ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: se V7 compared to Sennheiser e935? Anyone compared both?  (Read 2467 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: se V7 compared to Sennheiser e935? Anyone compared both?
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 10:54:38 PM »

I didn't have the mic in my control, so I can't say for sure. But based on how I saw it being used, it was taken WAY better care of than the SM58's in my inventory.  The amount of difference in just a few months didn't make much sense.
Maybe her pretty little mic box is too well sealed? not letting things dry out between shows?
One way or another, I'm pretty sure the problem is humidity.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 07:11:10 PM »

The V7 has been the first mic in nearly 30 years to steer me away from the trusty SM58. The V7 has the type of rejection/directivity that you get out of the OM7 yet it is able to be "worked" by a vocalist and it doesn't sound like its been gated off when more than 4 inches away from a piehole.

The V7 has a pretty forward midrange and needs some EQ work to be considered usable, but the fact that it has a natural top end and not a brain dart like the 945, is a massive bonus. I am doing almost exclusively church work now and they all want that "christian air" high end breathiness and I can do it with this mic and the SM58 unlike every hyped mic out there.

Those mics with jumped-up high frequencies turn into shattered glass when you boost the high end to get more of that breathy sound. If the mic gives it to you flat, then great, but in my experience, they rarely have the "right" eq curve for the singer you are working with which means you are left to undo what the mic is adding so that you can go back and add in something different. I'd rather have a 58 that doesn't do anything wrong, but will take a ton of HF boost without sounding unnatural at all.

I like the V7. GBF is great. The top end is pretty natural. It can still be worked by a competent singer the same way they work a 58.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2023, 06:09:02 PM »

Looking to add a few more mics,  I'm a big fan of the sennheiser 935/945 and have a few sm & b58's.   I'm tempted to try the v7 as an alternative but while reviews are generally positive, a couple of people have said the output is a bit lower. 

Has anyone tried them with bands - do they come close to the quality of the Sennheisers for gbf or false economy?

I like the 935's and keep meaning to grab a V7 for comparison but haven't after 5 years of saying I would.

I side with Tim Mc on the issue of GBF and better monitors. When I switched to pro wedges, my feedback issues became almost nonexistent at the levels I generally work at.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 01:57:32 AM »

I like the 935's and keep meaning to grab a V7 for comparison but haven't after 5 years of saying I would.

I side with Tim Mc on the issue of GBF and better monitors. When I switched to pro wedges, my feedback issues became almost nonexistent at the levels I generally work at.

It's a Tim Club thing... ;)

I spent way too much of my early career trying to make the Wedges du Jour function for performers and eventually got better at it.  Then the ear-opening experience of hearing and using "real" monitors with a heftier price tag and matching performance.  Almost all the "corrective" work I'd been using was set aside - it made the better wedge sound like a mediocre wedge.  The difference made for changes in my workflow, for the better, and this was back in the "monitors from FOH", everything analogue days.

What made them better?  The plywood (of some kind) box.  Minimizing baffle step reflections and cabinet vibrations/resonance with material choice and bracing (built fine hernias 12 ways).  Better execution of porting.   Solve the initial physics issues with physical changes.

Kids these days don't know how good they've got it, all these fancy-pants DSP processed with Fury Filters amplifiers and better transducers!  Back in my day it was uphill with a JBL 2460 tied to each ankle...  oh, but back to the better wedges...

Suddenly more of my mics became 'monitor friendly.'  Not sure how that happened.  Must be magic, I guess. /nudge, wink
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 08:00:20 AM »

Kids these days don't know how good they've got it, all these fancy-pants DSP processed with Fury Filters amplifiers and better transducers!  Back in my day it was uphill with a JBL 2460 tied to each ankle...  oh, but back to the better wedges...

A 2460 is a light weight, a 2440 then we're talking leg weights.

Yes kids these day's, plug in a cable and flip a power switch, show them a pile of amps, crossovers and
Speakon cables and their lost.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2023, 09:45:42 AM »

Yes kids these day's, plug in a cable and flip a power switch, show them a pile of amps, crossovers and
Speakon cables and their lost.

I know your comment is mostly in jest, however I have seen plenty of younger techs come through thinking they need to start their day by hacking up a $3k wedge because someone drilled in to their head "this is how you do monitors."

They usually look at me like I'm crazy when I recommend unpatching all their GEQs and start sound check with the outputs flat.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 10:00:40 AM by Steve Eudaly »

John Schalk

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2023, 10:00:47 AM »

Did anyone else notice that Chris Stapleton's vocal mic was a wired SE v7 last night?

For those who may not follow American football, he performed the national anthem before the Super Bowl.

Nate Zifra

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2023, 12:01:37 PM »

Did anyone else notice that Chris Stapleton's vocal mic was a wired SE v7 last night?

For those who may not follow American football, he performed the national anthem before the Super Bowl.

Yep, noticed it right away!

Woody Nuss

• Santa Monica, CA
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2023, 03:30:50 PM »

How does the V7 hold up to spitters? Anyone used one for a long time? Do they hold up to abuse?

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2023, 10:18:03 PM »

I've worked on a few V7 that the bands have brought in to use... they aren't my cup of tea.   I prefer the e935.

For Vocal Mics I own SM58 (x6), Beta58a (x2), e935 (x9) and e945 (x6).  My go to are the e935, but own the others for 'rider' requests.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2023, 10:18:03 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.