ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What DSP is going to be the "one" for the next decade or so?  (Read 2167 times)

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Re: What DSP is going to be the "one" for the next decade or so?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 07:28:19 PM »

QSys looks like it will continue as top dog for a while. 

AHM is great for what it is, but it can only do a fraction of what QSys can do.  AHM + FIR DSP amps + Crestron = QSys, roughly speaking. 

For many years now, every church AV system U worked with had a QSys Core.  Even if it barely processed any audio, it was the control system.
And the control system aspect got a big boost when Crestron was suffering from post-pandemic supply chain issues.  We used a few of the small q-sys cores instead of crestron as control mgmt.  Now with their video infrastructure and quite a bit of 3rd party product support along with Dante and AES67 they are miles ahead of most audio-only DSP families.  But the audio is still really good with full capabilities and not relegated to the backseat like many other control system vendor products.
I think for longevity you are best going with Q-sys now.
From a physical durability standpoint they seem quite bulletproof too -we've had no major core fails with hundreds deployed.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

[email protected]

• Finland, Uusimaa
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2023, 01:22:15 AM »

Yamaha MTX is kinda fixed architecture, the only plus is that it speaks Dante. I have one MTX5-D at a church and its way overkill for simple matrix routing when we could have gotten a MTX3.

I know, and that's why I said that AHM is more comparable to those than Q-Sys / MRX / DME
95% of touring is work, and if you're lucky that 5% of the time is working with gear that are in good shape and according to rider...

Robert Healey

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2023, 12:10:30 PM »

Biamp Tesira is the other option that gets close to Q-Sys in audio processing capabilities. It lacks the control features, however, and the video options pretty basic.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2023, 05:56:26 PM »

Hey guys, what's the take on where Q-Sys is headed hardware wise?

I'm kinda bummed to see the Cores that take I/O cards discontinued.
Are data-port amps headed towards being obsolete?
Or do folks think some kind on new I/O frame is on the horizon?

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2023, 09:54:49 AM »

I’m hoping that a new IO frame is on the horizon but there’s no official indication to that.  The recent (QDS 9.7.0) option to use core 8 flex as an I/O device is a positive though it would be nice if they did the same with the 100f as well.

Data port is obsolete IMO.  It’s been replaced by Q-Sys native amps.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2023, 10:29:45 AM »

Data port amps have been obsolete for years.   You could still buy the PL380, but, now with all data port qsys ports discontinued, the nail is in the coffin.  Did you maybe not mean Dataport but Q-lan amplifiers?

I am very bummed about the recent turn in I/O boxes as well.   I commonly do venues with lots of I/O and the only native solution is lots of little non-redundant network boxes.  I have one now in design with 32 inputs and 32 outputs.   Having 16 of the QIO boxes is not in any way ideal.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2023, 02:33:24 PM »

Thx guys,

yeah, i knew data-port amps are obsolete in terms of new installs, but i kinda figured there's enough of them still running that they weren't going to go away for a while.  Looks like I'm already past being wrong.....

I do still like to PL380's for subs. And have several 8ch & 4ch CX's, that I use for line array experiments and such.
I don't have to use them as data-port amps of course, but I've just got used to doing so.

I've ended up with a couple of used Cores, a 500 and 510, partly to be able to be rid of noisy I/O frames, and keep data-ports running.

Also have a pair of CXD-Q amps, and will probably grab a couple more if can pick them up opportunely on ebay.
Alot of q-sys stuff for just a DIY experimenter, but I've got a waay less $ into it than folks might believe...

Erik, could you use a 110f as nothing but an I/O box, with Core to core streaming?  I used one like that for a while.

David, yikes!  All those QIO boxes does not look fun.

Robert Healey

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2023, 02:41:00 PM »

Erik, could you use a 110f as nothing but an I/O box, with Core to core streaming?  I used one like that for a while.

I believe the issue is that you then have two design files to support instead of just one.

Erik - do you know if this is still an issue with the 110fV2 - https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,170357.0.html

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2023, 04:25:42 PM »

I believe the issue is that you then have two design files to support instead of just one.

Ah yes, of course.

[email protected]

• Finland, Uusimaa
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2023, 03:00:42 AM »

Biamp Tesira is the other option that gets close to Q-Sys in audio processing capabilities. It lacks the control features, however, and the video options pretty basic.

Tesira also has very limited capabilities regarding i.e AEC, unless you buy extra boxes to handle it.

I've done few installations with Tesira when MRX7D was not available and Q-sys went over budget. It was a pain to go over the different limitations.
95% of touring is work, and if you're lucky that 5% of the time is working with gear that are in good shape and according to rider...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2023, 03:00:42 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.