Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

GLD 80

(1/7) > >>

Mark Scrivener:
Yep, a new thread on an "old" desk....

I just noticed a few of these in excellent condition selling for $2500 or so and was thinking about picking one up. Then I remembered you need the Dante or M-Waves card if you want to record multitrack audio on this desk (pretty common request these days). Either one of those cards will still set you back close to $2k, used. Anyone know an economical way to get multitrack audio from the GLD? At $2500 a GLD is interesting....at $4500, not so much.

Man there is some serious margin in those interface cards!

Rob Bernstein:

--- Quote from: Mark Scrivener on April 01, 2023, 02:47:02 AM ---Yep, a new thread on an "old" desk....

I just noticed a few of these in excellent condition selling for $2500 or so and was thinking about picking one up. Then I remembered you need the Dante or M-Waves card if you want to record multitrack audio on this desk (pretty common request these days). Either one of those cards will still set you back close to $2k, used. Anyone know an economical way to get multitrack audio from the GLD? At $2500 a GLD is interesting....at $4500, not so much.

Man there is some serious margin in those interface cards!

--- End quote ---
Wow, I'm tempted to yank the Dante card from my GLD80 and double my investment (paid $935 for it).
I am not aware of any other way to do a multitrack recording from the console. The USB ports on the front will only record a stereo mix to a thumb drive (or an SSD drive, which I have done).
Although I don't use a console with actual faders very much anymore (my gigs are mostly weddings with no space to put a console), this is still a really nice board to work on.

Mark Scrivener:

--- Quote from: Rob Bernstein on April 01, 2023, 11:33:42 AM ---Wow, I'm tempted to yank the Dante card from my GLD80 and double my investment (paid $935 for it).
I am not aware of any other way to do a multitrack recording from the console. The USB ports on the front will only record a stereo mix to a thumb drive (or an SSD drive, which I have done).
Although I don't use a console with actual faders very much anymore (my gigs are mostly weddings with no space to put a console), this is still a really nice board to work on.

--- End quote ---

If you don't need the card it might be a smart move....go look on Reverb, used Dante cards are almost as much as the new ones. Not sure why the A&H Dante cards are so much more expensive than cards for other consoles. I also assume each mfg has their own proprietary card interface, though they look quite similar in photos.

I know the GLD 80 will multitrack record with some other cards as well, like the Waves card. But unfortunately those are just as expensive. I don't care what the protocol is (Dante, waves, ?) as long as it allows me to connect a laptop and multitrack record at a reasonable cost. I fail to see what on these cards would demand such a high premium, esp when similar cards for other consoles are much more affordable.

Pity because as you say, these are really nice boards, and now they are quite affordable......unless you need the multitrack option.

Matthias McCready:

--- Quote from: Mark Scrivener on April 01, 2023, 03:42:11 PM ---If you don't need the card it might be a smart move....go look on Reverb, used Dante cards are almost as much as the new ones. Not sure why the A&H Dante cards are so much more expensive than cards for other consoles. I also assume each mfg has their own proprietary card interface, though they look quite similar in photos.

--- End quote ---

Traditionally they have been more expensive as they have a higher I/O channel count than other cards.

For example the older Yamaha cards are only 16 channels, the Behringer Dante card is only 32 channels; while the A&H GLD is 64 channels.

Having a 64 channel card opens up some cool options for the GLD, some things I did with that are:

1) You could record things that are not taking up channels on the console.
2) You could send preamps which are not a console channel submixed elsewhere and set back to one channel.
3) You could do a lot of bus processing or external FX.

Certainly none of those are needed, but for running an event which is close to capacity for the console having an I/O card helped to get a little better mileage out of the system.

Mike Caldwell:
If you do pick up a used GLD I would change the BIOS battery first thing.
When you open it up you'll see some very off the shelf looking computer parts, power supply and mother board.
They will not boot up with a low or dead BIOS battery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version