ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to do side-chain multi-band compression live?  (Read 1334 times)

Adam W Lambert

Re: Best way to do side-chain multi-band compression live?
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 05:19:02 PM »

I vote for a dynamic EQ on the music channel keyed by the vocal mic to dip key frequency ranges for “body” and intelligibility.

Yes! That's precisely what I'm looking for. Are you aware of a hardware/plugin solution with low enough latency for live?

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 04:45:36 PM »

Yes! That's precisely what I'm looking for. Are you aware of a hardware/plugin solution with low enough latency for live?

If this is an install, you should have QSys or Xilica or Symetrix type DSP; all of these should have this function.  Trying to install a sound console for an installed, non-audio-FOH-engineer user is the wrong tool for the job. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2023, 10:50:38 AM »

If this is an install, you should have QSys or Xilica or Symetrix type DSP; all of these should have this function.  Trying to install a sound console for an installed, non-audio-FOH-engineer user is the wrong tool for the job.

^ This!

The DiGiCo SD I run doesn't do this....

Perhaps there is a big boy console (read $40-200k) that does this natively (although not that I can think of, off the top of my head).

This is exactly what Waves running an F6 plugin can do, which is a heap cheaper than a large format desk, but still cost prohibitive for what you want to do.

---

Again if you have a basic console or controller (X32, SQ, QSYS etc) try keying the music channel comp to your mic, and key the frequency to the area where the music is masking the voice. This will get you pretty darn close to the same result.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2023, 02:14:05 PM »

A possible work around based on say a CL or QL console. If it works it could be implemented on other consoles or even a standalone DSP depending on the architecture.

Instantiate a stereo dynamic EQ in the premium rack
-Run the announce mic into two channels, one that goes to the mix output and one that is only for triggering the insert.
-Insert the  dyn EQ into the processor mic channel, set a -12db wide bandwidth filter centered at 2k5hz and adjust the threshold to reliably trigger on the announce mic signal. Some pre insert compression might be in order or it may work better to feed this from an Aux.
-Insert the other channel of the stereo dynamic EQ in the music channel ( yea, gotta be mono to make this work ). Trim the music channel pre insert low enough enough that it does NOT trigger the filter.
-Confirm that you're getting the articulation range attenuation you want when the mic signal does trigger the EQ and dial up the post insert gain on the music channel to the desired level.

Yes the gain structure would be weird and yes it's a lot of bending over backwards but it 'should' ( might ) work.

Jordan Wolf

Best way to do side-chain multi-band compression live?
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2023, 11:41:51 PM »

Are you aware of a hardware/plugin solution with low enough latency for live?
The BSS DPR-901 was a (“the”?) go-to Dynamic EQ hardware unit in its day.

You’d have to find one used, or the plug-in equivalent, but latency is not your friend, especially when it comes to inserts.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

Best way to do side-chain multi-band compression live?
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2023, 11:41:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.