from my GLD80 and double my investment (paid $935 for it).
I am not aware of any other way to do a multitrack recording from the console. The USB ports on the front will only record a stereo mix to a thumb drive (or an SSD drive, which I have done).
Although I don't use a console with actual faders very much anymore (my gigs are mostly weddings with no space to put a console), this is still a really nice board to work on.

If you don't need the card it might be a smart move....go look on Reverb, used Dante cards are almost as much as the new ones. Not sure why the A&H Dante cards are so much more expensive than cards for other consoles. I also assume each mfg has their own proprietary card interface, though they look quite similar in photos.

I know the GLD 80 will multitrack record with some other cards as well, like the Waves card. But unfortunately those are just as expensive. I don't care what the protocol is (Dante, waves, ?) as long as it allows me to connect a laptop and multitrack record at a reasonable cost. I fail to see what on these cards would demand such a high premium, esp when similar cards for other consoles are much more affordable.

Pity because as you say, these are really nice boards, and now they are quite affordable......unless you need the multitrack option.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 05:53:24 PM »

If you don't need the card it might be a smart move....go look on Reverb, used Dante cards are almost as much as the new ones. Not sure why the A&H Dante cards are so much more expensive than cards for other consoles. I also assume each mfg has their own proprietary card interface, though they look quite similar in photos.

Traditionally they have been more expensive as they have a higher I/O channel count than other cards.

For example the older Yamaha cards are only 16 channels, the Behringer Dante card is only 32 channels; while the A&H GLD is 64 channels.

Having a 64 channel card opens up some cool options for the GLD, some things I did with that are:

1) You could record things that are not taking up channels on the console.
2) You could send preamps which are not a console channel submixed elsewhere and set back to one channel.
3) You could do a lot of bus processing or external FX.

Certainly none of those are needed, but for running an event which is close to capacity for the console having an I/O card helped to get a little better mileage out of the system.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 10:54:36 AM »

If you do pick up a used GLD I would change the BIOS battery first thing.
When you open it up you'll see some very off the shelf looking computer parts, power supply and mother board.
They will not boot up with a low or dead BIOS battery.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2023, 03:06:41 PM »

When you open it up you'll see some very off the shelf looking computer parts, power supply and mother board.

Thanks. Yes, I was just reading about that. Apparently in some cases a low battery can lead to BIOS corruption and even failure of the CPU board. Fortunately the CPU board is a standard industrial unit. Found a website where someone gave links for ordering the part at 1/10th the cost A&H wanted.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2023, 04:25:13 PM »

BTW, can dSnake or Slink be run through ethernet switches and combined with other ethernet traffic?

With my current setup I have a single CAT6 Ethercon running from stage to FOH that carries mixing control (mixing happens in the stage box), DMX, Midi, ATEM control, and just about anything else I might need. I realize with the GLD and SQ (and I assume the Avantis) the stage boxes send audio to/from the console and mixing happens in the console. I believe the DLive mixes in the stage box, but that's out of my price range.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 06:38:58 PM »

BTW, can dSnake or Slink be run through ethernet switches and combined with other ethernet traffic?

Not officially, but if you are a Network Ninja, there are some workarounds that might make it possible.  However it's probably still simpler to run another cable.  Here's a short thread on the A&H SQ message board: https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/cable-setup-ar2412-sq5

GTD

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 06:57:38 PM »

Thanks. Yes, I was just reading about that. Apparently in some cases a low battery can lead to BIOS corruption and even failure of the CPU board. Fortunately the CPU board is a standard industrial unit. Found a website where someone gave links for ordering the part at 1/10th the cost A&H wanted.

The battery is just a standard 2032 coin battery about $5.
Also if by chance the used board has an admin password set that no one knows what it is anymore the GLD can be hard reset to clear it but you need to open it up and short a couple jumpers on the mother board and then apply power to do a full hard clean reset.

Here's a link that goes into some detail.
https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/gld80-white-screen-no-lights

Matthias McCready

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2023, 12:15:29 PM »

^ This. My console wouldn't boot, thankfully it was prep-day before a gig, and I had a friend nearby who had another GLD I could cross rent.

Also A&H recommended swapping a jumper inside, when the jumper is moved it can be booted even if the BIOS battery is low or dead.

Never had any issues after that.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2023, 12:15:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.