Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Roller skating rink opinions

(1/1)

Dave Duff:
Hi Guys, The roller rink I do some work for is buying another rink and will need a completely new sound system. Most of there other rinks have a center 360 degree cluster of 6 powered speakers plus subs. This arrangement works great for intelligibility but ends up annoying the skaters left ear and seems to be too loud in all the areas off the skating floor.

So far they are over budget on the renovation so I can't spend a ton of money on sound (and lighting) but it still has to sound good and be bullet proof because I live 3.5-5 hours away depending on traffic.

I have 2 installation options that I am pondering and wanted some opinions. Both options will use the same DSP (DBX PA2 or Venue 360 if I can find a good deal on 1) and sub woofer setup. There are 2 custom built large double 18" 3 way speaker (missing all drivers) built into the back wall. They are massive, internal dimensions of 46x46x20. I will rework them to accept 2 or more 18's or some other combination of drivers that offer the most bang for the buck. subs will also be powered by an XTI4002 because we will run into noise ordinance issues before that amp runs out of power. The rink floor is basically a rounded off rectangle approx 190' X 80'

Option 1

If I go with the same 6 360 degree center mounted cluster I would use 6 JBL SRX815 or QSC E115 powered by 2 Crown XTI4002s. I will never again use powered speakers in a permanent mount flown application. 1 amp could run all 6 speakers but I want to run 2 amps incase 1 fails. This set up should sound good, get loud enough for noise complaints from the neighbors 100 feet behind the building and run 20 years worry free. With some thrifty shopping I should be able to purchase 6 speakers and 2 amps for around $8k.

Option 2

I go with 12 lesser speakers, EV ELX112 or 115 can be gotten for under $300 and $400 respectively. Run 6 per side of the rink spaced appox 28' apart. I won't need to turn them up super loud to get a nice volume on the floor. I would power them with 3 XLS2002. Then I would use approx 6-8 smaller 8" 2-ways to provide sound to the concession and other areas powered by an xls1500 or possibly 70 volt solution. Again with some bargain hunting I can put this together for around the same $8k.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

duane massey:
Might have better luck posting this in the "Installed systems". Having done several rinks over the years, If the ceiling is high enough I'd stick with the center cluster, bur either way will work, although there is no perfect solution.
I'll state the obvious, make certain the speakers are flyable, as I have seen some truly dangerous "riggings" in my experiences.

Dave Duff:

--- Quote from: duane massey on March 21, 2023, 02:54:12 PM ---Might have better luck posting this in the "Installed systems". Having done several rinks over the years, If the ceiling is high enough I'd stick with the center cluster, bur either way will work, although there is no perfect solution.
I'll state the obvious, make certain the speakers are flyable, as I have seen some truly dangerous "riggings" in my experiences.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I appreciate the info. For time constraints and simplicity I think I will just go with the center cluster.

Craig Hauber:

--- Quote from: Dave Duff on March 21, 2023, 09:38:43 PM ---Thanks, I appreciate the info. For time constraints and simplicity I think I will just go with the center cluster.

--- End quote ---
I've found that not pointing the cabinets downward as much helps with the "1-sided" left ear sound issue.  If you bounce them off the side and end walls of the room it evens out the SPL a bit. Helps that these places are usually quite dead -carpeted walls and t-grid ceilings. Don't know how that would work with gymnasium acoustics
I've also dismantled some larger clusters and flown the boxes pointing more downward in a distributed oval facing against the direction of rotation. So skaters are always facing a speaker as they go around -like driving under overhead signs on the freeway.
This of course is counter-intuitive to what we know about proper aiming of PA's, but you aren't exactly prioritizing vocal intelligibility in these kind of places.  Think of it more as a large BGM system with a bit more power.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version