ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installed DJ gear choices  (Read 1483 times)

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Installed DJ gear choices
« on: January 31, 2023, 04:17:58 PM »

An install client wants basic gear for when the hired DJ's show up without theirs.
I haven't dealt with this since 2010 and I don't recognize anything anymore when I'm looking through gear websites.
When I last did this aspect of an install it was Pioneer DJM and CDJ's a Serato box and possibly a pair of Technics 1200's
The booth on this project will just be a large empty counter with a set of XLR's for main and monitors (overhead flown)  any gear will be individually cased, stored somewhere BOH and deployed as needed.
High end restaurant DJ background but configurable for dance floor if needed for private functions.  Adjacent to an actual nightclub so gear would be shared for usage there too.
Doesn't have to be the top of the line but if it was a PA mixer would be more like an M32 instead of a Digico (it may not be your first choice but you still can actually run a good show on it)

So should we be looking at one of those all-in-one systems (like XDJ-XZ) Or still go with separates (like CDJ900NXS + DJM750MK2)?
-is there other brands we should be looking at?  Is Serato still a thing?

Thanks for any clarity on this subject
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Tracy Garner

Re: Installed DJ gear choices
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 05:48:59 PM »

As a DJ, I would setup a small mixer the staff can use to do canned music and the DJ can "bring their own controller" to the gig. Most times DJs will use their own controller anyway and some DJs will just sit their controller on top of the house one (not good). Almost every controller I've seen that belongs to the house has something wrong with it anyway like platters malfunctioning or some knob broken or missing or drink was poured into it.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 07:51:04 PM »

As a DJ, I would setup a small mixer the staff can use to do canned music and the DJ can "bring their own controller" to the gig. Most times DJs will use their own controller anyway and some DJs will just sit their controller on top of the house one (not good). Almost every controller I've seen that belongs to the house has something wrong with it anyway like platters malfunctioning or some knob broken or missing or drink was poured into it.
You could rent when necessary.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 09:04:39 PM »

For the Wedding DJ side of my operation, I've gotten away from the high-end stuff simply due to expense and life-cycle obsolescence.

In the DJ world something equivalent to an M32 would be the Denon Prime 4 which is what I use for the mobile systems.  That's what I would install for a good "House System" - if they want something else, bring it themselves - plug and play from there.

EDIT:  Or the guest DJ put it in his rider and rent the gear he specifies.

With a Denon Prime 4 as the "House" system, and the option for the DJ to bring in his own gear - they wouldn't be renting often - most likely never.  It's the first "Stand-Alone" in the industry, don't need an outboard laptop or hard drive - it has an internal hard drive and full operating system self-contained.

I give my "Hired Gun" DJ's for the wedding work the option to plug whatever they want into my PA and never has one refused using the Denon Prime 4.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 09:57:47 AM by Steve-White »

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 08:31:18 AM »

I do lots of nightclub installs. I also DJ'd for about 15 years. If this is a restaurant that sometimes has DJ's, and the true purpose of the gear is to serve as a backup in the event the DJ forgets his gear (or chooses not to bring it) then I wouldn't shoot for the moon here. Industry standard these days is the Pioneer DJM-900NXS2 mixer and the CDJ-3000 decks. But that's about a $6k setup. It sounds like a decent controller such as the XDJ-XZ (about $2500) or the DJM-REV7 (about $1800) would be better suited.

Tracy Garner

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 08:38:55 AM »

For the Wedding DJ side of my operation, I've gotten away from the high-end stuff simply due to expense and life-cycle obsolescence.

In the DJ world something equivalent to an M32 would be the Denon Prime 4 which is what I use for the mobile systems.  That's what I would install for a good "House System" - if they want something else, bring it themselves - plug and play from there.

Denon Prime is really nice. Industry standard controller I would say goes to Pioneer DDJSRT1000 or the Rev7. There will be a real mixed bag of answers regarding which controller to purchase which is why I think many clubs just have a place for the DJ to plug in.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 01:33:35 PM »

Denon Prime is really nice. Industry standard controller I would say goes to Pioneer DDJSRT1000 or the Rev7. There will be a real mixed bag of answers regarding which controller to purchase which is why I think many clubs just have a place for the DJ to plug in.
Just got off zoom meeting with client, PM and some of their DJ prospects where I listed my findings. They are going with the Pioneer XDJ-XZ.  One of the attendees insisted that it is not just a controller and can be a standalone rig too like the Denon. -and it matches the CDJ3000/DJM900NXS that many of the DJ's will be bringing anyways.

So thanks for the input on this, I actually knew a bit of what they were all talking about for a change.
-Now I can get back to the Q-Sys and Powersoft installation I'm more used to.

I have a CDJ-1000 and DJM800 rig in storage I haven't opened in years and that will probably be a test&tune rig until all the inevitably backordered product arrives.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 01:55:27 PM »

Just got off zoom meeting with client, PM and some of their DJ prospects where I listed my findings. They are going with the Pioneer XDJ-XZ.  One of the attendees insisted that it is not just a controller and can be a standalone rig too like the Denon. -and it matches the CDJ3000/DJM900NXS that many of the DJ's will be bringing anyways.

So thanks for the input on this, I actually knew a bit of what they were all talking about for a change.
-Now I can get back to the Q-Sys and Powersoft installation I'm more used to.

I have a CDJ-1000 and DJM800 rig in storage I haven't opened in years and that will probably be a test&tune rig until all the inevitably backordered product arrives.

That's a REAL good choice.  For a House System in a club or for Weddings the Stand-Alone controllers are hands-down the way go.  Like the M32 they are the mid-tier workhorses.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 01:55:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.