ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera tripod stand... what are you using?  (Read 1029 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Camera tripod stand... what are you using?
« on: February 09, 2023, 12:15:36 AM »

I'm looking to replace an old Velbon 7000 camera tripod stand (it is very old and is falling apart).  It's aluminum construction with a non-fluid head.  It extends to about 5' 5" high;

Curious if anyone is using a higher quality Velbon, or perhaps a Neewer (w/fluid heads)?  I do photography and video as a hobby and just need something better than what I have.  I looked at Manfrotto, but those are a bit expensive for what I use a camera for.  I'm trying to keep my budget for this around $200.  I need something that can hold around 15 lbs.  My camera is a Canon 80D with Sigma lenses.  The lenses are somewhat heavy.  I'm looking at getting an actual video camera (the 80D does ok, but it's not really for video).  Velbon and Neewer have some affordable offerings, but without touching or using them, I can't make a choice!

Any suggestions would be most appreciative.

Bob Stone

Re: Camera tripod stand... what are you using?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 03:10:53 AM »

Just buy the Manfrotto. I bought one nearly 15 years ago for my new at the time Nikon D80 and it's still going strong, you'd have a hard time telling it wasn't brand new.

I also have a couple Neewer lights and accessories, they are very very cheap and although I don't mind having a static light sitting on one of their tripods, I wouldn't be putting an expensive DSLR on it.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 09:03:44 AM »

I have a carbon fiber manfrotto that collapses very small and is great for backpacking.  It’s not a fluid head, I only use it for stills.

Fluid heads are all about matching the head weight range to the weight range of your camera gear.  The legs need to be sturdy enough to support the weight at the height you want to work at.

$200 is really low budget for quality legs and a fluid head that really works.  I find people consistently underestimate the cost of camera support.  It’s especially bade with broadcast cameras where support can be in the 10k+ range.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 09:54:55 AM »

Just buy the Manfrotto. I bought one nearly 15 years ago for my new at the time Nikon D80 and it's still going strong, you'd have a hard time telling it wasn't brand new.

I also have a couple Neewer lights and accessories, they are very very cheap and although I don't mind having a static light sitting on one of their tripods, I wouldn't be putting an expensive DSLR on it.
I keep drifting back to Manfrotto... I many end up with something from them.  Thanks for your experience with the Neewer line.  They look great (on the internet), but I have never handled one.

I have a carbon fiber manfrotto that collapses very small and is great for backpacking.  It’s not a fluid head, I only use it for stills.

Fluid heads are all about matching the head weight range to the weight range of your camera gear.  The legs need to be sturdy enough to support the weight at the height you want to work at.

$200 is really low budget for quality legs and a fluid head that really works.  I find people consistently underestimate the cost of camera support.  It’s especially bade with broadcast cameras where support can be in the 10k+ range.
I did find that Velbon has a moderately priced stand with a fluid head, but have not touched/handled them.  I'm not sure of the quality.  However, I certainly don't need top of the line!  You are correct... it has been about 20 years since needing a camera stand; damn, halfway decent ones are very expensive!

Tim Halligan

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 10:21:13 AM »

it has been about 20 years since needing a camera stand; damn, halfway decent ones are very expensive!

A "vision dollar" is worth significantly less that an "audio dollar."

It takes many more "vision dollars" to buy serious kit compared to an audio "equivalent."

;D

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 11:02:45 AM »

It takes many more "vision dollars" to buy serious kit compared to an audio "equivalent."

;D

Cheers,
Tim

So true.  I remember when I thought 80K for an audio desk (analog days) was a lot.  Then I learned about video gear.  The camera setups on most corporate work I've done are 250K each and that isn't the top end either.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 12:36:55 PM »

Manfrotto all the way.
I started "budget" but rented a Manfrotto for a particular job. The budget was replaced in 2 weeks with a basic Manfrotto tripod and head.  They are still in use over 30 years later......
I have 2 tripods, geared head on my "studio" tripod and standard head on the "portable". The Monopod has a  Ball head.  No video. so no need for that feature set.
Ya, it's expensive. So are the bodies/lenses they support.
I often hang sandbags off the center post for increased stability.
Chris.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 12:49:04 PM by Chris Hindle »
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 04:12:55 PM »

;D

Cheers,
Tim
Well said!!

Manfrotto all the way.
I started "budget" but rented a Manfrotto for a particular job. The budget was replaced in 2 weeks with a basic Manfrotto tripod and head.  They are still in use over 30 years later......
I have 2 tripods, geared head on my "studio" tripod and standard head on the "portable". The Monopod has a  Ball head.  No video. so no need for that feature set.
Ya, it's expensive. So are the bodies/lenses they support.
I often hang sandbags off the center post for increased stability.
Chris.
I am not a professional photographer, just a hobbyist; which is why I struggle to spend any amount of money on "supportive" gear.  I really want a fluid head for future video things.  -sigh- I guess I'll have to spend some money.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 04:33:16 PM »

Well said!!
I am not a professional photographer, just a hobbyist; which is why I struggle to spend any amount of money on "supportive" gear.  I really want a fluid head for future video things.  -sigh- I guess I'll have to spend some money.

The great thing about a quality setup is that the head is separate from the legs.  I’m just running a ball head but if I ever need a fluid I can just get one and swap it out.  There are some compatibility things to keep in mind but as long as your weight doesn’t change much you’ll probably be good to go.

FWIW I really like legs that have a hook where they come together so that I can hang a backpack there to add weight for stability.  It can make a big difference when it’s windy.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 05:55:49 PM »

The stability you need for video is MUCH higher than you need for photography.

For awesome video stuff, I've got a Vinten Vision tripod.  It was originally from some time around 1990, I believe.  Still works like new.  Cost back then was $8,000 or so.  Stupid expensive, but once you use it, you'll understand why.

For my still camera tripods, I primarily use Gitzo carbon fiber stuff, which I have several of.  They work for basic video fairly well with a fluid head attached.

I also have a Bogen/Manfroto tripod.  I usually keep that one in the studio because it uses flip locks instead of twist locks.  Twist locks result in a sleeker package to travel with.  Both are equally heavy duty, and again, for light video work with a light camera and medium lenght lens do the job.

Anything needing long lens work for video needs the better tripod though.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 05:55:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.