ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL Vertec VT4888DPDA BSS Card failure.  (Read 784 times)

Danny J. Avila

• This Land is doomed...
JBL Vertec VT4888DPDA BSS Card failure.
« on: March 21, 2023, 02:32:31 PM »

Hi, community.

I'm a very experienced Tech Service Agent for most of the professional audio gear brands available in our market since the 80's. Recently I repaired a set of twelve Crown/JBL DP3 power packs driving VT4888DP cabinets. The failure was common for all of them, being the internal LVPS power supply damaged to the very Step-down power converter IC (VIPer100A). This LVPS provides power (+/-15Vdc and +5Vdc) to the audio/control Input module, BSS DP-DA cards in this case. One of these cards won't show up on HiQnet Audio Architect or Performance Manager, but it's identified on NetSetter by its MAC address and self assigned IP as a "Blank DPDA". If I send the "Locate" command, the card's Led all flash as intended. If I push its onboard Preset button, the Led indicator lite as intended. At this point I'm unable to install the corresponding firmware, cause the card won't show up as available on the Update Tab.

Has anyone of you had this issue and solved it by means of the HiQnet software?

I'm also posting this on Harman's Support website, but trying my luck in this vast experience and knowledge space too.

Thanks in advance.
Never take freedom for granted.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: JBL Vertec VT4888DPDA BSS Card failure.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 05:16:05 PM »

Hi, community.

I'm a very experienced Tech Service Agent for most of the professional audio gear brands available in our market since the 80's. Recently I repaired a set of twelve Crown/JBL DP3 power packs driving VT4888DP cabinets. The failure was common for all of them, being the internal LVPS power supply damaged to the very Step-down power converter IC (VIPer100A). This LVPS provides power (+/-15Vdc and +5Vdc) to the audio/control Input module, BSS DP-DA cards in this case. One of these cards won't show up on HiQnet Audio Architect or Performance Manager, but it's identified on NetSetter by its MAC address and self assigned IP as a "Blank DPDA". If I send the "Locate" command, the card's Led all flash as intended. If I push its onboard Preset button, the Led indicator lite as intended. At this point I'm unable to install the corresponding firmware, cause the card won't show up as available on the Update Tab.

Has anyone of you had this issue and solved it by means of the HiQnet software?

I'm also posting this on Harman's Support website, but trying my luck in this vast experience and knowledge space too.

Thanks in advance.

This is a very common mode of failure for the DP3 modules.  It is a known issue.

It sounds like it may simply need to be factory reprogrammed. 
Simple enough to check.  The cards are the same for both VT4888DP-DA and VT4889A DP-DA, just flashed differently.

Someone at Harman should be able to either give you the instructions for this or have you send it in.

I have had to re-flash these from one to the other due to availability. 
Unfortunately I cannot share how that is done as that is up to Harman.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Danny J. Avila

• This Land is doomed...
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 03:09:27 PM »

This is a very common mode of failure for the DP3 modules.  It is a known issue...

Every single piece of gear having SMD aluminum caps inside, has or will have this known issue. Tech Support replied me next day I sent the inquiry, but they do re-flash these devices remotely and though secured server connections that is said to be done only to Authorized service centers. I'm a gazillion miles away from my nearest one, to which I used to work for, BTW.

Time to put in the old V3 DP-IP Input card I replaced with those DP-DA some years ago, to keep this box doing the job.

Thank you very much for your add in.
Never take freedom for granted.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 12:27:02 PM »

Every single piece of gear having SMD aluminum caps inside, has or will have this known issue.

Is this related to the "cap plague" years back?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 12:27:02 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.