ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum Channel Layout  (Read 1561 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Drum Channel Layout
« on: March 20, 2023, 05:53:19 PM »

What do you think of these drum channel layouts?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JYzyhGq3wntzM3x48F9DnHDYWCWmNEzznP0U5J3pCyo/edit?usp=sharing

My plan is to have Elite Core build me a custom drum snake that makes deploying drum mics silly fast.

For Context:
-Triggers are for myself (gates mainly)
-Tracks, loops, click, drum machine, etc. Are all on other channels.

For reference, various drum setups.
https://drumhelper.com/learning-drums/popular-drum-setup-ideas-and-configurations-with-diagrams/

For my purposes.
How often I see a typical setup on one of my gigs.
65% - 4-Piece Drum Setup
30% - 5-Piece Drum Setup
3%   - 6-Piece Drum Setup
1%   - 3-Piece Drum Setup
1%   - 7-Piece Drum Setup
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 02:34:19 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
Re: Drum Channel Layout
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 06:37:16 PM »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JYzyhGq3wntzM3x48F9DnHDYWCWmNEzznP0U5J3pCyo/edit?usp=sharing

My plan is to have Elite Core build me a custom drum snake that makes deploying drum mics silly fast.

The only one that is close to a "standard" is Option 1 and even then... I rarely see triggers being used and when they are it's not really a festival patch scenario. Kick in/out, Snare top/bottom, Hat, 4 toms, 2 overheads and a spare (Ride, S2...) is a pretty standard medium sized festival 12 channel patch. Leave 13-16 available for additional inputs if necessary: Tracks, sampler... that's what I'm seeing.

I tend to prefer several smaller looms for drum kit because the more channels there are the more it seems to get tangled up as the day goes on or just not work for some kits. I often find a dozen 10' mic cables and a 12 channel labelled snake box is faster than a loom.

(edit- I meant 2 overheads)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 11:11:41 PM by Matthew Knischewsky »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 08:18:34 PM »

When you say "custom snake" what does that do that means you have to pre plan your inputs?

I love a good drum snake, but I wouldn't do anything other than channel numbers on it. You can label it with tape any way you want to if its for a tour or whatever.

I tend to use whatever 16x4 snake is around. Right now we have a 5 piece kit, double miced kick and snare, and overheads. Add to that a click channel and a "toys pad" (Alesis drum pad thing) in stereo and I have a stereo input for an ipad/phone in case they want to play tracks. That's 15 inputs for me.

Returns are always usable for hardwired ears.

K in
K out
Snr Top
Snr Bot
Hat
Rack
Rack
Floor
OHL
OHR
Click
Alesis L
Alesis R
iPod Track Click
iPod Tracks
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Thomas Le

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 08:49:00 PM »

Doesn't whirlwind have a drum snake? Unless it's expensive...

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 09:06:29 PM »

Doesn't whirlwind have a drum snake? Unless it's expensive...

The regular one is a pretty good deal. The multipinned drum snake is kinda pricey, but it is nice.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 10:10:10 PM »

The only one that is close to a "standard" is Option 1 and even then... I rarely see triggers being used and when they are it's not really a festival patch scenario. Kick in/out, Snare top/bottom, Hat, 4 toms, 4 overheads and a spare (Ride, S2...) is a pretty standard medium sized festival 12 channel patch. Leave 13-16 available for additional inputs if necessary: Tracks, sampler... that's what I'm seeing.

Agreed.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Rick Earl

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 09:24:27 AM »

Triggers and other electronics usually stay grouped together in a rack and can be picked up with a standard Fan to Fan snake.  The one drummer I work with with a lot of electronics has it all in one rack, including his hardwired ears.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 02:49:13 PM »

For Context:
-Triggers are for myself (gates mainly)
-Tracks, loops, click, drum machine, etc. Are all on other channels.

For reference, various drum setups.
https://drumhelper.com/learning-drums/popular-drum-setup-ideas-and-configurations-with-diagrams/

For my purposes.
How often I see a typical setup on one of my gigs.
65% - 4-Piece Drum Setup [option 00]
30% - 5-Piece Drum Setup [option 00]
3%   - 6-Piece Drum Setup [option 1]
1%   - 3-Piece Drum Setup [option 00]
1%   - 7-Piece Drum Setup [option 1]

I tend to prefer several smaller looms for drum kit because the more channels there are the more it seems to get tangled up as the day goes on or just not work for some kits. I often find a dozen 10' mic cables and a 12 channel labelled snake box is faster than a loom.

Hmm, good point. This is why I posed the question. Needed some more opinions on the matter.

So maybe (from drum perspective):
Loom1 (4ch) K-in, K-out, SnTop, SnBot
Loom2 (4ch) T1, T1-Trig, T2, T2-Trig

Or (from drum perspective):
Loom1 (4ch) K-in, K-out, T1, T1-Trig
Loom2 (3ch) SnTop, SnBot, SnTrig
Loom3 (4ch) T2, T2-Trig, T3, T3-Trig

When you say "custom snake" what does that do that means you have to pre plan your inputs?

Yes, I have never changed my base input patch in 5 years.
I rarely need more than option 00 [4 piece kit]

I love a good drum snake, but I wouldn't do anything other than channel numbers on it. You can label it with tape any way you want to if its for a tour or whatever.

Why label something manually that is always the same?
You can always refer to the number, but I'd rather it be fast and easy to do.

I want to get away from running 12x 25' XLR's to my DX168 every time I setup a silly drum-set that has the exact same setup every time for any band ever (4-piece).

I tend to use whatever 16x4 snake is around. Right now we have a 5 piece kit, double miced kick and snare, and overheads. Add to that a click channel and a "toys pad" (Alesis drum pad thing) in stereo and I have a stereo input for an ipad/phone in case they want to play tracks. That's 15 inputs for me.

Returns are always usable for hardwired ears.

I use personal mixers (ME-1, PoE).
Haven't used a return in 4 years.

K in
K out
Snr Top
Snr Bot
Hat
Rack
Rack
Floor
OHL
OHR

Click
Alesis L
Alesis R
iPod Track Click
iPod Tracks

This is option 00 (simplest deployment) without triggers or tracks.

---

Triggers and other electronics usually stay grouped together in a rack and can be picked up with a standard Fan to Fan snake.  The one drummer I work with with a lot of electronics has it all in one rack, including his hardwired ears.

Interesting. Thanks!

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 02:57:50 PM »

Brainstorming this a bit.

Let's simplify.

While I like the idea of having a festival setup that handles all types of deployments.

That's expensive and unwarranted when 65% of my gigs are just the basics.

While I think removing the 3 triggers would simplify, I think if they were loomed in with the snake it'd be fast & easy to setup just as much as the mics.

K-In
K-Out
S-Top
S-Bot
S-Trig
Hat
T1
T1-Trig
T2
T2-Trig
OHL
OHR

These are the channels the custom loomed snake will use.
Extra mic'd elements can have an XLR run to them.
Board patch will always stay the same (fully involved)

I like the idea of multiple looms for easier moving about.
I can see a scenario where when switching out drum sets (I don't do this often) this would be advantageous.

Loom1 (2ch) - K-in, K-out
Loom2 (4ch) - SnTop, SnBot, SnTrig, Hat
Loom3 (2ch) T1, T1-Trig
Loom4 (2ch) T2, T2-Trig

There are now 3 new tabs (sheets) in the spreadsheet.
Option A,B,C
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 03:48:58 PM by Nathan Riddle »

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 10:15:29 AM »

The best think I ever did was make up a mini drum loom - 4 way multicore, right angle XLRs at the mic end on short ~1m tails, and colour coded either end.

I use it for the core of the kit, whatever's closest together.  And then singles for the rest. 6 way would have been nicer, but couldnt' find that easily, and 8 way would become too chunky.  Just tidying up that core achieves a lot, and I'm not worried about not being able to reach distant floor toms with my loom.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 10:15:29 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.