Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

se V7 compared to Sennheiser e935? Anyone compared both?

(1/5) > >>

JohnPinchin:
Looking to add a few more mics,  I'm a big fan of the sennheiser 935/945 and have a few sm & b58's.   I'm tempted to try the v7 as an alternative but while reviews are generally positive, a couple of people have said the output is a bit lower. 

Has anyone tried them with bands - do they come close to the quality of the Sennheisers for gbf or false economy?

Bob Faulkner:
For a comparison, I use the e835 and e935.  There's a noticeable increase of mid-range presence in the e935 over the e835.  I have never used nor heard a v7.  However, the v7 shows to have a sensitivity of 2.0mV, whereas the e935 has a sensitivity of 2.8mV.  All things being equal (and generally speaking), the v7 will be a little quieter than the e935. 

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: JohnPinchin on January 31, 2023, 07:34:45 PM ---Looking to add a few more mics,  I'm a big fan of the sennheiser 935/945 and have a few sm & b58's.   I'm tempted to try the v7 as an alternative but while reviews are generally positive, a couple of people have said the output is a bit lower. 

Has anyone tried them with bands - do they come close to the quality of the Sennheisers for gbf or false economy?

--- End quote ---

So what's the problem with adding some "dB Love" at the channel strip input gain control?

GBF is not a function of a microphone's electrical output level.  GBF is a combination of things that either contribute less to, or break "the loop" of regenerative feedback.  Microphones with better phase coherency (which goes with pick up pattern uniformity) tend to have fewer hot spots and have been though of as having better GBF.

My take:  if gain before feedback is a routine consideration it may be more beneficial to look at the wedge monitors (or even PA, if there have been feedback issues with it).  I have far fewer "mic" problems when the wedges are good; if you're the singer, you're making decisions about technique and inflection based on relative quality of the wedge in front of you...

As for the Swedish Erot..er Electronica... I've seen <12 through my 2000 cap multi-use venue since Covid became less of a thing.  The only thing I recall is they seemed really good at cymbal pick up, from the singer's positions; they were otherwise unremarkable.  But... are you doing gigs where the performers request particular mics?  Are you or your crew the sole operators of your gear?  If the answers were no, and yes, buy whatever gives you a smile when you use them.

Of the 2 Sennheisers mentioned, the e935 is my preference.  I found the 835 lacking in body and soul, and the 935 still lacks soul but I'll take the body.

Whatever you pick, let us know how it turns out.

John Schalk:

--- Quote from: JohnPinchin on January 31, 2023, 07:34:45 PM ---Looking to add a few more mics,  I'm a big fan of the sennheiser 935/945 and have a few sm & b58's.   I'm tempted to try the v7 as an alternative but while reviews are generally positive, a couple of people have said the output is a bit lower. 

--- End quote ---
I use the SE v7 every week at a local club where I mix.  In my own mic "locker" I have Sennheiser 935 & 945 for vocal mics.  I think the v7 is a terrific value if you are looking for a dynamic, supercardiod vocal microphone.  Much smoother than a Beta 58, but perhaps not as detailed as a 945.  We don't have any problem with getting enough level from the v7.  They look great and fit in a Shure mic clip better than my Sennheisers too.

Don T. Williams:
They are both excellent mics if they fit the application.  I haven compaired them. They don't sound exactly the same, so if you are looking for a "duplicate" e935, the SE V7 isn't it.  There are some well known artists that prefer the V7 over anything else, but you can say the same thing about almost any professional vocal mic.  What works best for one artist might be really bad for another.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version