ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Long looms from stage pedal board to wireless rack unit  (Read 1620 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Long looms from stage pedal board to wireless rack unit
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2023, 02:45:57 AM »

Why wouldn't the wireless receiver be at the amp? 
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Long looms for guitar to wireless
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 10:31:07 AM »

I did; we were the opener and the tech for the headliner wasn’t sure who built them or how they wired them. I asked if he would open up the ends and he wasn’t too keen on the idea of messing with it.

Signal chain goes: ULXD to Kemper Stage (or Helix or Neural or whatever) via 100-ft loom; then from the kemper back to the mix rack via the same 100-foot loom. Apologies for the confusing title. I’m trying to avoid having the unbalanced instrument cable side of the loom pick-up noise along its run.

Again, really trying to avoid DI or boxes because they add clutter, and are easy to get lost when a dozen stage hands storm the deck and start pulling stuff during changeovers.

If you're running out of a RF RX then you've got a balanced signal already.  You've also already lost the tone that you get by going from guitar to amp with the amp loading down the pickups.  While your RF RX may have an unbalanced output there's no advantage to using it.  From there the question is how do you unbalance it at the pedalboard.  The easy way is with a DI or even better a 1:1 passive transformer box.  The more complicated way would be to use something like the Neutrik NTE1 built into the 1/4" end of the cable to unbalance it right before it hits the pedalboard.  You'd want to have 2 or 3 looms built this way as it's a lot harder to fix then plain-old-mic cables.

Probably the most correct way to do this would be to use a Kemper rack and go into it via the XLR "return input" and then use the remote pedalboard for on-stage control.  Of course if the band already has the stage product then you've got to convince them to spend money.  It's a lot nicer though, you just pull the lid off and have a 1U patch panel below the unit that everything plugs into.  Keep a few spare ethercon cables and you're ready to rock and roll.  No loom to have to maintain, troubleshoot, and otherwise manage. 

Scott Helmke

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 05:47:30 PM »

Why wouldn't the wireless receiver be at the amp?

The typical setup for an arena-level band is to have the guitar wireless receiver(s) at the guitar tech or monitor station, so they can keep an eye on battery status & retune if needed.

Brad Harris

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2023, 11:09:10 AM »

Heres what we do for wireless guitars and needing to get back on stage to a pedal board, where the wireless isn't on the pedal board (ie, in Guitar Tech or RF worlds)

XLR Line level out of the wireless, into a Radial Ice Cube (or any "re-amp" transformer, there are numerous) out from a XLR-TS adapter into said pedal board, and back down whatever means you need (DI/Mic on cabinet)

If it's on the pedal board, then just take the 1/4" output of the wireless and be on your way

BRad

[email protected]

• Finland, Uusimaa
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2023, 01:55:30 AM »

I did; we were the opener and the tech for the headliner wasn’t sure who built them or how they wired them. I asked if he would open up the ends and he wasn’t too keen on the idea of messing with it.

Signal chain goes: ULXD to Kemper Stage (or Helix or Neural or whatever) via 100-ft loom; then from the kemper back to the mix rack via the same 100-foot loom. Apologies for the confusing title. I’m trying to avoid having the unbalanced instrument cable side of the loom pick-up noise along its run.

Again, really trying to avoid DI or boxes because they add clutter, and are easy to get lost when a dozen stage hands storm the deck and start pulling stuff during changeovers.

With Kemper Stage, I would use the XLR outs (balanced also) from the Kemper.
Getting the signal into Kemper Stage is another story. It could be done with unbalanced cable (not recommended for long run), but I would myself look more into Shure QLXD16 (discontinued) kind of a solution.
We had the QLXD16 with the other guitarist who used Helix until he went to Kemper Profiling amplifier and the QLXD16 was perfect for that job. It's a shame it is discontinued...
Reason for him to move from Helix to Kemper Profiling amplifier was the sound he was pursuing.

What we've done now is:

Both guitarists have QLXD wireless and QLXD receiver is in same rack and connected to Kempers (Profiling amplifier in our case) and then EtherCon CAT to Kemper pedals and audio from Kemper amp is taken out of the XLR outs, which are balanced, behind the Kempers.
Lead guitarist also has a cabinet for his own pleasure which is driven from Kemper's speaker output.

All the gear (Kempers, wireless...) are in the same rack where our IEMs etc. are in the monitor world.

EDIT: The only thing to keep in mind with this setup is the lenght of CAT cable that Kemper is working with. We have a signal booster for the SR, because the lenght of the CAT is exceeding the limit for robust operation with Kemper.

To make everything easier we've done panel for the back panel of rack with EtherCon, TrueCon and XLR's (and speaker output for lead).

Br,
-Minka-
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 02:01:58 AM by Minka Matikainen »
95% of touring is work, and if you're lucky that 5% of the time is working with gear that are in good shape and according to rider...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2023, 01:55:30 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.