Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

I am putting together a small sound system and need advice!

(1/13) > >>

Mike Klemp:
Hi LAB!

I have been watching and reading the forums for a few years now and believe me, I have learned a lot from all the experienced people on the forums!

My question(s) are concerning any advice I could be given regarding my new system. I do realize that some of the equipment on my list may fall far short of what the "true professionals" on here are using, (and I mean this comment made about "true professionals" in the utmost respect).

The primary use will be sound reinforcement for the band, and also reinforcement for other acts, of course on a small scale...

All the equipment listed was purchased new (except for the power amps) and has yet to be "fired up"

The system I have put together is the following:

1 - Allen and Heath 22 channel (ZED22) mixer

4 - Peavey PV215 Speakers (2 way speakers, 4 ohms each & 700 watt program rated - 1,400 watt peak)

2 - Peavey PV 118 Sub woofers (8 ohms each & 400 watt program rated)

1 - Crown XTi 4000 power amp (650 watts per channel @ 8 ohms/1,200 watts per channel @ 4 ohms/3,200 watts per channel @ 4 ohms bridged)

2 - Crown XTi 2000 power amps ( 475 watts per channel @ 8 ohms/800 watts per channel @ 4ohms/2,000 watts per channel @ 4ohms bridged)

1 - dbx DriveRack PA2 Speaker Management System

1 - dbx DriveRack RTA-M Real Time Analyzer Microphone

1 - 24 Channel Snake - (1 50' and 1 200')

Obviously I will have all the necessary cords etc...

My questions are:

1. What would the recommendations be as far as how to run the power amps to the speakers and subs?  (I read that you can daisy chain the subs to the mains (built in crossovers) but I have a separate rack mounted crossover.)

2. Knowing my limitations as far as speakers, subs, and amps, should I add 2 more PV 118 subs? ( My thought was to stack each PV 215 on their own separate PV 118 sub? Or, do you feel that 2 subs and 4 full range speakers would be enough for my smaller gigs?

3. The primary use would be for bands doing small indoor gigs (probably up to the size of a basketball court) and smaller outdoor set-ups. Very little if any "DJ type work.

4. Should I keep the Driverack or is that overkill for my system?

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read my post and comment... You can never put a price on someone's wisdom and experience!

Best Regards,

Mike

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Mike Klemp on January 25, 2023, 01:11:27 AM ---Hi LAB!

I have been watching and reading the forums for a few years now and believe me, I have learned a lot from all the experienced people on the forums!

My question(s) are concerning any advice I could be given regarding my new system. I do realize that some of the equipment on my list may fall far short of what the "true professionals" on here are using, (and I mean this comment made about "true professionals" in the utmost respect).

The primary use will be sound reinforcement for the band, and also reinforcement for other acts, of course on a small scale...

All the equipment listed was purchased new (except for the power amps) and has yet to be "fired up"

1 - Allen and Heath 22 channel (ZED22) mixer

4 - Peavey PV215 Speakers (2 way speakers, 4 ohms each & 700 watt program rated - 1,400 watt peak)

2 - Peavey PV 118 Sub woofers (8 ohms each & 400 watt program rated)

1 - Crown XTi 4000 power amp (650 watts per channel @ 8 ohms/1,200 watts per channel @ 4 ohms/3,200 watts per channel @ 4 ohms bridged)

2 - Crown XTi 2000 power amps ( 475 watts per channel @ 8 ohms/800 watts per channel @ 4ohms/2,000 watts per channel @ 4ohms bridged)

1 - dbx DriveRack PA2 Speaker Management System

1 - dbx DriveRack RTA-M Real Time Analyzer Microphone

1 - 24 Channel Snake - (1 50' and 1 200')

Obviously I will have all the necessary cords etc...

My questions are:

1. What would the recommendations be as far as how to run the power amps to the speakers and subs?  (I read that you can daisy chain the subs to the mains (built in crossovers) but I have a separate rack mounted crossover.)

2. Knowing my limitations as far as speakers, subs, and amps, should I add 2 more PV 118 subs? ( My thought was to stack each PV 215 on their own separate PV 118 sub? Or, do you feel that 2 subs and 4 full range speakers would be enough for my smaller gigs?

3. The primary use would be for bands doing small indoor gigs (probably up to the size of a basketball court) and smaller outdoor set-ups. Very little if any "DJ type work.

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read my post and comment... You can never put a price on someone's wisdom and experience!

Best Regards,

Mike

--- End quote ---

If you have been hanging out and lurking then you should know that the first thing is what is the application for the system?  Why would you go out and buy gear before asking questions?  You have some mediocre speakers,  OK amps and an ancient analog mixer.  Maybe that is the right system, no way of knowing until you tell us what you are going to do with it.  Can you return any of it?

Jeff Lelko:

--- Quote from: Mike Klemp on January 25, 2023, 01:11:27 AM ---The primary use will be sound reinforcement for the band, and also reinforcement for other acts, of course on a small scale...

My questions are:

--- End quote ---

Hi Mike, here's my two cents:

1. You'll get more control over the crossover if you "roll your own" with an external unit versus any internal bandpass crossover.  You also won't need to deal with driving subs and tops with the same amp channel either, so barring a very specific reason to daisy chain the subs and tops I'd avoid it. 

2. Maybe.  As Scott has already mentioned there's a lot of "it depends" in here.  What you have will make noise but won't be anything special.  Much of this equipment is very antiquated.  Subwoofer quantities often have a degree of variability involved given the type of music you'll be playing and how much presence you want the bass to have.  I'd vote to listen to what you have and see how you like it before throwing more money at it.

3. Not really a question, but as already mentioned what you have will make noise.  I'd be much more interested in how you arrived at the Z22 mixer.  Aside from a throw-in backup there's no reason not to buy a digital board in this day and age.

4. It'll let you set crossover points.  I still use a dedicated DSP in my systems to handle delay and crossover.  While my mixer can technically do this too I prefer the rigidity of a DSP that can't be easily changed.

Hope this helps!

Mike Caldwell:
With the speakers, amps and DSP you have here is how I would set it up.

Mixer - DSP (main EQ, Crossover, limiting) - Xti 4000 for the subs - Xti 2000 for the top boxes.
I assume the Xti's are the older silver front version.

First download Crown Band Manager software and contact your amps to the computer, check and clear out any old setting and run the firmware up date on them. Turn off all the processing in the amp except the limiting that is last in the processing chain, set it to -3db.

If you did not have the DR PA2 you could do the processing in the amps.

Get an iPad and install the DBX DR PA2 app, or you can use and Android Tablet or a PC. Connect the PA to a WIFI router, connect your device to that network and open up the DR PA app.

Set the PA2 for the stereo bi-amp, 80hz crossover, 24db LR slope, set a 40hz high pass 24db BW cutoff.
Use the main input EQ on the PA2 for the overall system, the set output limiters so the amps don't clip.

Play back some music through the system to get a general balance in level between the top boxes and subs, the subs will more than likely be all the way up and the amp for the top boxes turned down a little or not!

There is a little more in depth set up you could do on the PA2 but that will get up up and running with what you have.   

I would not bother with trying to use the auto EQ set up function on the PA2.

I agree with Jeff on keeping the system DSP processing (maybe short of main system EQ)
out of the mixer and running a stand alone outboard DSP.

Dave Pluke:

--- Quote from: Mike Klemp on January 25, 2023, 01:11:27 AM ---

--- End quote ---

Mike,

A few observations/comments in no particular order:

The best investment is the system that's already paid off. I would question the wisdom of throwing more money at what you currently have, except, perhaps, to add another pair of (matching) Subs.

Get your system configured as best as possible (see Mike's info) and run it 'til it drops.

In the meantime, plan ahead for making new investments into newer and "next level" gear.

While the dbx DSPs get sideways glances from some, the PA2 was a huge improvement and I use some on biamped monitor mixes. Remember to clear the Feedback filters before each gig.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version