ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The S16 can not get connection with X32, AES50 ports is failing? two of them?  (Read 5086 times)

Dakai Sun

Well, from your description it looks like the AES50 port has failed.  Perhaps your friend plugged in a PoE switch to the AES50 port instead of the "remote" RJ45.  There have been some reports of the ports failing without extra "help", too.

The only way to check your S16 is to plug it into a known-working X/M32. 

Good luck, Dakai.

Thank you !
Could we repair this by ourself?
How can we fix this?
Is there any solution from behringer? Since it is a common evil problem, why is it easy to break?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 11:14:17 AM by Dakai Sun »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina

Hello friends:

Could some one can help me,

Can the interface AES50 ports be damaged?
Got static electricity on your hands? Plugged in by mistake? Or plugged into the wrong port?
Since this happened in this venue, is there any possibility that the power in the ballroom area is unstable, or the damage caused by electromagnetic interference?
Has some one experienced this situation?

Now all cable worked before now can not get connection from X32 to S16

Two ports damaged at same show?
Can the interface be damaged so easily?

We used the X32 and S16 about 4 years already, first time encountering this situation

The situation is this:
On our last SHOW setup time, When I plugin to AES50 A port, No thing show up on my x32,
We changed to AES50 B, shows a red lights, after I set the AES50 b let it worked as the light is green, I want to try AES50 A again, got nothing ,then back to AES50 B, this time also got nothing.
We try 3 cables, no a cable issue
I reset to factory setting, neither work.
After this I think the AES50 ports are failed. but do not know on X32 or S16

Please Help!

Thanks

I use Allen & Heath mixing products.
About 3 years ago, I went to run sound at a show using my QU PAC (Rack mount mixer). I attempted to get connection with my iPad and after many failed attempts and switching out of cables and iPads, I decided to abandon and sit stage side mixing with the limited access the QU PAC
offers. I didn't have a mixer with faders with me. It was miserable mixing that way BUT at least the QU PAC offers some 'mixing on the fly' features as it has a screen ......
Anyway, the next day I checked the ethernet port in the back of the QU PAC and using a flashlight and magnifying glasses, I could see one of the pins was crooked. The week before, I had used the mixer to record some drum tracks and I recalled accidentally trying to push the usb B cable into the ethernet port by mistake by not looking closely enough. Didn't think anything of it till now. I hadn't pushed in very hard at all before I realized it didn't fit. Seems it doesn't take a lot to bend those little pins.....
Anyway, I used a pair of fine nose needle pliers to gently pop the pin back into place and I have been using the QU PAC remotely ever since without any issues.
Hope this helps......
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB

Since it is a common evil problem, why is it easy to break?

The general consensus from people who know more about these things than I do is that Behringer cut corners on the AES50 port circuit design.  Combine this with a physical connection that gets used for a lot of different and incompatible things and you’ve got a recipe for broken stuff.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB

Since it is a common evil problem, why is it easy to break?

The general consensus from people who know more about these things than I do is that Behringer cut corners on the AES50 port circuit design.  Combine this with a physical connection that gets used for a lot of different and incompatible things and you’ve got a recipe for broken stuff.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics

If you look at the little yellow sticker under the AES jacks, it clearly states SHIELDED CABLE (STP) ONLY.  It's also strongly recommended to use Ethercon connectors instead of just raw RJ45's.

Without the shielding, the AES port becomes EXTREMELY sensitive to external interference.

Just because the cable has been working fine before doesn't mean something didn't go wrong.  there have been countless posts discussing what is good practice for AES cables.  Lots of stuff 'works' - until it doesn't.

For troubleshooting this, you have 3 possible sources of the problem. 

1. The cable is bad.  Find a shielded Ethercon cable to swap out.  This is the cheapest and easiest fix.  I'm leaning towards this, since you said you changed the connection and it worked for a little bit before failing.

2. The S16 ports are bad.  Possibility because you plugged it into both ports on the X32 and got failures.  It's possible that the S16 has failed in some way that it's taking out the other ports when you use it.

3. The X32 ports have failed.  As others stated, this certainly can happen.  I had AES50 ports blown by a lightning strike nearby an AES50 cable when the mixer wasn't even powered on.  Having them both fail though seems like an external cause since they are separate circuits in the unit.
Brian Jojade

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC

If you look at the little yellow sticker under the AES jacks, it clearly states SHIELDED CABLE (STP) ONLY.  It's also strongly recommended to use Ethercon connectors instead of just raw RJ45's.

Without the shielding, the AES port becomes EXTREMELY sensitive to external interference.

Just because the cable has been working fine before doesn't mean something didn't go wrong.  there have been countless posts discussing what is good practice for AES cables.  Lots of stuff 'works' - until it doesn't.

1. The cable is bad.  Find a shielded Ethercon cable to swap out.  This is the cheapest and easiest fix.  I'm leaning towards this, since you said you changed the connection and it worked for a little bit before failing.

2. The S16 ports are bad.  Possibility because you plugged it into both ports on the X32 and got failures.  It's possible that the S16 has failed in some way that it's taking out the other ports when you use it.

3. The X32 ports have failed.  As others stated, this certainly can happen.  I had AES50 ports blown by a lightning strike nearby an AES50 cable when the mixer wasn't even powered on.  Having them both fail though seems like an external cause since they are separate circuits in the unit.

Like Brian said, one of three things.  I will add, the most likely culprit is #1 - not a "bad" cable, but rather an inappropriate cable.  I've seen AES50 comm happen over UTP, but that is not what Behringer specs.  Again as Brian noted, the yellow sticker states SHIELDED CABLE (STP) ONLY.

A much fuller discussion of the oddities of AES50 spec is contained in this post:
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,177881.msg1642290.html#msg1642290

The short and sweet is to use cat5e STP cable (not cat6, 6e, 6a, 7, or 8. )with ethercons, preferably "factory" installed on the cable.  The thing to remember AES50 is NOT ethernet, although the cable is similar.

Again, as Brian wrote,  "Lots of stuff 'works' - until it doesn't."  Stick to the spec if you want reliable console to stagebox communications.

Once a proper cable is in use, I doubt you'll have to worry about the AES50 ports being bad.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 02:11:58 PM by frank kayser »

Dakai Sun

Hello Thanks for your reply

I have preached a new x32 rack , when it arrived will test if S16 and X32 failed.

Please check this for me ,is this a good cable for X32 AND S16?
RAPCO DURACAT ETHERCON CAT6E SOLID HEAVY DUTY CABLE
https://www.avshop.ca/index.php?main_page=product_parent_info&cPath=1_424_429&products_id=24973

KLARK TEKNIK Stage and Studio Power Cable (NCAT5E-50M)
https://www.amazon.ca/KLARK-TEKNIK-Stage-Studio-NCAT5E-50M/dp/B00QLWZC7C/ref=sr_1_1?crid=ISBO9FABK3NV&keywords=Klark+Teknik+NCAT5E-50M&qid=1676575581&sprefix=klark+teknik+ncat5e-50m%2Caps%2C123&sr=8-1#

Is there a 100M option for KLARK TEKNIK NCAT5E ?

I have a question when I use a 200ft cable , if in a big venue We have to run a 400 ft ,could we add a signal amplifier between those two 200ft cables?
klark teknik DN9610
https://www.klarkteknik.com/product.html?modelCode=P0AS5

« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 02:31:13 PM by Dakai Sun »

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics

The spec specifically is shielded cat5e with ethercon connections. Cat 6e cable is NOT the listed spec.  It might work, but isn't the spec.

For a 400 foot run, you're definitely over max length for a single cable.  You would need to either use the repeater, or get yourself a spare X32 and route the signals through that.
Brian Jojade

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC

The spec specifically is shielded cat5e with ethercon connections. Cat 6e cable is NOT the listed spec.  It might work, but isn't the spec.

For a 400 foot run, you're definitely over max length for a single cable.  You would need to either use the repeater, or get yourself a spare X32 and route the signals through that.

This 75m one fits the spec...
https://www.thomannmusic.com/pro_snake_88385_75.htm
also
https://www.thomannmusic.com/pro_snake_cat5e_cable_75m.htm

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: The S16 can not get connection with X32, AES50 ports is failing? two of them?
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2023, 12:24:10 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.