ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The good old days of serviceability...  (Read 1853 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: The good old days of serviceability...
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 05:47:18 PM »

Yes! My stub nose GMC would get stuck between gears sometimes, I bent a hook on the end of a 1/8inch
rod to reach in through the grill to pull the linkage loose so to speak.......always with the engine off!!!

I owned a 1968 chevy van; the one where the engine was between the front seats. The shift linkage from the steering column to the transmission that was like 10 feet away was pretty hilarious
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2023, 06:51:46 PM »

I owned a 1968 chevy van; the one where the engine was between the front seats. The shift linkage from the steering column to the transmission that was like 10 feet away was pretty hilarious

Same here with the 1969 Handi Van, made it easy to tune while driving. I put a couple layers of moving
blankets over the engine compartment to cut down on the noise.
It was actually coming out of reverse where the linkage would get stuck sometimes. 

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2023, 08:18:40 PM »

Same here with the 1969 Handi Van, made it easy to tune while driving. I put a couple layers of moving
blankets over the engine compartment to cut down on the noise.
It was actually coming out of reverse where the linkage would get stuck sometimes.

I have owned several "classic" cars from the glory days of Detroit Muscle, but if I could only have one of them back, it would be that funky 68 chevy van. something so delightfully weird about it.

apologies for swerve....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2023, 11:06:34 PM »

I have owned several "classic" cars from the glory days of Detroit Muscle, but if I could only have one of them back, it would be that funky 68 chevy van. something so delightfully weird about it.

apologies for swerve....

I would want my 64 Corvette back.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2023, 11:58:21 PM »

apologies for swerve....
Vans are cool.

When I started working for the big regional company in town they had one of those handi-vans complete with a three on the tree. We called it the Red Rocket.  It would do about 65 going downhill, and there was no AC and no radio. I kinda wish it was still around though. It was quirky...
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2023, 02:29:02 PM »

Vans are cool.

When I started working for the big regional company in town they had one of those handi-vans complete with a three on the tree. We called it the Red Rocket.  It would do about 65 going downhill, and there was no AC and no radio. I kinda wish it was still around though. It was quirky...
I actually put the column shift back into my '63 chevy station wagon.  The aftermarket floor shifter had worn out so bad and I personally like the action on a properly restored column shift.
And a big part of it was the entertainment of watching the valet try to figure it out!  (yes I gigged for years in LA with a classic station wagon)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2023, 04:50:13 PM »

I actually put the column shift back into my '63 chevy station wagon.  The aftermarket floor shifter had worn out so bad and I personally like the action on a properly restored column shift.
And a big part of it was the entertainment of watching the valet try to figure it out!  (yes I gigged for years in LA with a classic station wagon)

IIRC the Hurst floor shifters were guaranteed for life..... I did break one, but they replaced it.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2023, 04:50:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.