Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Wireless and Communications

Help with intercoms

(1/4) > >>

Stephen Beatty:
 Hello and thanks in advance. I hope this is the right forum for this.

I volunteer at our local theater. We need intercoms for support of events and such. We need only about 5 stations. FOH, stage, projection booth and general house/event leader.

We have decent wifi but with 460 people in the house?? I would like to go wireless. We could go wired but getting the connections around would be some work.

And then there are the products like Unity. using your phone as opposed to something like the stand alone Eartec headsets?

Thanks, Steve

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Stephen Beatty on February 15, 2023, 09:11:07 AM --- Hello and thanks in advance. I hope this is the right forum for this.

I volunteer at our local theater. We need intercoms for support of events and such. We need only about 5 stations. FOH, stage, projection booth and general house/event leader.

We have decent wifi but with 460 people in the house?? I would like to go wireless. We could go wired but getting the connections around would be some work.

And then there are the products like Unity. using your phone as opposed to something like the stand alone Eartec headsets?

Thanks, Steve

--- End quote ---

Unity on a local server can be have fairly low latency if the WiFi environment is relatively uncluttered.  It's one of those "really good for what it costs" things.

Hollyland Solidcom M1 systems.  I think there was an unflattering review here at PSW, whilst there was a more situationally-realistic review over at controlbooth.com about a year ago.  The user review there was not fan-boy, but from the perspective of "we need wireless coms and understand we get what we pay for."   At our state thespian conference one of the schools brought an 8 pack system and I asked the students what they thought.  Mostly they indicated that "they work" and didn't have a deeper evaluation.   The teacher was happy with it.  There are probably more reviews out now.

[email protected]:

--- Quote from: Stephen Beatty on February 15, 2023, 09:11:07 AM --- Hello and thanks in advance. I hope this is the right forum for this.

Thanks, Steve

--- End quote ---

I'm not a big fan of systems like Unity. I like to have a separate intercom from anything else...

I don't know how these are available and received in US, but here in Scandinavia most of the big rental companies have chosen this path and changed their ClearComs, RDS etc. away.

https://www.greengodigital.com/

My experience on these is that they are excellent with one downside. The downside is the battery life on wireless beltpacks, but while saying that I haven't found it to be a problem. I just have an extra battery with me and the change is done so fast that it does not matter.

Br,
-Minka-

Stephen Beatty:
 Thanks for the replies. The GreenGo looks nice but is anyone here a dealer?
 And yes I am not inclined to have to setup a server or go subscription for something like Unity. These need to be very for use by not to technically oriented volunteers. And I would say under $3000 US for a package with 5 stations.
 What I was looking at is something along the lines of the Eartec style system.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Stephen Beatty on February 16, 2023, 10:14:41 AM --- Thanks for the replies. The GreenGo looks nice but is anyone here a dealer?
 And yes I am not inclined to have to setup a server or go subscription for something like Unity. These need to be very for use by not to technically oriented volunteers. And I would say under $3000 US for a package with 5 stations.
 What I was looking at is something along the lines of the Eartec style system.

--- End quote ---

Then you've answered your own question.  AFIK, that's about as inexpensive as a "decent" system gets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version