Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Need Suggestions: Speakers in Reverberant Fellowship Hall

(1/2) > >>

Ben Ellis:
I am in need of suggestions for speakers to be installed in a Fellowship Hall that is quite reverberant. The room dimensions are about 45' width x 55' length with a very high ceiling. The floor is carpeted and there is a minimal amount of sound treatment on the walls. I would appreciate suggestions of both brand/model and/or simply what type/form speaker is appropriate in this environment. There is a small stage at the front of the room that is about two feet higher than the main floor. Currently there are old EV models mounted on either side of the stage about 6-7 feet above main floor, so the sound is directed above the seated audience. The programs in this space are 95% single presenter with a wireless mic, and are mostly unintelligible. The budget is probably in the $2,000-$3,000 range. The amps in place can output 600 W/channel. Thank you.

Mike Caldwell:
Can you post a picture of the hall and the equipment amps and all that is already in place?

I think your budget may be a little slim for this project done right.

Ben Ellis:

--- Quote from: Mike Caldwell on January 26, 2023, 07:28:30 PM ---Can you post a picture of the hall and the equipment amps and all that is already in place?

I think your budget may be a little slim for this project done right.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for replying, Mike. Please disregard the budget amount. I only added that because someone invariably needs a number. The budget is a non-factor right now. I'm just trying to collect information. Thanks.

Dave Pluke:

--- Quote from: Ben Ellis on January 26, 2023, 06:50:00 PM ---I am in need of suggestions for speakers to be installed in a Fellowship Hall that is quite reverberant. The room dimensions are about 45' width x 55' length with a very high ceiling. The floor is carpeted and there is a minimal amount of sound treatment on the walls.

--- End quote ---

Far too early to suggest any particular speaker over another, but I will say that, in general, you'll want to keep the sound off the reflecting walls (think narrow dispersion) and pointed at the carpeted floor and sound-absorbing attendees. If you don't need to produce full spectrum music (i.e. just spoken word or singing voice), filtering out lower frequencies can also help.

Are there any visual or physical restrictions that would limit the height of the speaker(s)?

Dave

Erik Jerde:

--- Quote from: Ben Ellis on January 26, 2023, 06:50:00 PM ---I am in need of suggestions for speakers to be installed in a Fellowship Hall that is quite reverberant. The room dimensions are about 45' width x 55' length with a very high ceiling. The floor is carpeted and there is a minimal amount of sound treatment on the walls. I would appreciate suggestions of both brand/model and/or simply what type/form speaker is appropriate in this environment. There is a small stage at the front of the room that is about two feet higher than the main floor. Currently there are old EV models mounted on either side of the stage about 6-7 feet above main floor, so the sound is directed above the seated audience. The programs in this space are 95% single presenter with a wireless mic, and are mostly unintelligible. The budget is probably in the $2,000-$3,000 range. The amps in place can output 600 W/channel. Thank you.

--- End quote ---

You’re going to want speakers with very tight pattern control across a wide frequency range so that you can keep the sound energy off the walls.  I’ve found Danley products to be very good for this. 

Have you considered acoustical treatment of the space?  That may be the best bang for your buck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version