ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Finding a Production Job in the US  (Read 1734 times)

Mark Olsen

• Canberra, Australia
Finding a Production Job in the US
« on: January 26, 2023, 06:40:43 AM »

My wife is moving us from Australia to Colorado for 2024-26 and I'm tagging along as the +1 this time.

My normal job is in electrical engineering, but my passion is in production.
For about the last 15 years, I've moonlighted as a sound (and sometimes lighting) guy for a local regional production company.
I help them on big festivals and events, where there are multiple stages running at once.
I've got some good experience at the regional act level, but don't really play in the big, big time.

Anyway, when I'm in the US this time, I want to experience being in production full time.
What's the best way to find these jobs?

I've looked on the generic job boards and there are some, but here in Australia its all about who you know, and the best jobs aren't advertised.
How do I find those? Do they exist?
What else do I need to think about?

Mark

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Finding a Production Job in the US
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 04:52:56 PM »

Tell her you're going on tour, in Australia.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 06:36:46 PM »

but here in Australia its all about who you know, and the best jobs aren't advertised.

Same here, so whatever you are doing now will probably translate to here. 
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 03:18:57 PM »

Anyway, when I'm in the US this time, I want to experience being in production full time.
What's the best way to find these jobs?

I've looked on the generic job boards and there are some, but here in Australia its all about who you know, and the best jobs aren't advertised.

Mark

"Who you know" is not unique to Australia, it's just the human condition.

Since you've got a year, I would focus on the "who you know" part and try to interact with techs that are US based. One good place to start is with the Signal To Noise Podcast community. Use the googles and you should be able to find the podcasts as well as the discord group. There are a LOT of touring pros on there and it's a great community to become a part of. I would also try to leverage anyone you may know that has done work in the US or knows someone who has. Prioritize building relationships first. Again, you've got a year to work on this. Get to know some folks. Have them get to know you. Learn some things from them, and hopefully help them learn some things from you. When you're a part of a community like that, the work opportunities will then present themselves organically.

Good luck!
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 03:36:22 PM »

My wife is moving us from Australia to Colorado for 2024-26 and I'm tagging along as the +1 this time.

I'm assuming you know to what City you'll be relocating? If so, I'd start researching the Venues that are hosting the types of events that interest you, along with the Production Companies based there.  For better or for worse, Live Nation has their claws into just about every metropolitan area, so their job posting site might be an avenue.

I have no idea how difficult getting a work permit might be. Best to get that process started ASAP.

If you can, have the people you've worked with/for in Australia write recommendations. The more specific, the better.

Good luck!
Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 04:30:41 PM »

Listen to the smart guys. Interactive industry podcasts as networking tools is some modern thinking.

"Who you know" is not unique to Australia, it's just the human condition.

Since you've got a year, I would focus on the "who you know" part and try to interact with techs that are US based. One good place to start is with the Signal To Noise Podcast community. Use the googles and you should be able to find the podcasts as well as the discord group. There are a LOT of touring pros on there and it's a great community to become a part of. ...

Good luck!

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 02:21:41 AM »

I have no idea how difficult getting a work permit might be. Best to get that process started ASAP.
You’re going to need a Green Card, unless you already have dual citizenship.

If you’re wife’s company is sponsoring her, then it might be a bit easier? But you’ll need to talk to an immigration attorney. There might even be help available from your wife’s company as part of her employment deal.

Once you get the Green Card, hook up with your local IATSE Local hiring hall (we’re the union behind entertainment). Might take a bit to start getting calls, but once you do and prove you’re a good worker and have a worthwhile skill set you get more work.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Mark Olsen

• Canberra, Australia
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 05:51:39 PM »

You’re going to need a Green Card, unless you already have dual citizenship.

Yep, I have the Green Card situation under control. Without going into too much detail, the circumstances around my wife going over supports spouse green card.

How easy is it to join the IATSE union? Looks like Local 62 covers the area I'll be in.

Mark

Mark Olsen

• Canberra, Australia
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 05:56:08 PM »

One good place to start is with the Signal To Noise Podcast community. Use the googles and you should be able to find the podcasts as well as the discord group.

Wow .. thanks for that, I love Podcasts and I didn't know about this one.
I've been on PSW forums for years now, but I must have been living under a rock to miss this ...

Mark

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 03:12:18 AM »

How easy is it to join the IATSE union? Looks like Local 62 covers the area I'll be in.

Mark

Well, joining IATSE and getting work under a CBA are two different things, and one doesn’t necessarily lead to the other. Our current International President has encouraged locals to adopt a more relaxed standard of entry to their membership requirements than they have had in the past. Getting work with IATSE on one of their CBAs is a matter of working your way up the call list. But, in most small and medium sized locals, there’s a shortage of qualified audio engineers; so once you’ve proven that you are a good worker and have a solid skill set you’ll probably be working pretty consistently.

Or, you can get hired by one of the bottom feeder Broadway touring companies, get them to just buy you a card, and then spend your days slaving away on one nighters, and your 5 hours of the day that’s left sleeping on a bus.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 03:12:18 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.