ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installed network and an SQ  (Read 1378 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Installed network and an SQ
« on: January 30, 2023, 01:28:26 PM »

So the simple solution is a completely independent network-but given our workflow (dropping media into shared folders, etc.) one facility network is desirable.  We have a tech director from another church helping us-and he has created guest access, member access and office or tech access networks, but we are struggling with connecting our SQ with mobile devices.  I am unsure of his exact network settings and might not understand anyway-but maybe someone can point me where to look.  Setup looks like this:

SQ-static 192.168.9.202
Mac Mini static 192.168.9.199
iPhone (on wifi) static 192.168.9.195

SQ and mini talk
iPhone can see mini (with a network scan)
iPhone can't see or ping SQ

mini has no internet, phone has excellent internet

I know there are other settings that might be pertinent-but what puzzles me is how the SQ and iPhone can show the same network and not talk.  They were working before the network changes-phone AP is version 1.5.0, SQ is 1.5.1 which should work per A&H.
Steve Swaffer

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
Re: Installed network and an SQ
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 03:08:58 PM »

So the simple solution is a completely independent network-but given our workflow (dropping media into shared folders, etc.) one facility network is desirable.  We have a tech director from another church helping us-and he has created guest access, member access and office or tech access networks, but we are struggling with connecting our SQ with mobile devices.  I am unsure of his exact network settings and might not understand anyway-but maybe someone can point me where to look.  Setup looks like this:

SQ-static 192.168.9.202
Mac Mini static 192.168.9.199
iPhone (on wifi) static 192.168.9.195

SQ and mini talk
iPhone can see mini (with a network scan)
iPhone can't see or ping SQ

mini has no internet, phone has excellent internet

I know there are other settings that might be pertinent-but what puzzles me is how the SQ and iPhone can show the same network and not talk.  They were working before the network changes-phone AP is version 1.5.0, SQ is 1.5.1 which should work per A&H.

If any of the devices have static IP addresses set, make sure ALL of the devices have the same subnet mask and default gateway configured. The subnet masking is extremely important. It must be the same for all the devices in a common LAN. If all of the devices are using DHCP, then the subnet should be automatically configured. But if you have a mix of static IP and DHCP setups, then a misconfigured subnet mask in one or more of the devices is the first thing to check.

From your description of the problem, and list of IP addresses, I'm really inclined to suspect a misconfigured subnet mask on some of those listed devices. Usually in RFC1918 networks like that, the default mask is 255.255.255.0 (which is also shown as 192.168.9.0/24).

Also, if any devices are using static IP addressing, verify the default gateway is correctly set. That normally will be either 192.168.9.1 or 192.168.9.254. Some network admins prefer .254 while others like .1. Personally, I'm a .1 person myself.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 03:19:06 PM by Bill Meeks »

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 01:15:32 PM »

All are set the same.  He is using a mask of 255.255.254.0 and have had the gateway at 192.168.x.1  with the x being 6,7, or 8 during troubleshooting.
Steve Swaffer

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 04:30:35 PM »

All are set the same.  He is using a mask of 255.255.254.0 and have had the gateway at 192.168.x.1  with the x being 6,7, or 8 during troubleshooting.

The typical address range for that subnet mask would be 192.168.8.1 - 192.168.9.254. So, you should not use a 192.168.6.1 nor 192.168.7.1 for the gateway. That would be outside the subnet. That mask value (255.255.254.0) produces a network with 512 total hosts, but only 510 usable (you always reserve .0 for the network and .255 at the top for the broadcast address). Here is an IP subnetting calculator that will show the legal address ranges for different subnet masks: https://www.calculator.net/ip-subnet-calculator.html

You say the mini "has no Internet". Can you elaborate on that? Do you mean it cannot ping 8.8.8.8 (the Google DNS servers), or do you mean that it is unable to resolve Internet domains (for example, ping "google.com" fails but ping "8.8.8.8" succeeds)? If the latter (domain resolution fails), that means the DNS server is likely not correctly set.

Edit: One more possibility is an incorrectly configured Ethernet switch if the network admin configured VLANs (which I assume he may have based on your explanation of differing permissions for the networks). Also not directly familiar with Allen & Heath setups, but in Yamaha TF land multicast is used for some of the mobile connectivity. By default, many Wi-Fi APs disable multicast transmissions. So, to get mDNS and other traffic to flow on Wi-Fi, you must explicitly enable multicast transmission. Ubiquiti UniFi products are configured this way, for instance.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 05:53:05 PM by Bill Meeks »

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 09:37:04 PM »

That's interesting because he is using Ubiquiti APS and switches.

"No internet" was both nothing from 8.8.8.8 or web pages.  I know at one point changing the router fixed it-but then it was broke a couple days later.

Supposedly it is all working now-the mobile app issue was blamed on a bad ethernet cord on the mixer-which doesn't make sense when the mini and SQ were talking hardwired.  How could the same ethernet cable connection to the switch not allow mobile apps?  The mini SQ Mixpad able was solid and stable-not what I would expect on an iffy ethernet cable.

Not asking to be picky or criticize just trying to learn myself.
Steve Swaffer

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 11:29:38 PM »

That's interesting because he is using Ubiquiti APS and switches.

"No internet" was both nothing from 8.8.8.8 or web pages.  I know at one point changing the router fixed it-but then it was broke a couple days later.

Supposedly it is all working now-the mobile app issue was blamed on a bad ethernet cord on the mixer-which doesn't make sense when the mini and SQ were talking hardwired.  How could the same ethernet cable connection to the switch not allow mobile apps?  The mini SQ Mixpad able was solid and stable-not what I would expect on an iffy ethernet cable.

Not asking to be picky or criticize just trying to learn myself.

Yeah, I would agree that blaming it on just the cable going to the SQ is "iffy" when the SQ and Mini were communicating just fine. Perhaps something else was changed ??? (Not by you, but perhaps someone else during troubleshooting).

But if it's working well now, then all is good.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 01:05:26 PM by Bill Meeks »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 11:29:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.