Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Console Connectivity Solutions

Midas M32 + Behringer X32

(1/3) > >>

Al Rettich:
I have a client telling me it’s possible to connect a Behringer X32 Rack and a Midas M32 to a Midas DL32.  One desk would be master, the other using digital gain.  I’m not able to find any paperwork on how to obtain this.  Anyone have paperwork on how to achieve this?

Tim Verhoeven:

--- Quote from: Al Rettich on February 04, 2023, 10:10:29 AM ---I have a client telling me it’s possible to connect a Behringer X32 Rack and a Midas M32 to a Midas DL32.  One desk would be master, the other using digital gain.  I’m not able to find any paperwork on how to obtain this.  Anyone have paperwork on how to achieve this?

--- End quote ---

I don't have any direct link to a document that describes this, but there are some Youtube video's about this. But it does indeed work as described. The mean reason that is works is internally the X32 and M32 family are the same, they have the same processors & DSP, they run the same firmware and use the same AES50 connection protocol.

The second reason is that the firmware in the DL32 is written so that the console connected to AES50 port A on the DL32 wil get headamp control (and thus analog gain), the console connected to AES50 port B will not get headamp control, so the console will only do digital trim.

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Al Rettich on February 04, 2023, 10:10:29 AM ---{...} Anyone have paperwork on how to achieve this?

--- End quote ---

Page 10 of the DL32 Quick Start Guide outlines the process (just replace one of the M32s depicted with an X32 Rack; they're functionally identical). Note that, in this configuration, the DL32 (and, IIRC, the Behringer S32) will not pass audio from the console connected to its AES50-B port directly to its XLR outputs, but does allow you pass 16 channels of audio in each direction between the two connected consoles (which, with a little bit of patching magic, would allow you to pass audio from "console B" to the DL32 XLR outputs by routing it through "console A").

-Russ

Al Rettich:
If this is the case, can you take a PRO2, out at FOH and a X32 Rack off of a dL32?
--- Quote from: Russell Ault on February 10, 2023, 04:14:13 PM ---Page 10 of the DL32 Quick Start Guide outlines the process (just replace one of the M32s depicted with an X32 Rack; they're functionally identical). Note that, in this configuration, the DL32 (and, IIRC, the Behringer S32) will not pass audio from the console connected to its AES50-B port directly to its XLR outputs, but does allow you pass 16 channels of audio in each direction between the two connected consoles (which, with a little bit of patching magic, would allow you to pass audio from "console B" to the DL32 XLR outputs by routing it through "console A").

-Russ

--- End quote ---

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Al Rettich on February 19, 2023, 02:13:20 PM ---If this is the case, can you take a PRO2, out at FOH and a X32 Rack off of a dL32?

--- End quote ---

I've never used a Pro2, but a quick bit of Googling suggests that it isn't capable of operating at anything other than 96kHz, which means it won't be able to talk directly to a DL32 (which, like the rest of the X/M32 platform, can only operate at 48kHz).

There are ways to share inputs between a Pro2 and an X32 Rack, but they all require resampling of some kind (including, IIRC, at least one Pro-series stage box that can output different sample rates on its separate AES50 outputs).

-Russ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version