ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help Please  (Read 1862 times)

Paul Andrew

Re: Need Help Please
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2023, 05:49:18 AM »

True but he it sounds like he does not have those resources available and his amps are not mega watt super monsters, keeping the amps out of clipping will be a big step in protecting his system.
The live system tweaking would be limiter thresholds.

Speaking of the system what is the rest of the system.

Ty for answer, The only chance is to take the whole system to the threshold of clipping and then stay the limiter. Either with pink noise or a drum set I climb the volumes and set the threshold. I've seen that there are some online measuring calculators for the limiter are good or not?

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2023, 12:39:11 PM »

Ty for answer, The only chance is to take the whole system to the threshold of clipping and then stay the limiter. Either with pink noise or a drum set I climb the volumes and set the threshold. I've seen that there are some online measuring calculators for the limiter are good or not?

If you are setting the limiter just below amp clipping do it without the speakers connected to the amp.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2023, 01:03:20 PM »

Setting limiters is just one part of properly setting up and protecting a PA.  Before you get to the limiting you need to make sure that you’ve got your gain staging done properly.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2023, 01:20:48 PM »

This element can add a level of complexity to your process but it can also be a significant element in the protection regime. Very often amps have far more gain ( amplification factor ) than needed for the task at hand. If you routinely find that the meters on your mixer rarely show more than a few green bars that's a good indication that your gain structure is out of calibration. Reducing the gain of the amps by turning down the input level controls until the mixer meters show a level close to clipping when the over all sound system is near maximum required output level improves your chances of not damaging the speakers.

Setting limiters is just one part of properly setting up and protecting a PA.  Before you get to the limiting you need to make sure that you’ve got your gain staging done properly.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2023, 01:31:32 PM »

Hello everyone ! I was directed to ask for help on this forum. So on the 30th I have an event with DJ and live, I would like you to help me limit the amplifiers in dsp so as not to destroy everything.

I would first try to tame the volume issue at-its-source.
I have found that DJ's like it loud....  Give the DJ an overly-aggressive monitor rig (think of what he would need..................and double it...)
and point it at-his-head.
Make sure that it has plenty of headroom.

In lieu of using a DSP I have used a limiter (DBX2231 EQ w/limiter).  It's a stereo unit and I have run my mixer into the top channel input, then top channel output to bottom channel input, then bottom channel output to power amps.

This way I have two layers of limiting available....
...and yes, I have had the top channel clamped-down-all-the-way and the bottom channel engaged with DJ's......

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2023, 08:18:31 PM »

Limiters are great for short duration 'oh crap' moments when things get out of hand unexpectedly, such as a feedback loop, mic drop, etc.

The dangerous thing to remember about limiters is that when you are into limit, you actually end up INCREASING the total average power over just turning the volume down.

For a limiter to truly be effective and protect your speakers, it ends up needing to be set at about 1/4 the power handling capability of the speakers.

Brian Jojade

Paul Andrew

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2023, 08:17:06 AM »

Ok I'm going to try as you say. So computers for online limiter are good? That we've seen that it calculates you automatically settings gain time etc

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2023, 08:17:06 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.