ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Experience with Phenyx Pro Wireless Microphone Systems?  (Read 3435 times)

Scott Russell

Experience with Phenyx Pro Wireless Microphone Systems?
« on: January 24, 2023, 10:48:14 AM »

Does anyone have experience with the Phenyx systems? Particularly the PTU-5000A and the PTU-7000A?  They would be used in a small church environment with the receiver units in the balcony.

Thank you.

Matthias McCready

Re: Experience with Phenyx Pro Wireless Microphone Systems?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 11:24:05 AM »

Does anyone have experience with the Phenyx systems? Particularly the PTU-5000A and the PTU-7000A?  They would be used in a small church environment with the receiver units in the balcony.

Thank you.

No.

But save your money.

My experience with wireless is you get exactly what you pay for. I have seen many churches buy whatever "wireless" is cheapest, and I have yet to see it work out well. Sometimes it doesn't work at all, sometimes is mostly works, but sounds awful and has drop out issues. Most budget systems are plagued by noise issues such as: lots of handling noise that is louder than talking, limited frequency and compression (AM radio sounding), distortion, and so much noise/hiss that trying to get it to broadcast levels (for streaming the service) is probably a lost cause.

Simply put cheap wireless doesn't save you money, it is not good stewardship of the resources you have.

The most "inexpensive" wireless I have found to be reliable is Shure's newish SLX-D (digital not analog, the old analog SLX is awful), however Shure QLX-D is a little better yet.

Note that this is about $700+ per channel of wireless; if you are cheaper than that, wired is usually a much better option.

---

Point and case you can buy a wired SM58 for $100, and it will simply work. You can spend upwards of $3,000 for a wireless channel with an SM58 capsule; one which will hopefully work as well as the wired version. Only your $3,000 version requires batteries, and is much more fragile than your $100 mic and cable.

So if several thousand for wireless isn't in the cards, may I recommend staying wired?

If the pastor really desires are wireless mic, get a single channel of something decent. Also another money saving tip, LAV/Headset mics tend to break quite easily (I have had to replace more of those than I care to remember  :o ) so when budget friendly is priority, steer people towards using an actual hand-held mic. As an added bonus, those usually offer superior gain before feedback compared to most LAV/Headset mics (due to the microphone pickup pattern).
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 11:47:12 AM »

No experience with those particular units, but I think I would avoid them just based on the price point.  I've used some others in that price range and they seem to just be bad. Poor build quality, excess handling noise (defeats the purpose of wireless handheld), loose electronic connections after a bit of hard use.  A four-in-one unit is tempting, but at that price it's like not modular and one simple failure in the main receiver might mean losing all four channels at once.

Consumer reviews on Amazon praise the build quality of the units you mentioned, but it's hard to tell if they are objectively well constructed, or just on the better end of the price point (or if the reviews are actually legit).  More importantly, people complained about handling noise, and signal dropping out when they were well in range.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 12:07:48 PM »

No.

Simply put cheap wireless doesn't save you money, it is not good stewardship of the resources you have.

The most "inexpensive" wireless I have found to be reliable is Shure's newish SLX-D (digital not analog, the old analog SLX is awful), however Shure QLX-D is a little better yet.

Note that this is about $700+ per channel of wireless; if you are cheaper than that, wired is usually a much better option.

I would like to point out that wired is ALWAYS a better option. Even on the biggest productions in the world those high-dollar wireless mics are almost always backed up by a wired mic hiding off stage in case the wireless goes dead.

If you are out in the country there are several 2.4ghz type mics that should work well for you, but if you live in a more congested space you need to spend money on better mics. The Shure SLXD mentioned above is a good budget choice.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 12:36:31 PM »

I would like to point out that wired is ALWAYS a better option. Even on the biggest productions in the world those high-dollar wireless mics are almost always backed up by a wired mic hiding off stage in case the wireless goes dead.

I can confirm this, we keep a wired backup for our Shure Axient rig. Haven't had to use it yet, but it is there.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 01:04:11 PM »

I've said this before and I'll say it again except for the pastor I don't understand why on a tight budget performers that usually just stand in one place need a wireless mic system.
 it's not a good use of money,  until you get up into the decent ones shure Sennheiser Etc except for Aesthetics there's really no point on a tight budget.
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 01:38:21 PM »

Don't even consider those or for that matter any four channel wireless system that only cost $200.

My experience with any wireless system like those and there are a few of them out there is they all are having issues with at least one channel that is dead. The handhelds with those systems that I have done a check one two with all have had some of the worst handling noise I've ever heard.
Any system I have worked using a system like those they always mention issues with the wireless and I say there's nothing I can do to fix them.

If needed and it will work in the given space my budget wireless choice is the Audio Technica 2000 series.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 01:45:19 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 02:15:52 PM »

I've said this before and I'll say it again except for the pastor I don't understand why on a tight budget performers that usually just stand in one place need a wireless mic system.
 it's not a good use of money,  until you get up into the decent ones shure Sennheiser Etc except for Aesthetics there's really no point on a tight budget.

Wireless mics get you closer to God.

I swear I have this fight so often. I'll put a perfectly functional and great sounding gooseneck mic on a lecturn in a classroom and they complain it "picks up everything" so they want a wireless HH instead, UNTIL they find out that with a handheld they actually have to, you know, hold it and then they want a headset. So at that point we've spent 1500 bucks to get back to a mic that looks silly and still picks up everything.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 02:41:33 PM »

"so they want a wireless HH instead, UNTIL they find out that with a handheld they actually have to, you know, hold it somewhere around their mouth and then they want a headset."

I fixed that for you!!

Thomas Le

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 03:45:22 PM »

Never heard of this brand. Stick to established name brands ala Shure or Sennheiser or Audio Technica.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 03:45:22 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.