Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Finding a Production Job in the US

(1/4) > >>

Mark Olsen:
My wife is moving us from Australia to Colorado for 2024-26 and I'm tagging along as the +1 this time.

My normal job is in electrical engineering, but my passion is in production.
For about the last 15 years, I've moonlighted as a sound (and sometimes lighting) guy for a local regional production company.
I help them on big festivals and events, where there are multiple stages running at once.
I've got some good experience at the regional act level, but don't really play in the big, big time.

Anyway, when I'm in the US this time, I want to experience being in production full time.
What's the best way to find these jobs?

I've looked on the generic job boards and there are some, but here in Australia its all about who you know, and the best jobs aren't advertised.
How do I find those? Do they exist?
What else do I need to think about?

Mark

Justice C. Bigler:
Tell her you're going on tour, in Australia.

Craig Hauber:

--- Quote from: Mark Olsen on January 26, 2023, 06:40:43 AM ---but here in Australia its all about who you know, and the best jobs aren't advertised.

--- End quote ---

Same here, so whatever you are doing now will probably translate to here. 

brian maddox:

--- Quote from: Mark Olsen on January 26, 2023, 06:40:43 AM ---...
Anyway, when I'm in the US this time, I want to experience being in production full time.
What's the best way to find these jobs?

I've looked on the generic job boards and there are some, but here in Australia its all about who you know, and the best jobs aren't advertised.

Mark

--- End quote ---

"Who you know" is not unique to Australia, it's just the human condition.

Since you've got a year, I would focus on the "who you know" part and try to interact with techs that are US based. One good place to start is with the Signal To Noise Podcast community. Use the googles and you should be able to find the podcasts as well as the discord group. There are a LOT of touring pros on there and it's a great community to become a part of. I would also try to leverage anyone you may know that has done work in the US or knows someone who has. Prioritize building relationships first. Again, you've got a year to work on this. Get to know some folks. Have them get to know you. Learn some things from them, and hopefully help them learn some things from you. When you're a part of a community like that, the work opportunities will then present themselves organically.

Good luck!

Dave Pluke:

--- Quote from: Mark Olsen on January 26, 2023, 06:40:43 AM ---My wife is moving us from Australia to Colorado for 2024-26 and I'm tagging along as the +1 this time.

--- End quote ---

I'm assuming you know to what City you'll be relocating? If so, I'd start researching the Venues that are hosting the types of events that interest you, along with the Production Companies based there.  For better or for worse, Live Nation has their claws into just about every metropolitan area, so their job posting site might be an avenue.

I have no idea how difficult getting a work permit might be. Best to get that process started ASAP.

If you can, have the people you've worked with/for in Australia write recommendations. The more specific, the better.

Good luck!
Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version