ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lifting tower suggestions / options (ProX, Kuzar, others)  (Read 2926 times)

Eric du Toit

Lifting tower suggestions / options (ProX, Kuzar, others)
« on: January 23, 2023, 06:38:36 PM »

What is your experience with lifting towers and are there brands I should consider?

Use is for a pair of Danley J7s (~300lb with hardware) or SH96HOs (also under 300lb with hardware) and possibly some trussing with lights between them depending on the event and a close to 20' height.  Two lifting towers that I believe will work are the Kuzar K40 and the ProX XTF-FT6033

https://shopmtn.com/products/kuzar-tower-lift-k-40
https://www.proxdirect.com/products/view/FANTEK-Spain-Compact-Front-Loading-Lifting-Line-Array-Systems-Tower-728-lbs-Cap-Max-Height-1952ft-Incl-Line-Array-Adapter-XTF-FT

The K40 has a max load of 595 leaving about 250lb per side for any trussing and lights
The ProX is 728 leaving 380lb per side

They both fold to about the same just under 6' height and similar weight (330-350lb)

The Kuzar comes in about $2800 cheaper for the pair (current pricing + shipping) depending on where I order from.

What other options should I consider?  Am I missing something between these two towers - they both appear to be able to meet my needs? 

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
Re: Lifting tower suggestions / options (ProX, Kuzar, others)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 08:10:00 PM »

What is your experience with lifting towers and are there brands I should consider?

Use is for a pair of Danley J7s (~300lb with hardware) or SH96HOs (also under 300lb with hardware) and possibly some trussing with lights between them depending on the event and a close to 20' height.  Two lifting towers that I believe will work are the Kuzar K40 and the ProX XTF-FT6033

https://shopmtn.com/products/kuzar-tower-lift-k-40
https://www.proxdirect.com/products/view/FANTEK-Spain-Compact-Front-Loading-Lifting-Line-Array-Systems-Tower-728-lbs-Cap-Max-Height-1952ft-Incl-Line-Array-Adapter-XTF-FT

The K40 has a max load of 595 leaving about 250lb per side for any trussing and lights
The ProX is 728 leaving 380lb per side

They both fold to about the same just under 6' height and similar weight (330-350lb)

The Kuzar comes in about $2800 cheaper for the pair (current pricing + shipping) depending on where I order from.

What other options should I consider?  Am I missing something between these two towers - they both appear to be able to meet my needs?

I have some of the Pro X units. They have been pretty good.
My Genies are simpler.
When figuring loads, don't forget to look at the load positions on the forks.
These are load charts for the 2 lifts.
I would also get the attachment for rigging speakers and keeping the forks from compressing towards each other.  https://www.proxdirect.com/products/view/FANTEK-Line-Array-Adapter-with-Hanging-Ring-for-XTF-FT6033-Lifting-Tower-XTF-ATF17PA

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 05:28:57 PM »

When figuring loads, don't forget to look at the load positions on the forks.

I would also get the attachment for rigging speakers and keeping the forks from compressing towards each other. 
Fork position ratings are very important. It may look like towers from different brands are similarly rated, but the fork position may tell a different story. We have Mobil Tech and VMB cantilevered towers. The VMBs are a superior product. Easier and a little bit smoother to use. Though the VMBs are much larger with a higher weight bearing capacity, which makes them less easy to move around.
I have found different products from Pro-X to have varying degrees of quality. A colleague of mine bought some Pro-X trussing and it was missing welds in some places. Not purposefully omitted, simply overlooked in the manufacturing process.
I used to be concerned about the forks compressing toward each other, then a friend pointed out that the "squeeze" load is actually less than the "lift" load, and it is all loading the exact same components. The forks could not possibly squeeze together without them first bending toward the ground.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 09:00:26 AM »

+1 for VMB. We used to have Sumners Eventer20s and replaced them with VMB TL-A500s which was a massive upgrade in height and weight capacity. The build quality is much higher than the Sumners and they're easier to move around and deploy.

We've started buying some smaller VMB truss and lighting tower lifts and they've been similarly great.

Yes the VMBs are expensive, but overhead suspension is not the time to cut costs. I also think the VMBs will outlast a lot of other similar products if used correctly. Creative Stage Lighting is the US distributor, I'd recommend reaching out to them for pricing.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 05:57:15 AM »

. . .

I'd consider that none of these are rated for outdoor use.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 05:57:15 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.