ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Passive Wedges - what good ones are out there?  (Read 4654 times)

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Passive Wedges - what good ones are out there?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2023, 04:36:10 PM »

Performers who insist on 2 wedges with identical program material... we can't make the pair as loud as, or sound as good as a single wedge.  "Captain, I canna rewrite the laws of physics!"

Yeah, it's a perception vs reality thing and when I tell performers they'll hear better with one wedge (and prove it to them with a demo) the response is, "okay, but do it with 2 wedges".   Sure thing, pal.  Shoot yourself in the gonads with this because it will be worse, not better, not louder, not more intelligible.  Nothing gets through to them, though, so I'm not sure it matters so long as they see 2 wedges.

100% agree two wedges only creates more problems, not more volume, and you're probably right regarding relative horn orientation. Perhaps I'm also just as guilty of perception vs. reality in this case.

At the local JBL house all those acts that were happy with the 712 are now just as happy with the STX812M so that's what they are using. No problems.

I tried to find some of these, but unfortunately that product is also discontinued and JBL seems to have sold way more SRX712M than STX812M so in our case, 712s were easier to find on the used market.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2023, 05:14:56 PM »

I tried to find some of these, but unfortunately that product is also discontinued and JBL seems to have sold way more SRX712M than STX812M so in our case, 712s were easier to find on the used market.

Oh wow. I did not realize these were no longer available. Didn't they just come out?

I hate getting old......
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2023, 06:30:18 PM »

Oh wow. I did not realize these were no longer available. Didn't they just come out?

I hate getting old......

Stx800 series is 10+ years old

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2023, 08:57:13 AM »

Clair is selling their old Clair/Showco SRM passive wedges - they're $1350/pair with a road case. I've used these a number of times and they are MONSTERS. They get scary loud, are crystal clear, and pretty resistant to feedback. You will need a Lake processor for them, but they're quite potent little wedges...

https://clairusedgear.com/products/srm_package

+1

I've been snagging used Clair wedges, when I can. Nobody has complained to date (except the hands that have to carry them).

The bespoke Lake DSP is great, but I've had good luck with other, more affordable, units.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2023, 10:30:02 AM »

There's also the JBL TTM149.  I see a bunch for sale now and then (there's 14 on auction ending today) that I believe are essentially a biamp only version of the SRX712M but with a 14" LF driver.  There's also a TTM129 that closely resembles the SRX712M that had a 2451H and a 2206HPL 12".  However there's minimal info out there, but maybe one of the more JBL savvy folks here can chime in. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 10:33:49 AM by Brian Bolly »

scottstephens

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2023, 10:34:11 AM »

Here's what I use for my power drops from the daisy chain.  I modified these edison splitters with powercon ends, and add a coupling to the next cable. This gives complete wall-wart accessability.

Dave,

How long are the tails?

Scott

Nate Zifra

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2023, 11:04:18 AM »

Yea, but then you need to run an XLR cable.

When your on a multi band festival, it gets a little messy when you have to move the wedges around the stage.  with passive speaker, I can just unplug the Speakon and re-run that.  With powered speakers, I have to look for a power outlet.

As mentioned earlier, the "Siamese" type cables are key here for active wedges.  No knock on passive wedges at all, but as you can see from this thread, going passive certainly limits your choices.  I built my own cables, and also use these from Elite Core

https://elitecoreaudio.com/elite-core-powered-speaker-cable-xlr-ac/

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2023, 11:47:46 AM »

As mentioned earlier, the "Siamese" type cables are key here for active wedges.  No knock on passive wedges at all, but as you can see from this thread, going passive certainly limits your choices.  I built my own cables, and also use these from Elite Core

Personally not a big fan of those. There is always an a/c drop close by for power that the supplied cable will reach. Then it’s just a matter of grabbing the right length XLR to patch in.
When using those siamese cables I either have too short or 50’ of cable rolled up beside the wedge. Not a solution for me, maybe for others.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 11:49:07 PM by Bradford "BJ" James »
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Mal Brown

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2023, 01:07:55 PM »

Yamaha DHr-12M powered 12" coax is what I use.  I run a multi outlet cable for frontline and backline. and drop quad boxes front line gets an 8/4 drop snake.  On the rare occasion I need 5 front line wedges I'll power up the closest to stage box with a home run.  I do the same with near and far backline and drums. 

Maybe not acceptable at the highest level but...  I get no complaints from the regional acts I handle and  it is overall a much cleaner stage that I get to play on when my bnds are at regional festivals.

When I do get an act taller than 'regional' - the almost always need front power for Helix, Kemper, pedal boards, iDevice charging, etc...

I have had 4 12 and horn passive Renkus wedges, a rack with 2 QSC CX-502 power amps and hard wired i/o panel plus cables for sale in the PDX market for 2 years.  I couldn't get a nibble at $300 a channel...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 01:12:27 PM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mal Brown

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2023, 01:22:24 PM »

Nate, when you built your own siamese cables, did you use some form of jacket to keep them together ?
I did a 150' power, talk back and duracat years back and used zip ties.  Nobody wanted to deal with it as the zip ties tore the crap out of everything.  Hands, calves, tee shirts...  disassembled it after enough crew complaints ...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2023, 01:22:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.