ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer X32 Rack  (Read 1663 times)

Al Rettich

Behringer X32 Rack
« on: March 14, 2023, 08:17:44 AM »

Has anyone ever tried to use a Behringer X32 rack as a computer I/O? I have a client who we were talking last night, he says he’s going to take a dozen measurement mics, put them into the trouble spots of his theater, so he can always keep an eye in Smaart what’s going on, and that his Mac will see all the inputs from the X32.  I assumed he was using the record card, he agreed? Has this been done before? We don’t own a lot of X32Racks, but if this is true they’re starting to impress me. 

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Behringer X32 Rack
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 09:48:18 AM »

I've always used the XR18 as a very handy 18 x 8 USB interface with a mixer thrown in so to the extent that the X32 rack has similar functionality then I'd expect so.

John Schalk

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 11:38:49 AM »

I recently started using my X32 Rack as my multi-mic I/O interface with Smaart.  It also works with Open Sound Meter and REW.  This is with the standard X-USB card installed in the rack.  Mic inputs are straight forward to associated, but it does require some thought as to how/where you choose to take your outputs.  For example, do you need a full loop-back reference or can you make do with a digital reference point?  Do you want to have the Eq & Delay active on the outputs for system tuning or not?  While I appreciate the flexibility of the X32 Routing menus, they are still a bit confusing to me, so I had to make a few notes to myself about how I had the scene for Smaart setup.  The other con is simply that the X32 Rack is a bit chunky to haul around, especially if you do not plan to use the EQ & Delay features.  I've got my eye on an Evo-8 USB interface which has 4 mic inputs in a pretty small box.  That would give me three measurement microphones and one full loop-back channel. 

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 12:30:27 PM »

The flexibility of the X32Rack is just flat out amazing.  It's routing capabilities make most other offerings seem like a joke.

The other con is simply that the X32 Rack is a bit chunky to haul around, especially if you do not plan to use the EQ & Delay features.  I've got my eye on an Evo-8 USB interface which has 4 mic inputs in a pretty small box.  That would give me three measurement microphones and one full loop-back channel.

The OP is planning to put this into a theater with a dozen mics around.  You'd need at least 3 EVO 8's to accomplish that, and the cluster it would create wouldn't be any better than the single rack mount X32 unit.

Yes, there are lots of other USB audio interfaces on the market as well with more inputs and whatnot.  The cool thing with the X32 is that it's one piece of gear that can do what a ton of other stuff can, all in one box.  You can route things in, out and through in so many amazing ways, it's mind boggling.

Yes, it takes a little bit to wrap your head around how to set it up at first, but once it clicks, it's super super easy to do.

I did one installation that needed a couple mics in each of 8 breakout rooms.  The initial design was a small mixer in each room.  Instead, an X32 was used as the core. Now audio can be routed into one or many of the rooms very easily when needed. They only bought 2 wireless mics and can just turn them on in the room that's needed. No moving receivers around.  Use mixing station and you can put an iPad in each room that's restricted to its own output for easy control. It's awesome crazy!
Brian Jojade

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 07:46:01 PM »

{...} The cool thing with the X32 is that it's one piece of gear that can do what a ton of other stuff can, all in one box. {...}

...especially, I would add, at that price point.

IIRC, for a couple of years before Yamaha came out with the Tio1608-D, an X32 Rack with an X-Dante card was—on a cost-per-preamp basis—literally the cheapest way to get mic-level analogue audio into a Dante network.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 07:46:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.