ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Suggestions: Speakers in Reverberant Fellowship Hall  (Read 2373 times)

Ben Ellis

Need Suggestions: Speakers in Reverberant Fellowship Hall
« on: January 26, 2023, 06:50:00 PM »

I am in need of suggestions for speakers to be installed in a Fellowship Hall that is quite reverberant. The room dimensions are about 45' width x 55' length with a very high ceiling. The floor is carpeted and there is a minimal amount of sound treatment on the walls. I would appreciate suggestions of both brand/model and/or simply what type/form speaker is appropriate in this environment. There is a small stage at the front of the room that is about two feet higher than the main floor. Currently there are old EV models mounted on either side of the stage about 6-7 feet above main floor, so the sound is directed above the seated audience. The programs in this space are 95% single presenter with a wireless mic, and are mostly unintelligible. The budget is probably in the $2,000-$3,000 range. The amps in place can output 600 W/channel. Thank you.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Need Suggestions: Speakers in Reverberant Fellowship Hall
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 07:28:30 PM »

Can you post a picture of the hall and the equipment amps and all that is already in place?

I think your budget may be a little slim for this project done right.

Ben Ellis

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 08:21:16 PM »

Can you post a picture of the hall and the equipment amps and all that is already in place?

I think your budget may be a little slim for this project done right.

Thanks for replying, Mike. Please disregard the budget amount. I only added that because someone invariably needs a number. The budget is a non-factor right now. I'm just trying to collect information. Thanks.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 03:25:05 PM »

I am in need of suggestions for speakers to be installed in a Fellowship Hall that is quite reverberant. The room dimensions are about 45' width x 55' length with a very high ceiling. The floor is carpeted and there is a minimal amount of sound treatment on the walls.

Far too early to suggest any particular speaker over another, but I will say that, in general, you'll want to keep the sound off the reflecting walls (think narrow dispersion) and pointed at the carpeted floor and sound-absorbing attendees. If you don't need to produce full spectrum music (i.e. just spoken word or singing voice), filtering out lower frequencies can also help.

Are there any visual or physical restrictions that would limit the height of the speaker(s)?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 10:04:46 AM »

I am in need of suggestions for speakers to be installed in a Fellowship Hall that is quite reverberant. The room dimensions are about 45' width x 55' length with a very high ceiling. The floor is carpeted and there is a minimal amount of sound treatment on the walls. I would appreciate suggestions of both brand/model and/or simply what type/form speaker is appropriate in this environment. There is a small stage at the front of the room that is about two feet higher than the main floor. Currently there are old EV models mounted on either side of the stage about 6-7 feet above main floor, so the sound is directed above the seated audience. The programs in this space are 95% single presenter with a wireless mic, and are mostly unintelligible. The budget is probably in the $2,000-$3,000 range. The amps in place can output 600 W/channel. Thank you.

You’re going to want speakers with very tight pattern control across a wide frequency range so that you can keep the sound energy off the walls.  I’ve found Danley products to be very good for this. 

Have you considered acoustical treatment of the space?  That may be the best bang for your buck.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 10:44:40 AM »

As mentioned tight patterned speakers to more or less try to keep the sound where it's needed will be a given but even in a cave of a room that will only do so much.
Smaller distributed speakers can work well putting more people in the direct coverage field of the speakers.
+1 on acoustical room treatment.

Still need to see some pictures.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 12:16:41 PM »

Is there any provision to hang speakers from the very high ceiling? Getting them up in the air and aimed downward at the listeners would help a lot.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 12:16:41 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.