ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Personal Mixer with Passthrough  (Read 2723 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Personal Mixer with Passthrough
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 02:42:20 PM »

Actually such mixers existed, just that they are like 16 channels and big. Peavey made the RQ1606M and A&H made the Mixwizard3 12M.

Agree on seeing if you can get the main board upgraded.

Peavey also had a number of MD series. MD12X6 had inserts, XLR in and out on all 12 channels. It was a 6-mix board.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 10:03:59 AM »

Actually such mixers existed

Rane's MM12 was a very odd duck, but quite useful.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Rick Earl

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 10:49:09 AM »

I've been out of the pro audio loop for some time, so I know nothing about the products available these days, but I cannot fathom why such a thing would not exist:

I need a 4(ish) channel mixer with passthrough on each channel. It would be used as a monitor at a piano or keyboard, able to mix a mic, piano, and a drum machine, etc. All that could be mixed locally, but then "forwarded" to front-of-house. Despite phrasing my Google search as many ways as possible, I cannot find anything of the sort. We are working with a very small setup in a church setting, and need all our AUX outputs for other purposes, but I just need something right there at the piano so I can hear myself, perhaps mixing down to a headphone amp of some kind.

Just need recommendations, please, as I'm completely stumped and swamped by Sweetwater ads that don't have the features I'm asking for. Am I really searching that far in the wrong direction that such a product doesn't exist? Am I missing some kind of obvious other solution? Thank you.

Since your system is relatively controlled, a straight, no-transformer isolated split would work, it would be easy and inexpensive to build, or just get "y" cables. If you want a little less interaction between the mixers, a simple resistor network can be incorporated into the split.  As long as all your cables are wired properly and you are only sending phantom power from one source, it should work fine.

Rick Earl

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 10:55:56 AM »

I've been out of the pro audio loop for some time, so I know nothing about the products available these days, but I cannot fathom why such a thing would not exist:

I need a 4(ish) channel mixer with passthrough on each channel. It would be used as a monitor at a piano or keyboard, able to mix a mic, piano, and a drum machine, etc. All that could be mixed locally, but then "forwarded" to front-of-house. Despite phrasing my Google search as many ways as possible, I cannot find anything of the sort. We are working with a very small setup in a church setting, and need all our AUX outputs for other purposes, but I just need something right there at the piano so I can hear myself, perhaps mixing down to a headphone amp of some kind.

Just need recommendations, please, as I'm completely stumped and swamped by Sweetwater ads that don't have the features I'm asking for. Am I really searching that far in the wrong direction that such a product doesn't exist? Am I missing some kind of obvious other solution? Thank you.

OR if you can find a dealer, you could take a chance on this: http://www.jts.com.tw/english/products/detail.php?fid=1&subid=7&pid=166

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 11:02:57 AM »

Actually such mixers existed, just that they are like 16 channels and big. Peavey made the RQ1606M and A&H made the Mixwizard3 12M.

Agree on seeing if you can get the main board upgraded.
IIRC they were called "monitor mixers" and a relatively small segment of the larger mixer market.

JR

[edit for TMI about Peavey's monitor mixers these sold in relatively small numbers. Last century when I tried to obsolete our small 16x6 monitor board because the fader inside it had gone obsolete and it would require a complete redesign to keep making them, that just wasn't justified for the modest sales volume. The dealers made such a stink when I announce EOL buys, that I came up with a compromise. I had one of my engineers design an adapter PCB so a modern fader could be dropped in place of the obsolete fader. This was not smiled upon by cost engineering from an assembly cost perspective, but the right decision since the old mixer was hand taped, and it would be a major (read expensive) project to redesign from scratch to interface with the modern factory assembly machinery. /edit] 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 03:41:46 PM by John Roberts {JR} »
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2023, 02:34:39 PM »

Rane's MM12 was a very odd duck, but quite useful.

Pretty sure I still have one of those around, along with the matching MA-6 amplifier.
This space for rent

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2023, 06:12:14 PM »

A really simple (but not so pretty) way to do this is to use four "Y" cables with one female XLR and two Male XLR plugs with a small (4 channel ?) mixer.  Most modern mixers are not bothered by the Y connectors.  Two exceptions:  There may be a ground difference between your mini monitor mixer and the house mixer, especially of the are run off different AC power circuits.  The second issue is phantom power.  If either mixer sends phantom power to all channels, or any of the shared channels, this can cause problems.  The ideal solution would be to use bridging or splitting transformers to isolate the mixers from each other.  I think I have seen 1 in/2 out prebuilt boxes with transformers for that very purpose, but I can't remember who made them.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023, 07:43:13 PM »

Pretty sure I still have one of those around, along with the matching MA-6 amplifier.

It was weird, though, amiright? As a tech geek, indeed, I can make this do cool shit, but who was the target market?
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2023, 08:04:03 PM »

We're considering upgrading the mixer as well to something a bit more versatile, but still, having a dedicated aux just for me at the piano will push the price higher than we're looking to pay.

Does adding an extra aux cost that much though???

Seriously I have seen a working Allen & Heath GL2400-32 (32 channels, 6 aux) go for $200. There are plenty of larger analog desks going for pennies on the dollar.

That being said, your church should get something digital; in addition to lots useful tools which can make the room feel better, it will allow your broadcast to feel much better, and it will also happen to have extra auxes for running your monitoring situation.

This will be a much better bang for your buck.

Even something as cheap as a Behringer XR16 could be a step in the right direction for you, but I would recommend spending a little more (X32, M32, A&H SQ, Yamaha TF etc).

Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2023, 09:54:34 PM »

It was weird, though, amiright? As a tech geek, indeed, I can make this do cool shit, but who was the target market?

Yeah, that whole channel 8, 8a, 8b and 8c thing was pretty weird.  I had it racked up with the MA6 and six channels of 1/3rd octave EQing and a separate monitor amp rack, when needed.  I eventually replaced it with the A&H MixWizMon and kept the MM12 around for rehearsal room duties. With all of the digital I own, the A&H is on the antique pile now.  Just waiting for that "Vintage" market to sky rocket! Come to think of it, I believe I bought that MM12 from someone on here, years ago.  I wouldn't hesitate to use it for the OP's purpose, other than I have a better option with the A&H.
This space for rent

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2023, 09:54:34 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.