Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

on-off-on "light switch"

<< < (2/6) > >>

Bob Faulkner:
Thanks again for the switch link!

My project is to supply power (12V) to a single strip of LED lights.  But, the power would be originating from 2 separate sources.  At any given time, the LED lights would receive their power from only 1 electrical source at a time.  Therefore, if one source of power is unavailable, I could switch (using the on-off-on switch) to the other power source for the same set of LED lights.  Also, I could power-off the LED lights by keeping the switch in the middle position.

I downloaded a Leviton "schematic" covering double pole switches.
https://www.leviton.com/en/docs/PK-93107-10-02-0D-W.pdf

On page #1 of the document (it's only 2 pages) under Figure #3, this looks like what I need... however, the schematic shows two loads, but I only need one.  From the schematics, looks like Circuit A can only power "load 1" and Circuit B can only power "load 2".

Question: Can the "load 2" be wired into "load 1" so that circuit "B" can power "load 1" when the switch is moved from Circuit A to Circuit B? 

Should I be looking at a completely different solution?

Bottom line...I'm trying to come up with a way to have a redundant power source for a single set of LED lights in my trailer.

Thanks.

Art Welter:

--- Quote from: Bob Faulkner on February 24, 2023, 12:59:21 PM ---

Should I be looking at a completely different solution?

Bottom line...I'm trying to come up with a way to have a redundant power source for a single set of LED lights in my trailer.

--- End quote ---

The "Single Pole Double Throw Center-Off" (wiring figure 2) should do what you want, for DC voltage applications "Hot" is replaced by "+" and "Neutral" is replaced by "".
L1 would connect to the load "+" (LED lights), A1 connects to PS 1 "+" ,  A2 connects to PS 2 "+".

The load and DC power source "-"  would connect in parallel.

Bob Faulkner:

--- Quote from: Art Welter on February 24, 2023, 05:32:49 PM ---The "Single Pole Double Throw Center-Off" (wiring figure 2) should do what you want, for DC voltage applications "Hot" is replaced by "+" and "Neutral" is replaced by "".
L1 would connect to the load "+" (LED lights), A1 connects to PS 1 "+" ,  A2 connects to PS 2 "+".

The load and DC power source "-"  would connect in parallel.

--- End quote ---
Thank you Art!

Steve-White:
SPDT NO - Single Pole, Double Throw, Normally Open - Single Pole Toggle Switch would probably work.

However:

--- Quote from: Steve Crump on February 23, 2023, 09:00:53 PM ---LINKY

--- End quote ---

DPDT NO above would be best as it will keep both power sources isolated from one another.  Switch both sides of the batteries.

Bob Faulkner:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on February 25, 2023, 08:38:07 AM ---SPDT NO - Single Pole, Double Throw, Normally Open - Toggle Switch would probably work.

However:

DPDT NO above would be best as it will keep both power sources isolated from one another.

--- End quote ---
What I'm looking at with either the SPDT or DPDT are ON-OFF-ON toggles.  The SPDT appears exactly what I need.  Though, for a DPDT toggle, I would need to connect (using a jumper wire) the "2" load to the "1" load, in order to route the power from the second 12V service to the LED light.  Is "cross-connecting" of wires an acceptable practice?

Follow up question:  would there be any issues with having 2 x 12V batteries (independent of each other) sharing a common " - ", when one of those batteries is powering the LED light?     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version