ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume levels for outdoor show at say 100'  (Read 1473 times)

Mal Brown

Volume levels for outdoor show at say 100'
« on: February 02, 2023, 03:31:54 PM »

in general what do you shoot for when doing sound for say a regional tribute (AC/DC, Zeppelin, Petty, Eagles, Heart, etc) act and one or more local support acts.

These are shows that for me, take place in muni parks, roped off parking lots with a tow in stage and NOT taking place in an arena setting.

Thanks, Mal
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steve Ferreira

Re: Volume levels for outdoor show at say 100'
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 04:21:12 PM »

Generally you will be given a permit which will state what your levels can be at a certain distance.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 05:03:02 PM »

It's going to depend on the type of event you're doing.  If it's a concert setting, generally it's going to be a little louder than if it's a park type setting where people are milling around and there's more of a social aspect to the event.

But, about 95dB for your typical outdoor park event is a pretty comfortable peak level
Brian Jojade

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 08:27:41 PM »

I shoot for what sounds good, is loud enough (at FOH), and provides enough headroom for the bass and percussive instruments.  For me, unless there is an SPL requirement, I don't run shows based on SPL.  However, as was referenced before, I have had to keep the SPL below a certain limit due to noise regulations.   

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 10:33:08 PM »

I wish I had a specific number for you, but I seldom have the meter out any more and don't trust my phone/camera/everyTHINGY device to accurately measure show SPL.

But part of my longevity in audio has come from an innate ability to not over-do levels for the audience or situation.  If I'm worried it's too loud, it probably is.  If I'm wondering if it's loud enough... but not getting complaints... it's just right.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 11:21:08 PM »

If I'm worried it's too loud, it probably is.  If I'm wondering if it's loud enough... but not getting complaints... it's just right.

^^^^Church^^^^

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 09:27:35 AM »

It depends on a lot of factors, however the biggest issue is PA deployment. Enough PA with enough trim heigt so the SPL distribution is even across the audience area makes it pretty easy. Keep within your local SPL limit (99dBA Leq30 in my area) knowing that you don’t rip anybodys head off in hotter areas. I aim for a rig that can do that SPL if needed with headroom, but it doesn’t mean that it’s going to be that loud.
Not enough rig for the gig, not enough trim height etc. and you’ll have to balance SPL in the far field against SPL in the hotter areas close to the PA. That’s not fun…
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 04:05:37 PM by Helge A Bentsen »

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 10:21:31 AM »

It's going to depend on the type of event you're doing.

I factor in how many families with kids are in the audience.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Mal Brown

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 12:14:45 PM »

Generally you will be given a permit which will state what your levels can be at a certain distance.

Never been seen one.  I'm fairly rural...

If I'm worried it's too loud, it probably is.  If I'm wondering if it's loud enough... but not getting complaints... it's just right.

has been my approach as well.  I would much prefer to be asked to bring it up rather than down.

I'm responding to a real general RFQ and kinda wondered where y'alls head were at on this topic.   Mid 90's at 100 -150 feet is pretty darned loud up front...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 12:23:00 PM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim Verhoeven

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 04:24:22 AM »

in general what do you shoot for when doing sound for say a regional tribute (AC/DC, Zeppelin, Petty, Eagles, Heart, etc) act and one or more local support acts.

These are shows that for me, take place in muni parks, roped off parking lots with a tow in stage and NOT taking place in an arena setting.

I always aim at starting at 95dB LAeq15 (so A-weighed, averaged over 15 minutes) and try to finish at 98dB LAeq15, next to that I want to get my C-A around 10 to 12 dB.
This is in my experience loud enough but not to loud for most people.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 04:24:22 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.