ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: on-off-on "light switch"  (Read 4773 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
on-off-on "light switch"
« on: February 23, 2023, 06:32:33 PM »

Has anyone seen a on-off-on toggle light switch?  There seems to be plenty of on-off-on switches (small switches), but I have not been able to find one that looks like a regular light switch... something that can be installed in a standard (USA standard) light-switch box.

I'm trying to find a way to quickly switch between two different power sources (12V) for some 12V LED lighting.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: on-off-on "light switch"
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 08:51:45 PM »

Has anyone seen a on-off-on toggle light switch?  There seems to be plenty of on-off-on switches (small switches), but I have not been able to find one that looks like a regular light switch... something that can be installed in a standard (USA standard) light-switch box.

I'm trying to find a way to quickly switch between two different power sources (12V) for some 12V LED lighting.
2 standard switches side by each, 1 mounted backwards, with a joining bar?  Doesn't get you an off position, but I built it for the projection booth in high school to swap projectors. Far better than wrapping an AC cord around my foot to kill one when i started the second...
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Steve Crump

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 09:00:53 PM »

LINKY
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 06:32:09 AM by Mac Kerr »

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 11:49:40 PM »

There is also the Leviton 1281 which is SPDT maintained contact.
Scott Hofmann

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 09:38:28 AM »

2 standard switches side by each, 1 mounted backwards, with a joining bar?  Doesn't get you an off position, but I built it for the projection booth in high school to swap projectors. Far better than wrapping an AC cord around my foot to kill one when i started the second...
Chris.
Right, no off position!  I thought about using 2 switches but couldn't work out "off"

LINKY

There is also the Leviton 1281 which is SPDT maintained contact.
Many thanks guys!!

I knew there had to be something available!  In all of my searches I was looking for "on-off-on", which apparently was restricting the results. 

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 12:59:21 PM »

Thanks again for the switch link!

My project is to supply power (12V) to a single strip of LED lights.  But, the power would be originating from 2 separate sources.  At any given time, the LED lights would receive their power from only 1 electrical source at a time.  Therefore, if one source of power is unavailable, I could switch (using the on-off-on switch) to the other power source for the same set of LED lights.  Also, I could power-off the LED lights by keeping the switch in the middle position.

I downloaded a Leviton "schematic" covering double pole switches.
https://www.leviton.com/en/docs/PK-93107-10-02-0D-W.pdf

On page #1 of the document (it's only 2 pages) under Figure #3, this looks like what I need... however, the schematic shows two loads, but I only need one.  From the schematics, looks like Circuit A can only power "load 1" and Circuit B can only power "load 2".

Question: Can the "load 2" be wired into "load 1" so that circuit "B" can power "load 1" when the switch is moved from Circuit A to Circuit B? 

Should I be looking at a completely different solution?

Bottom line...I'm trying to come up with a way to have a redundant power source for a single set of LED lights in my trailer.

Thanks.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 05:32:49 PM »

Should I be looking at a completely different solution?

Bottom line...I'm trying to come up with a way to have a redundant power source for a single set of LED lights in my trailer.

The "Single Pole Double Throw Center-Off" (wiring figure 2) should do what you want, for DC voltage applications "Hot" is replaced by "+" and "Neutral" is replaced by "–".
L1 would connect to the load "+" (LED lights), A1 connects to PS 1 "+" ,  A2 connects to PS 2 "+".

The load and DC power source "-"  would connect in parallel.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2023, 08:08:16 AM »

The "Single Pole Double Throw Center-Off" (wiring figure 2) should do what you want, for DC voltage applications "Hot" is replaced by "+" and "Neutral" is replaced by "–".
L1 would connect to the load "+" (LED lights), A1 connects to PS 1 "+" ,  A2 connects to PS 2 "+".

The load and DC power source "-"  would connect in parallel.
Thank you Art!

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2023, 08:38:07 AM »

SPDT NO - Single Pole, Double Throw, Normally Open - Single Pole Toggle Switch would probably work.

However:

LINKY

DPDT NO above would be best as it will keep both power sources isolated from one another.  Switch both sides of the batteries.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 03:25:02 PM by Steve-White »

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2023, 01:20:37 PM »

SPDT NO - Single Pole, Double Throw, Normally Open - Toggle Switch would probably work.

However:

DPDT NO above would be best as it will keep both power sources isolated from one another.
What I'm looking at with either the SPDT or DPDT are ON-OFF-ON toggles.  The SPDT appears exactly what I need.  Though, for a DPDT toggle, I would need to connect (using a jumper wire) the "2" load to the "1" load, in order to route the power from the second 12V service to the LED light.  Is "cross-connecting" of wires an acceptable practice?

Follow up question:  would there be any issues with having 2 x 12V batteries (independent of each other) sharing a common " - ", when one of those batteries is powering the LED light?     

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2023, 01:20:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.