Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Coaxial Battle: SM80 vs DiaMon112

(1/8) > >>

Paul Mayer:
Anyone compared the much-loved Danley SM80 to the BassBoss/David Lee's DiaMon112 (or whatever it used to be called)? 
Both are coaxial speakers with an 80 degree conical pattern.  Since both use a B&C 12CXN76 (if my sources are correct), it would be interesting to shoot them out.

The SM80 is (short) horn-loaded, which makes an interesting design decision for pattern control.  It has an excellent reputation around here as a box to put on top of subwoofers and is the most recommended box I see.

If the DiaMon112 can provide similar SPL and sound quality, it would be an interesting alternative for those needing a self-powered box.  It's less than half the weight and competitively priced given its B&C/Powersoft components.

I'm curious how a full system like a TH118 x SM80 vs. VS21 x DiaMon112 would sound.  I'm sure both would be excellent (I own the VS21s and they're my favorite subs).

Scott Carneval:
In the Bassboss design the 12" driver isn't horn loaded, so the output will be significantly less than the SM80. The 1.4" HF will have plenty of output, but they've probably padded it down quite a bit to meet the 12".

Douglas R. Allen:

--- Quote from: Scott Carneval on February 08, 2023, 10:48:46 AM ---In the Bassboss design the 12" driver isn't horn loaded, so the output will be significantly less than the SM80. The 1.4" HF will have plenty of output, but they've probably padded it down quite a bit to meet the 12".

--- End quote ---

I haven't seen/heard either speaker but just by comparing the companies spec's the Bassboss is 1 db less output than the SM80. Both are 80 degree conical.  BassBoss is 3db's down at 80hz. SM80 3db's down at 140hz. BassBoss is US$2,595.00 self-powered with some processing available. Not sure of the current price of a SM80 and an amp with processing to run it. Might make for an interesting shoot out type comparison.

BassBoss-
Loudspeaker Description   12 inch co-axial, bi-amplified, self-powered top and monitor
Frequency Response (±3 dB)   80 – 18,000 Hz (full range)
Maximum Sustained Output   123 dB SPL, 1m, 2pi, half-space
Max SPL (Peak)*   133 dB
Nominal Dispersion (H° x V°)   80 x 80 (Conical)

BassBoss spec explanation.

- True Specifications
BASSBOSS technical specs are based on measurements of continuous performance in normal usage. Other manufacturers may specify output based on calculations rather than measurements; measurements outside the operating bandwidth; or on ‘Burst’ or ‘Peak’ readings.

BASSBOSS specifications are conservative compared to most manufacturers. They reflect what the products will achieve, consistently, in the real world. Since the real world is where you’ll be using your gear.

Our proactive philosophy causes specifications to be subject to change whenever improvements are made.

*Peak output is calculated using “industry standard” techniques. These calculation methods create theoretical specifications that are inflated over what can actually be achieved. BASSBOSS real world output specifications are provided as “Maximum Sustained Output” ratings, which reflect actual measured, continuous output levels.

SM-80 specs.
SM80-COVERAGE PATTERN
80° Conical
OPERATING FREQUENCY RANGE
140Hz-19kHz +/- 3dB
110Hz-22kHz – 10dB
CONTINUOUS OUTPUT
128 dB SPL
PEAK OUTPUT
134 dB SPL
SENSITIVITY
102 dB SPL

John L Nobile:
I'm wondering how low in frequency both speakers go before dispersion goes wider than 80°.

I'm liking the 31 lb weight vs the 65 lb SM80.

It's funny how important weight specs become as you get older.

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: John L Nobile on February 08, 2023, 02:41:16 PM ---I'm wondering how low in frequency both speakers go before dispersion goes wider than 80°.

I'm liking the 31 lb weight vs the 65 lb SM80.

It's funny how important weight specs become as you get older.

--- End quote ---
Danley has the polar plot (at several freqs) available on their web site.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version